It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Left Behind: LGBT Homeless Youth Struggle to Survive on the Streets

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:36 AM
link   
yep, why is the focus on their sexuality, why should we care more about homeless homo's than homeless straight people, I myself have no real sympathy for homo's, but that really is beside the point here, the focus of this thread just seems to be to get sympathy for homo's rather than sympathy for homeless people.

Just another not so subtle low attempt at pushing the gay agenda

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Dont ALL homeless youths struggle on the streets? Not sure what sexuality has to do with homlessness.

I cant believe you are proposing shelters just for LGBT. That awful. Why do they get preferential treatment????? WHo will pay for them, the tax payers that will not be able to use them If they needed to, or just LGBT taxpayers?

If a straight person needed shelter, would they be turned away?

Being homeless is awful who ever you are. We need to protect them all regardless of their sexuality.

Equality means equality.

edit on 9-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien

originally posted by: knoledgeispower

originally posted by: BornAgainAlien
Gzjee, I knew it wasn`t as good as over here (Netherlands), but those numbers are really shocking.

I can only hope a lot more Americans grow a heart in these matters quickly, this is really sad.

We have shows over here so teens have the courage to come out, never seen parents turn their backs on them (and they check up later with them, so it`s not only in front of the camera at first). Maybe it happens every now and then, but not much.

Personally I can`t think of why you would do such a thing...

...only reason I can come up with is Christianity doesn`t play a huge role over here anymore.

I think it isn't just about Christianity, my Dad is a Catholic & my Mom is a Christian. Neither of them have a problem with me being bisexual, my Mom even told me she knew I was gay since I was a young child. I think it's more about ignorance about LGBTQ+ & feeling like other people will think less of you if you have a LGBTQ+ child. "Let's not hang out with Mr & Mrs Smith because their son Bobby is gay. They obviously are terrible parents" & god knows what other terrible things people think.

Yeah, but that`s actual a typical thing you see way more with Christians over here (we still have them here, just in small numbers), not all of them are so, but a reasonable part of them are.

It is not Christianity, may be some uninformed people who think they have Christian values.

Christianity teaches us to tolerate everyone. We all do good and bad therefore we must never judge others.

So no, Christianity is not the issue here. Thats just an excuse.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: pennydrops

So what if Satan was to announce himself in human form, does Christianity tell followers to tolerate him also?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
The real tragedy is that in the 21st century theres people with no homes .. yet governments spend countless trillions on mass murder for profit around the world ..

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: knoledgeispower

You are correct for some people thats true. Based on my experiences I think a lot of young homeless are just lazy. I see them everyday standing on street corners holding signs. We offer them work and lunch they turn it down "um i got something i got to do today but can you spare a dollar or two for a bus ticket?, oh can I bum a smoke?" If they worked with us for 5 days they'd have enough money to get an apartment right next to the full time job they where just offered.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: mwood
I could care less if they are homosexual.

They are no worse off than every other homeless person out there.

Why even single them out in a story? Unless we are going to break down the homeless in categories. Black, White, Asian, homo, straight, latino and so on.

They do that though. Everyone is kept track of in categories for statistics & other studies like sociological studies.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: karmicecstasy
All I am going to say on this is. Any parent should be ashamed of themselves for abandoning a child for being gay or bisexual or transgendered. Unless that child stabbed or shot you or murders little old ladies for fun. You should never abandon your child. So I agree there.

i am pro gay rights. Who you want to sleep with and be in love with does not bother me in the slightest. But what does being LGBT have to do with being homeless. It sucks being homeless for anyone. There are homeless shelters out there. They let LGBT people in. They don't screen for that. The OP says there should be additional housing for LGBT homeless. There should be more programs and temporary housing to help all homeless get on their feet. Are you saying LGBT people can not live with straight people. That is setting yourself apart. And only makes the problem worse. IMHO.

I'm thinking about how some may not feel comfortable & feel like they might be beat for being LGBTQ+. Especially if they have already faced violence before. I know a lot of homeless people avoid shelters because they are afraid of violence.

It's like how there are shelters just for women and shelters just for guys.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Haxsaw
yep, why is the focus on their sexuality, why should we care more about homeless homo's than homeless straight people, I myself have no real sympathy for homo's, but that really is beside the point here, the focus of this thread just seems to be to get sympathy for homo's rather than sympathy for homeless people.

Just another not so subtle low attempt at pushing the gay agenda

What gay agenda do you think I'm pushing? All I'm doing is raising awareness about issues LGBTQ+ face. Maybe if there was equality & more acceptance, there wouldn't be so many kids getting abandoned by their families for being LGBTQ+

Right I forgot, we're trying to take over the world & talking about LGBTQ+ related topics will turn more heterosexual LGBTQ+ *roll eyes* /end sarcasm.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops
Dont ALL homeless youths struggle on the streets? Not sure what sexuality has to do with homlessness.

I cant believe you are proposing shelters just for LGBT. That awful. Why do they get preferential treatment????? WHo will pay for them, the tax payers that will not be able to use them If they needed to, or just LGBT taxpayers?

If a straight person needed shelter, would they be turned away?

Being homeless is awful who ever you are. We need to protect them all regardless of their sexuality.

Equality means equality.

It's like how there are shelters just for women and shelters just for guys. It's to help avoid violence & make the homeless people feel more safe.

