It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hamas May Accept Statehood in West Bank

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
In what would appear to be a fantastic reversal of their stated position, Hamas has announced that it may be willing to accept a truce with Israel, and accept a deal that would create a Palestinian state within the 1967 borders. A spokesman for the group has also stated that it could accept a long-term truce.

www.guardian.co.uk
RAMALLAH, West Bank (AP) - The militant group Hamas will accept a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip and a long-term truce with Israel, a leader said Friday, apparently softening Hamas' hardline stance and boosting hopes for renewed peace efforts after Yasser Arafat's death.

Sheik Hassan Yousef, a senior Hamas official in the West Bank, told The Associated Press he sees a truce in which Israel and a Palestinian state ``live side-by-side in peace and security for a certain period.''

Yousef's statements signal an apparent reversal of policy for Hamas, which has long sought to destroy Israel and replace it with an Islamic Palestinian state. The group has killed hundreds of Israelis in attacks during the past four years.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The part of this statement that get's me is the very specific terming of a "long term truce". Later in this article, the Hamas spokesman, Sheik Hassan Yousef, states "For us a truce means that two warring parties live side-by-side in peace and security for a certain period and this period is eligible for renewal.'' Yousef did not spell out the conditions for the renewable cease-fire nor did he say how long it would last.

This leaves me wondering, does Hamas truly want to live in peace with Israel, or are they simply looking to gain a foothold on eventually over running Israel and claiming all of the land for a Palestinian state.

I can envisage a scenario where Hamas becomes dormant for a period, and a Palestinian state is created. During this time Hamas could be restructuring themselves, re-arming themselves, and preparing for the final battle to completely eradicate Israel.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Good article Phreak. The only historical parrallel I can find to a group like Hamas getting its own state may that of Sparta, but its a loos assosiation at best. They as a group have no interest in peace with isreal much like the extremist right wingers in Isreal have either

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I don't understand why we constantly doupt this offer of truce..It would have taken alot of deliberation befor they would publicly say this ..So why not give them the benefit of the doupt..I mean it's like you say in the U.S."A man is innocent until prooven guilty" now this may not be a proper rapresentation of what Hammas is....But what has been the reaction from the Isrelies to this offer of truce???..
Let's face it someone has to take the first step..or this thing will surely never be solved,and the whole middle east crisis is relatedto this matter..

I think we should give them a chance,and as for the prolongation of the ciese fire..well I understand that they also have to see some concessions being made on the other side...no???

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I agree that Israel must make concessions as well. In fact, Israel has already Vowed Peace Unless Provoked.

I would love to believe that we are now on the rosy cusp of World Peace. Isn't that what every contestent in the Ms. Universe pagent wants for Christmas?

Unfourtunately, I am a pessimist, and I have a tendence to see alterior motives where none may exist. Like I wrote, I can see a scenario where Hamas lays low for a while. Recruits, re-arms, builds a lot more Qassam rockets, and then just launchs an all out assault on Israel when they are lulled into believing that everything is right with the world.

posted on Dec, 5 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I can't see Israel being "lulled into believing that everything is right with the world." If this actually happens Mossad will be all over the new Palestinian states especially with them being in their own backyard.

That said, I think this is a step in the right direction.

-raven

new topics

top topics

join