It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In a post SHTF Scenario would people bring back muskets?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I remember seeing somewhere in that in the show Revolution (I haven't seen it yet) after a SHTF scenario people went back to using muskets. Many of the automatic weapons and other modern weapons were saved for last resort due to less resources for making the bullets and spare parts.

The question is would people really bring back muskets? I mean not everyone know how to make muskets (save for those who loves collecting and using such items)

I mean with fall of industrial civilization automatic weapons and other modern firearms and their bullets will be less plentiful and people would have to resort to using primitive weapons like melee weapons, bows and arrows and even primitive firearms.
edit on 8-8-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
Mankind im afraid will carry on finding the most efficient way to kill each other. Muskets are a 1 shot deal with 45-60 seconds to reload if you know what your doing..if your in trouble thats not likley fast enough. If a better weapon is available then it will have the edge and will be used.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Musket's need powder and bullets too.You could use nails or broken glass also,but the powder will be the main issue.Even an old bolt action deer rifle can break,as can a musket,so parts will always be an issue.Finding good brass will be the major problem.Primers,dies,a source of lead...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Go back to? Some of us still use them.

I have two, and the tools necessary to make everything I need to fire them.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I've thought about this but unless you know how to make your own blackpowder, it will be easier to find loaded ammunition than blackpowder and muzzleloading supplies simply due to the current availability and how long it would last.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'd imagine going back to bows and arrow would be easier. Arrows are reusable, and anything metal can be converted into an arrowhead.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Montana

Do you know any others that uses them too? I can imagine you gathering up to form your own nation in a post shtf scenario since you know how to make them.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I have a multipump airgun. Thousands of pellets.

No powder needed, great for small game.

Not needed for protection as the mindset here is community driven, not like the US. We will stick together here. Plenty of shotguns in the community but will be usless before long anyway.

If the NWO come to take us away, well....no gun will protect us from that. We will go ino the woods and sit it out till the time comes to take back our land.

edit on 8-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

This has been discussed already (jokingly) at the local community meetings...lol.
edit on 8-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
People will go back to what ever works. I don't know anything about muskets and won't pretend to, but if it's a simple system to learn and people can find parts needed easily, then why not? I would.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I think I would prefer a potato gun and a machete.
As long as I plant potatoes I'll never run out of ammo!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: Montana

Do you know any others that uses them too? I can imagine you gathering up to form your own nation in a post shtf scenario since you know how to make them.

There are many black powder enthusiast groups on the local, state, national and even international stages. While these skills are not exactly common, they aren't dead either. Many folks make a living (and a LIFE) from black powder sports. And I have to say, there is nothing as fun as touching off a flintlock and making a great big cloud of white smoke!!! Just make sure you have access to a shower at the end of the day.

The idea that mankind will be reduced to pre-industrial levels in a post-apocalyptic society would require a HUGE reduction in numbers. All the knowledge from the steam era is still out there, and requires no advanced technology to operate and manufacture. If there are enough people left to form a society, basic technology will survive.

I don't see why I would be interested in nation building after TEOTWAWKI, seems to me nations are the root cause of most of our troubles. A group of neighbors with the ability to protect each other and a connection to other groups of such people for trade purposes would be all I would be interested in. Unfortunately I am sure it wouldn't be long until nation building reared it's ugly head. Too many people are vested in the us against them fantasy.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Knives,Spears,Bows and arrows, even clubs, slings and rocks.....
After a bit of nation building then swords, and siege equipment....
read history and youll see the pattern....muskets will be later on....but the new species will develop their own unique to themselves....
edit on 8-8-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I can't see muskets making a huge comeback. Anyone using them would be wiped out by all the AR15/AK47 carrying survivalists and their 100,000 rounds of ammo, ghillie suits and body armor.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
When the Spanish fought the Aztecs it was the crossbow that carried the day.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
After a SHTF scenario, wouldn't there be a big die off? Isn't there currently more guns in the United States than people? Pressing your own ammo isn't hard... Just pick up your spent casings. I really don't see you having a problem finding a gun to fire. You'd probably have a harder time finding muskets than rifles, handguns, or shotguns.
edit on 8-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
There is an obscene amount of stockpiled ammo all over the world, I think it would take a long time to run out, especially if there is any massive die-off of the population. I'm still buying cans of ammo from the 50s that fire near as reliably as any new stuff.

Additionally I don't see the capacity to produce ammo being totally destroyed, the casings are reusable, bullets easy to manufacture, propellant possible for someone in the know, primers would be the more difficult part. There is just SO much machinery and SO much material laying all over the globe people are going to be producing ammo even if the world ends. Manufacturing isn't as hard as you think when it's done on a survival basis with no government regulations and rules you need to follow.

Look to third world nations to see how people can take a bunch of busted random machines and turn them into useful heavy machinery. Lathes, mills, etc. The cat is out of the bag, ammo production would be nearly impossible to stop.

Even if ammo did get very rare, I don't think muskets would be of much use. Muskets only overtook the bow because of volley fire, large numbers of soldiers firing their guns at once. On an individual bases a bow is of much more use than a musket, and I don't think there is going to be huge armies shooting it out napoleon style on the fields, that's really the only place the musket was useful.

If we ever devolved back to a tribal melee weapon situation, there would be so many things and so much new materials laying around that any melee weapon that became common probably wouldn't be a simple medieval weapon, it would be evolved from new knowledge, new materials, etc we'll never go back to the middle ages unless we are talking tens or hundreds of thousands of years and all traces of the modern world are gone.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

The steam age would be the most likely to make a return if somehow electrical energy could not be harnessed, of course it is a sci fi show and such a suppression field would also inhibit bio electric activity so would likely have adverse effect's on living organisms as well.

Modern gun's are the result of a long evolution to the modern metal or copper type ammunition casing's and many still use black powder but in a survival situation where the resources and ability's where limited it may be feasible that the use of the simplest form of sifted talc powder consistance black powder would be produced, not likely but certainly possible.

In such as situation hand to hand fighting and simpler projectile weapons may eventually make a comeback but then think on how many round's are sitting in ammo depositary's around the world.

Anyway the Sci Fi show style suppression field and even an EMP could not pass through a multi layer Faraday cage (I am sure they have a suitable work around in the show) so military installations so shielded would not be affected, if it was a field that somehow increased the entropy of electron flow it may inhibit DC circuit's but AC equipment other than needing to have it's fequency increased would remain uneffected, even the Mad Max scenario is unlikely, except in already lawless society's and culture's.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
i once saw a video of primitive villagers in Afghanistan making ak-47s with ancient hand tools. the cat is out of the bag and it cannot be put back in. firearms will always be with us. no computer controlled or electrically powered machinery needed.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

I do not think it will be muskets. Those are slow loading and have tons of problems. We know now much better ways to create weapons even guns at home in your garage with household materials. We will build guns if needed and they will work better than muskets.

You should do a web search find sites tha teach homemade weapon making.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Mankind im afraid will carry on finding the most efficient way to kill each other. Muskets are a 1 shot deal with 45-60 seconds to reload if you know what your doing..if your in trouble thats not likley fast enough. If a better weapon is available then it will have the edge and will be used.

Pfft no wonder you guys lost the war of 1812 the british could reload in 20 secounds!

I can do it in 30!

<<   2 >>

join