It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK piracy police arrest man suspected of running proxy server

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

The Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit has arrested a 20-year-old man in Nottingham on suspicion of copyright infringement for running a proxy server providing access to other sites subject to legal blocking orders.

The man was questioned by police but has been released on bail. The arrest was made after police -- with the support of the Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) -- found evidence relating to the creation of a proxy server that provided access to 36 other websites that had been blocked for hosting illegal or infringing content.

This is a bit concerning, particularly as Immunicity doesn't host copyright-infringing content, it merely lets users route their traffic through the proxy network in the same way VPNs do.

UK piracy police arrest man suspected of running proxy server

The arrest is part of the police unit's clampdown on piracy websites, called Operation Creative. Wired.co.uk reported on another of the operation's measures last week, which sees the police replace advertising banners on websites that are found to be hosting copyright-infringing content.

"We will come down hard on people believed to be committing or deliberately facilitating such offences," said head of PIPCU, Andy Fyfe.

www.wired.co.uk...

The city of London police is not even our main police force in the UK its just responsible for a single square mile inside London with only 7000 residents. Many of us seasoned conspiracy theorists know the difference between London and "the city of London". How can they have this kind of jurisdiction?

The City of London Police is the territorial police force responsible for law enforcement within the City of London, including the Middle and Inner Temples. The force responsible for law enforcement within the remainder of Greater London, outside of the City, is the Metropolitan Police Service, a separate organisation. The City of London, which is now primarily a financial business district with a small resident population but a large commuting workforce, is the historic core of London, and has an administrative history distinct from that of the rest of the metropolis, of which its separate police force is one manifestation.

This has annoyed the hell out of me as i used immunicity so i could watch TV programs from other countries linked at sites like tubeplus.me. Now im going to have to find some sort of free VPN to do the job (any suggestions of free vpns that are good for video would be welcome).

I dont even see how they could shut immunicity down as it wasnt doing anything illegal. Will they try to shut VPN's down next? Its a slippery slope.

edit on 8-8-2014 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
If you want a connection....youll have to pay through the nose now....that's the agenda....Cut the people off from information that's not regulated by the beast

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixOD

Damn, I concur.

I've been running the Immunicity proxy config file for quite a while with good results. This does not make me a happy camper. Frigging fascists.

Maybe that's why I've seen more gateway error 500's lately.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Thats like arresting a bus driver because his passenger is carrying weed......it doesn't even make sense. I can't see how these charges will stick, seems more like intimidation to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Little bit of advice for the UK'ers.....Opera Browser, stick it in offroad mode (now called Opera turbo), instant unblocked sites all around...inc a certain bay of pirates I wont mention the name of.

Nice, quick, simple....no need for proxies (although I suppose in it's own right, it is a proxy)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

OMG that works!!

Cant thank you enough woogleuk , i owe you a drink mate.

new topics

top topics

join