It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you ID this insect? Thanks!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I found this weird insect on my window today.
Any help identifying the blighter would be appreciated,Photo below description.

Description:
It flies like a mosquito,and does the "floating back legs" thing when it lands on a surface,like the anopheles mosquito does.
Wingspan:approx 1cm+2mm.
Body length:approx 1cm.

Weird features: It has hairs/sensors on its legs,long ones.
It has a wing shield/carapace which looks like a really thin moth wing over the top of its actual see thorough mosquito like wings(only visible when it flies).
Has moth like markings/camo on the body.

Photo:

Rear of its body curls up,scorpion like.
Back two legs,float in the air.
Also has antennea which are not visible in the pic(they are folded back on its head).

Anyone know it?

edit on 8/8/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: img tag screw up fixed

edit on 8/8/2014 by Silcone Synapse because: extra info added

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I get those all the time where I live. I live in the Pacific North West US in a high desert region, if that helps. All I can tell you is that they behave like moths as far as being attracted to lights and televisions. They don't bite and they seem to get along with all the beetles and moths I normally see, hanging around the same crowded porch lights.

I don't know what they are called but, if you've never seen them before, maybe you are discovering a new trend in their migration.

Also, don't they look a lot like something from Pitch Black? I think if they were big, I wouldn't have such fond feelings towards them, heh heh.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
It's a drone, definitely a drone.

Yep, they had them in the US first.
edit on 8 8 2014 by Fr33domPoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Funny enough, I just did a google search for "moths that look like pitch black creatures" and I found it! It's called a "plume moth".

Apparently, I wasn't the only one who made that connection, hah!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Nice pic

It's a Plume Moth, very common and comes in various colors, my favorite is the White Plume Moth pictured below, i think the one you got is the Brown Plume Moth.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Morning-glory Plume Moth.
I see them every now and then in Ohio myself.
your bug

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Mianeye
Ahh, you beat me to it.
Beautiful pic.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
growing up in Belton, TX i used to see something similar all the time. They scared the living hell out of me because they looked like flying scorpions. Face it: flying scorpions is scarier than a sharknado, right?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Hey Cuervo,You nailed it Mano!
It has to be a Plume Moth-Fantastic news for the creature,as I have it in a glass jar.
It was going to its doom if it was some weird new mosquito which should not be here.

I am going to release it and send it out the window.

You saved this Moth Cuervo.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mianeye
Nice pic

It's a Plume Moth, very common and comes in various colors, my favorite is the White Plume Moth pictured below, i think the one you got is the Brown Plume Moth.

Wow,thats a beautiful variation of the same critter!
Maybe where Faerie mythology got some ideas?

Many thanks all,I didn't have the time to research this critter myself.
ATS will find answers I thought,and you did.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

1000% Agreed.

They are a bit creepy looking, aren't they

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Well, solved that one pretty quick.
Here's a wiki link.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-8-2014 by skunkape23 because: correction

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
thats an ugly little bug!!

Looks like a tiny hand glider, with the exception of the tiny little "legs"?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
A plume moth. Not sure I've seen one.
I'm getting loads of new species around my home. I think it's the hotter summers.
I have green crickets jumping around. Last night one tried to hop into a pot of frozen peas I was making for dinner. I could have eaten it! They're all over my house, hopping around. Same colour as peas and they appear to like hiding in green to camouflage . I also have grasshoppers. I just hate these green gnats or crickets. They can jump quite high. Then drop onto me.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

You should send that pic in to the website www.whatsthatbug.com

They're very good and usually pretty quick with responses, and they'll tell you about the insect as well.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   
We get those here once in a while. The curled scorpion like tail does look dangerous. I never looked close at the ones here until about a week ago, they look like a big mosquito but are not at all like them when you get a good look at them.

The ones we have here are like the OP's picture. I don't know what they are, but I know they are not the moth in the other picture. I looked at one pretty well on our patio door.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan
growing up in Belton, TX i used to see something similar all the time. They scared the living hell out of me because they looked like flying scorpions. Face it: flying scorpions is scarier than a sharknado, right?

Pretty sure you can sell that idea to the SciFi channel. They would have two movies out in three months.

top topics

join