It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Behind: LGBT Homeless Youth Struggle to Survive on the Streets

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

Not taking sides here, but replied just to point out that sodomy has nothing to do with rape.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Actually, one only has to read some of the opinions expressed in this thread to realize that being homeless and queer is a lot worse than just being homeless.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677

Not taking sides here, but replied just to point out that sodomy has nothing to do with rape.

Sodomy has everything to do with rape & nothing to do with homosexuality or anal sex. It does not, can not mean gay... the crime of Sodom was not being gay... they were violent rapists.

The bible never links the story of Sodom with homosexuality. To use the Sodom story as evidence that the Bible condemns homosexuality is totally inaccurate. It is an anachronism, projecting later Church interpretation onto the biblical text, which is essentially about hospitality….”

“Even if the story were about lust, it is about rape, not homosexuality. The Sodomites were not “gay”. They were rapists. This is why Lot could offer his daughters in replacement, why the Judges version of the tale actually has a female substitute, and why those few Biblical references to Sodom as being sexually-related speak in general terms rather than specific ones.”

As Jay Michaelson, currently as PhD student in Jewish thought at Hebrew University points out, “The Bible condemns many things in the story of Sodom (lack of hospitality, humiliation of fellow human beings, brutality and violence toward others, pride, decadence, serious breech of human ethical obligations), but homosexuality is not one of them.”

Indeed, as Michaelson explains, the story of Sodom is in a biblical section where hospitality and ethics are central themes – Abraham welcoming three strangers to his tent; Abraham and king Abimelech. “Reading the story of Sodom as being about homosexuality is like reading the story of an axe-murderer and saying it’s about an axe,” concludes Michaelson.

Sodomy- A biblical Word Study that Might Surprise You

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Sorry, but when it comes to the definition of words, I will stick with Merriam-Webster. That way we are all talking the same language. When people use sodomy and they mean it by the dictionary definition, you are being disingenuous by using your own particular definition. Particularly if you employ the Bible, which was interpreted from other languages... and poorly in some cases.

sod·omy noun \ˈsä-də-mē\
: anal sex with someone

Full Definition of SODOMY

: anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal
— sod·om·it·ic or sod·om·it·i·cal adjective
See sodomy defined for English-language learners »
Origin of SODOMY

Middle English, from Anglo-French sodomie, from Late Latin Sodoma Sodom; from the homosexual proclivities of the men of the city in Genesis 19:1–11
First Known Use: 13th century
sod·omy noun \ˈsäd-ə-mē\ (Medical Dictionary)
plural sod·om·ies
Medical Definition of SODOMY

: anal or oral copulation with a member of the same or opposite sex; also : copulation with an animal
—sod·om·it·ic or sod·om·it·i·cal adjective
sodomy noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Noncoital carnal copulation. Sodomy is a crime in some jurisdictions. Some sodomy laws, particularly in Middle Eastern countries and those jurisdictions observing Shari'ah law, provide penalties as severe as life imprisonment for homosexual intercourse, even if the relations are between legally consenting adults. Other sodomy laws proscribe a variety of other forms of sexual contact and apply even to married couples. No such regulations are found in the law codes of Denmark, France, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, or Switzerland, among other countries.The Wolfenden committee in Britain and the American Law Institute recommended abolition of criminal penalties for sodomy, except in cases involving violence, children, or public solicitation. This position was adopted in England in 1967 and has been adopted in many U.S. states as well.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Sorry, but when it comes to the definition of words, I will stick with Merriam-Webster. That way we are all talking the same language. When people use sodomy and they mean it by the dictionary definition, you are being disingenuous by using your own particular definition. Particularly if you employ the Bible, which was interpreted from other languages... and poorly in some cases.

sod·omy noun \ˈsä-də-mē\
: anal sex with someone

Full Definition of SODOMY

— sod·om·it·ic or sod·om·it·i·cal adjective
See sodomy defined for English-language learners »
Origin of SODOMY

