It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian bombers penetrated U.S. airspace

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I didn't see any thread on this. That got me worried. It may be a common thing but with Ukraine and ISIS and such crap happening....

www.washingtontimes.com...

What were they doing? Pretty dumb if you ask me.

Russian strategic nuclear bombers conducted at least 16 incursions into northwestern U.S. air defense identification zones over the past 10 days, an unusually sharp increase in aerial penetrations, according to U.S. defense officials.

Seems to me that 'they' are playing games.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

They did not penetrate US air space.

They were where they are allowed to be. A U.S. air defense identification zone is just an area that the US would like to know what is flying toward them. Russia can put anything it wants up there, it is after all is said and done, International Airspace.

P

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Seems to me that 'they' are playing games.

Old school Cold War games it seems.

The Russian Bear wants to play peek a boo...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Ha was just about to post this..

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Routine long range bomber flying training sessions probably.
edit on 9-8-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
This has been going on weekly for years. Nothing new, nothing scary about it.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

What got my attention was " an unusually sharp increase". I understand they been doing this forever but one needs to pay attention especially with the increased US sanctions against Russia ect. and articles like this one....link
finance.yahoo.com...
from link
World War on Russia’s Mind When U.S. Duels Over Ukraine
From his perch as Vladimir Putin's adviser for building ties with fellow former Soviet republics, Sergei Glazyev perceives the world shifting to a war footing.

There's a war waged against Russia with economic sanctions and military conflicts roiling Ukraine to Iraq, according to Glazyev, 53, an academician and a native of Ukraine who for the past two years has advised Putin on integration with Belarus and Kazakhstan. Putin struck back this week with a ban on U.S. and European food imports that may benefit

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Maybe just all fear and hype but always good to pay attention.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

It's a slow news day I see. Just like the US there are ebbs and flows to these fights. There will be five or six in a couple of areas, then almost nothing for two weeks, then a bunch more. There's usually one or two a week though.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
In an actual nuclear war the subs would strike first followed by the ICBM and then the bombers. At least that is how I would do it. These bombers don't pose much threat to any advanced air defense system that hasn't already been decimated by the initial strikes from weapons platforms that are much harder to intercept.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I was under the impression that this kind of thing was routine with both American and Russian jets nearing each other's airspace at various times.

I was also under the impression is was almost welcomed unofficially for drill purposes.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
This seems to sum up the modern (not so) cold war-

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

www.westernjournalism.com...

Major Beth Smith, spokeswoman for NORAD, commented about the incursions, saying, ” Over the past week, NORAD has visually identified Russian aircraft operating in and around the U.S. air defense identification zones.”

Bill Gertz of the Washington Free Beacon, who broke the story, wrote that the bomber flights are the “latest case of nuclear saber rattling by the Russians.”

Russia also violated the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty of 1987 signed by Reagan and Gorbachev by testing a nuclear cruise missile.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

I love when journalists open their mouth and prove how stupid they are. The bombers in question, just like our bonnets, can be used for many things. But since they're nuclear capable, it must be nuclear saber rattling.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's fine but dont you find it worrying?

The fact that they even mention such a common thing?

rt.com...
edit on 8/9/2014 by Deaf Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Not in the least. They always bring it up when it's a slow news day. I grew up when this was almost a daily event, they had ELINT trawlers shadowing our carrier groups, and at least one or two trawlers more or less permanently parked off the coasts.

This is nothing.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Flexing of muscles, show of power. The USA does this too, so does China. Every time a country does something that pisses off another country stuff like this happens.

It's so predictable, almost like the leaders are expected to do things like this to look normal.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I'm sure if said bombers had as much as twitched they could easily have been blown from the sky considering there Bears are large turboprop aircraft. Anyway, apparently they were in international airspace, which to be fair is no ones business but their own as long as they display no hostile intent.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Deleted, don't need moron replies.
edit on 9-8-2014 by metodex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I really don't see how this is an issue. The U.S. violates airspace of other nations on a regular basis. Not only do we violate it, we expect no retaliation when we are caught. Goes back to that old saying 'treat others how you'd like to be treated.'

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join