Some LGBTQ+ may not feel comfortable & feel like they might be beat for being LGBTQ+. Especially if they have already faced violence before. I know a lot of homeless people avoid shelters because they are afraid of violence.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I haven't read this thread beyond the title, but I would to make your way to Oregon. We are a sanctuary state and, where I live, city.

The thing that completely blew me away when I moved to the Eugene/ Springfield are was the sheer magnitude of the homeless teens and tweens in our area. I have lived all up and down the east cost/midwest and NEVER seen what I have experienced here.

We took in teens within the first month of living here. Kids get kicked out by addict parents all the time around here. Its sad. Met some good kids who were not involved in the drug scene. Also met some that were completely homeless with their families whose circumstances brought them here. Not bad people, but bad luck. Being in a sanctuary city that caters to the down and out of ALL backrounds...opened my eyes to alot...... both good and bad. Of every single place I have lived, I would say to anyone as your OP describes, come here, you would find help and hope.

I lived most of my life on the east coast and I consider it a genuine cesspool compared to the west coast. [with the exception of Cali. its, its own world that people from OR and WA can't stand.]

Make your way to OR or WA.....less hateful and expensive.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
The real tragedy is that in the 21st century theres people with no homes .. yet governments spend countless trillions on mass murder for profit around the world ..

Add to that there are millions of empty homes, families having been evicted by the banks, that are just sitting there falling into disrepair. I saw a million dollar home in California that is now a bobcat den.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth

You are correct for some people thats true. Based on my experiences I think a lot of young homeless are just lazy. I see them everyday standing on street corners holding signs. We offer them work and lunch they turn it down "um i got something i got to do today but can you spare a dollar or two for a bus ticket?, oh can I bum a smoke?" If they worked with us for 5 days they'd have enough money to get an apartment right next to the full time job they where just offered.

Those people are probably in it for the drugs & partying, not actually wanting a better life.

Those who do want a better life, actively try to get a job or keep a job but it's hard to keep a job when you don't have a home. Not all of them have good clothing to wear, ability to wash their clothing/uniform & shower regularly.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: DarknStormy

The person in your source is 19 years old.. In my country that is an adult... Don't go blaming the parents, this person is old enough to fend for his/her self. No point moping around the streets and signing up for news reports, get a job, do what everyone else should be doing at that age.

Either you read the article & ignored the part that says "Reliable research in this area has been limited, but a survey of shelters nationwide from 2011 to 2012 found that up to 40 percent of homeless young adults were LGBT, according to the study conducted by three human rights groups. Overall, the National Alliance to End Homelessness roughly estimates that 550,000 people up to 24 years old are homeless over the course of a year." Or you didn't read the article.

It is not abnormal for a 19yr old to be living at home these days. Times are hard for both parents and young adults. I had to move back home twice after the age of 19 to help my Mom out because she was having financial problems. Some parents also allow their child to live at home while they are going to college.

In other cultures, it is also not abnormal for a 19yr old to be living at home.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   

the fact that you are concentrating more on the fact they are homo's rather than they are homeless shows your exact agenda.

Frankly, many people don't give a damn about homo's, that's the world we live in and I myself couldn't care less about them. If they are homo's then deal with your demons and stop sodomising people, or lie in the bed you made for yourself and stop whinging, if you're a homo then stop expecting the entire world to love you because you aren't going to win to many friends when more than half the world is religious and dead against sodomites

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Haxsaw

the fact that you are concentrating more on the fact they are homo's rather than they are homeless shows your exact agenda.

Frankly, many people don't give a damn about homo's, that's the world we live in and I myself couldn't care less about them. If they are homo's then deal with your demons and stop sodomising people, or lie in the bed you made for yourself and stop whinging, if you're a homo then stop expecting the entire world to love you because you aren't going to win to many friends when more than half the world is religious and dead against sodomites

Sorry but most LGBTQ+ don't commit rape so saying "more than half the world is religious & dead against sodomites" doesn't quite work there.

If they are homo's then deal with your demons and stop sodomising people
I'm not making anyone out to be a rapist so that saying again doesn't work here.

I'm concentrating on a minority group that faces violence on a daily bases. It is a KNOWN FACT that homeless people of all sexual orientations avoid shelters in order to avoid violence that happens at shelters. This is why there are shelters for just women & shelters for just men, as well as shelters for both sexes. It is to try & make the homeless feel more safe.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
a reply to: Metallicus

Sorry but to me there is 0 reason why you should disown your own child so yes I will judge those who do so.

Zero reason? So if my child were to become a raging drug addict, I should just continue to enable them in their habit by providing them with all the food, clothing and shelter they need while they burn themselves out with their drugs, not to mention potentially exposing myself to all the dangers of having a drug addict living in my home with me?

I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   

And I will say this, so long as my child lives at home with me, there are rules he will follow. If he wants to follow a certain lifestyle and it conflicts with the rules, whether his lifestyle be homo or hetero, then he better be out from under my roof. Just because he's technically an adult doesn't mean that he gets to dictate as if the roof were his, last I checked, the roof is still mine - my roof, my rules.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And I will say this, so long as my child lives at home with me, there are rules he will follow. If he wants to follow a certain lifestyle and it conflicts with the rules, whether his lifestyle be homo or hetero, then he better be out from under my roof. Just because he's technically an adult doesn't mean that he gets to dictate as if the roof were his, last I checked, the roof is still mine - my roof, my rules.

yep....just until he/she leaves home.
I dont care how good of a parent you are, it CAN happen. :[

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Some people are weak and others are strong that's basically the only excuse.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join