Middle English, from Anglo-French sodomie, from Late Latin Sodoma Sodom; from the homosexual proclivities of the men of the city in Genesis 19:1–11
First Known Use: 13th century
sod·omy noun \ˈsäd-ə-mē\ (Medical Dictionary)
plural sod·om·ies
Medical Definition of SODOMY

—sod·om·it·ic or sod·om·it·i·cal adjective
sodomy noun (Concise Encyclopedia)
Noncoital carnal copulation. Sodomy is a crime in some jurisdictions. Some sodomy laws, particularly in Middle Eastern countries and those jurisdictions observing Shari'ah law, provide penalties as severe as life imprisonment for homosexual intercourse, even if the relations are between legally consenting adults. Other sodomy laws proscribe a variety of other forms of sexual contact and apply even to married couples. No such regulations are found in the law codes of Denmark, France, Italy, Sweden, The Netherlands, or Switzerland, among other countries.The Wolfenden committee in Britain and the American Law Institute recommended abolition of criminal penalties for sodomy, except in cases involving violence, children, or public solicitation. This position was adopted in England in 1967 and has been adopted in many U.S. states as well.

You can stick with Merriam but I'm going to stick with what the word meant, & is supposed to mean, before it got twisted to fit an agenda. Question: How does a man rape another man? Anal sex. That is how sodomy went from meaning rape to anal & how it got associated with homosexuals (cause anal is one of the ways for homosexuals to have sex, especially if it is two guys)

Merriam should include the original meaning for sodomy & I find it interesting that it doesn't

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

stick with what you want, and others will stick with what they want, your book is also not the only book that gives accounts of Sodom.

So you are now claiming Divine right to the definition of Sodomy based on the bible, yet seem to have forgotten half of your book, like this:
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them."

I digress, back to the OP, now do you have sympathy for these homeless individuals that should be put to death according to the jewish, Christians, and Islamic teachings, or are you just looking for an argument on the definition of "Sodomite"?

I for one have no sympathy for these sodomites, as I said they need to fight their demons, repent, and ask GOD for help, only then would I have sympathy for them

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Funny that you mention agenda and yet refuse to use the commonly accepted and modern definition of the word. What does gay mean to you then?

You state the "original" definition for sodomy, and yet you are relying on an interpretation of the original text which may, or may not be accurate.

One of the 10 commandments is "thou shall not kill" and yet when you go back to the original version it is actually "thou shall not murder". Rather significant difference between kill and murder.

Not to mention that when one uses "their own interpretation" of a word that does not match the commonly accepted definition then communication becomes damaged. Perhaps I should make my own dictionary and change the meanings of all the words.... wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Frankly espresso moon boy one french gastronomic victim missile optimism.

edit on 12-8-2014 by bbracken677 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Funny that you mention agenda and yet refuse to use the commonly accepted and modern definition of the word. What does gay mean to you then?

You state the "original" definition for sodomy, and yet you are relying on an interpretation of the original text which may, or may not be accurate.

One of the 10 commandments is "thou shall not kill" and yet when you go back to the original version it is actually "thou shall not murder". Rather significant difference between kill and murder.

Not to mention that when one uses "their own interpretation" of a word that does not match the commonly accepted definition then communication becomes damaged. Perhaps I should make my own dictionary and change the meanings of all the words.... wouldn't that be a hoot!!

Frankly espresso moon boy one french gastronomic victim missile optimism.

I've been thinking about how I wanted to respond. I thought of many different ways but decided it's best not to really respond at all.

I will also go by the true definition of Sodomy (rape) & will always correct people on it's true definition. I don't have to stand by and let a word continue to be defined incorrectly. People stand up for what they believe in all the time, why should I be any different? Just because some dictionary that decided to allow for Twerking to be in there but not the proper definition of Sodomy, doesn't mean that the sodomy didn't originally mean rape.

You stick with your twisted, corrupted definition & I'll stick with the true, original definition.

((That is all I will say in response back. I will not respond further in this thread))

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join