It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Editing tool lets you manipulate 3D objects in 2D photos *Video*

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
This is the coolest thing I have seen so far with real time picture editing. I cant describe the power of this software to render in real time the 2D object and make it 3D.

I know not everybody has the ability to watch videos on here but to fully appreciate the power of this technology you need to see it to believe it.

Creatively speaking this going to open up a field that has been restricted to animators and computer programmers. I have been waiting a very long time for technology to be able to do this. Imagination is going to be the next untapped currency of the future.

Cant wait.

LInk to wired article
edit on 8-8-2014 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow watched the video. I have to try this out. Any clue which company thought this one up?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: IBossJekler
Wow watched the video. I have to try this out. Any clue which company thought this one up?

Linked to article

www.wired.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TiM3LoRd

Basically you already have to have a 3D model of whatever object you want to "manipulate", or create it, then the software blends the 3D model (in 2D) against the original background. Not too awfully cutting-edge, but a good idea. I can see high-end shops using this for ad work.

There's a lot more that goes in to getting results than they show in this video - it's a a little misleading.

edit on 8-8-2014 by ScientiaFortisDefendit because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   
HOLY MACKERAL!

That is so cool... This is something that someone like my self in the UFOlogy field could only dream of.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:44 PM
link   
I'm wondering how adjusting the geometry and texture can tell a program that the photographed taxi cab has an exhaust system...

It really just seems like they did the presentation in an already 3D environment

I'd really like to see how this program actually performs.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: scojak

Cmon man seriously?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The conspiracy side of me though about how it will be even harder now to find out if something is true or not...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Hasn't the media used this to great extent for propaganda, for quite a long time? Now there's pretty much nothing you can take a face value
"Pics or it didn't happen" is pretty much dead, with this on the open market

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Looks like it only works under OS/X, shame ;-(

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 06:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: scojak
I'm wondering how adjusting the geometry and texture can tell a program that the photographed taxi cab has an exhaust system...

It really just seems like they did the presentation in an already 3D environment

I'd really like to see how this program actually performs.

The video says: you use stock 3-D models. The taxi cab is a 3-D model so all sides of it are known.

You couldn't use it to manipulate an actual object that you photographed. But you could take a photo of an empty street and add as many cabs as you like.

It's not revolutionary. It seems like the main selling point is matching the lighting to the source photo.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

That is really cool, but it can also be very dangerous if used for the wrong reasons, and we all know it will be. Just think about how much easier it will be for the propaganda machine to use this technology to manipulate the "news".

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

How in the hell can it reveal hidden parts (like the underside of the NYC taxi)???

How is that possible?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Don't people read threads anymore??
The software analyses the 2d image and then tries to match a 3d model to any objects it recognises.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Great, this will double my already sizable inbox of questions asking "is this UFO video real" LOL

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Oh man this will be great for us X rayers to use on pictures!! look out movie stars! your nudes are in the mail!

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnnyAnonymous
HOLY MACKERAL!

That is so cool... This is something that someone like my self in the UFOlogy field could only dream of.

Yeah...great...give the hoaxers even more powerful tools.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I think people claiming that this will help the mass media perpetrate more dis info need to remember we already have the ability to create life like cgi which mass media already has access to. This is nothing new to them. This is the equivalent of a room size computer now the size of a briefcase.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
a reply to: combatmaster

It explains it in the first paragraph of the article:

The secret to this is that the software uses publicly available 3D models of objects to inform the editing software how to complete the geometry and the parts of the object not on show.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Yeah as pointed out, it is a little limiting in that you need the initial model.

Maybe take a look at this! Photo manipulation that lets you actually pull and move objects using software. I'd go with this mob if I had to put money on it, but it's an exciting area for multimedia indeed.

new topics

top topics

join