It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine Prepares To Impose Russian Gas Transit Ban, Commit Economic Suicide

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

Russia cut of their gas because they were into them for Billions and couldn't pay .I

The problem is they were working on a deal that could be handled and Russia declined, so now Russia is asking the higher end of prices for the gas...which is really a strong arm tactic to get higher prices because Ukraine will need it.

Ukraine was ready to accept the EU proposal of a price range between $300 and $385 per 1,000 cubic meters, still above the $286.5 that the country paid in the first quarter, NAK Naftogaz Ukrainy, the state gas company, said today. Gazprom’s final offer was $385, Miller said today.

www.bloomberg.com...

And when they join the EU they will be able to get financial help from it's members. Also Ukraine looks at it this way, cut the gas and we make it hard for you to deliver your gas through our country.

They are actually standing up to the Russian bully for once.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Ukraine was ready to accept the EU proposal of a price range between $300 and $385 per 1,000 cubic meters, still above the $286.5 that the country paid in the first quarter

See i have a problem with that. Regardless of it's perceived importance the EU simply does not get to suggest prices of commodities to countries outside the EU. At least not to countries they can't dominate.

Ukraine was receiving Russian gas at heavily subsidized rates. When they decided to try and join up with the EU and probably NATO it's is no surprise to me Russia would begin to play hardball. They are within their rights to do so. Look what happens to countries that the US has issue with and what happens to them.

Not saying this is necessarily right but it's pretty hypocritical for the west to point fingers at Russia for doing the same things they do. Ultimately this whole thing reeks of EU interference and IMF greed.. IMO.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Under the EU’s last plan, Ukraine would pay its debt in installments, with $1 billion paid immediately and the rest by the year-end, according to Oettinger.

Ukraine must pay $1.95 billion to partially settle its debt by the deadline, Gazprom said yesterday. The company previously extended the payment deadline for Ukraine after receiving $786 million for supplies delivered in February and March.

Ukraine refused to pay the rest of its debt demanding market-based prices, which it says would be lower than Gazprom proposed.

In April, after Ukraine’s Kremlin-backed President Viktor Yanukovych was ousted in street protests, Gazprom rescinded a gas discount it had previously granted Ukraine. Russian President Vladimir Putin also stripped the Ukraine of a 2010 export-duty reduction that it exchanged for a lease on its Black Sea fleet’s port in Crimea, which Russia annexed in March.
Now I would have though that if the EU was going to pay the bill and then rebill the Ukraine then things could have happened . See Russia would be selling the gas to the EU directly and the EU would bill the Ukraine .Russia would have got the debt collected and continued pumping gas but the Ukraine wanted the sweet deal they had under the previous Govt that was going to stay out of the EU . I think it really had more to do with Ukraine becoming a member of NATO and that Russia would not allow that red line to be crossed .

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
It doesn`t matter how we see it, this is what matters :

This Is How Putin's Advisor Sees The Ukraine Crisis Playing Out

www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Yeah, read that earlier and I believe he's correct on the damages coming to the EU. The last part of the article also indicates Russia's (and probably most BRIC's countries and allies) plans to make the US back off.

To further insulate its economy, Russia should abandon the use of the U.S. dollar as a reserve currency, according to Glazyev. Russia, which international reserves are the world’s fifth-biggest, needs to diversify its holdings to include China’s yuan, India’s rupee and Brazil’s real.

“If a country aspires to reserve status for its currency, it should behave properly, and that isn’t the case today,” Glazyev said.

I have to agree with that last sentence.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bassago
a reply to: BornAgainAlien

Yeah, read that earlier and I believe he's correct on the damages coming to the EU. The last part of the article also indicates Russia's (and probably most BRIC's countries and allies) plans to make the US back off.

To further insulate its economy, Russia should abandon the use of the U.S. dollar as a reserve currency, according to Glazyev. Russia, which international reserves are the world’s fifth-biggest, needs to diversify its holdings to include China’s yuan, India’s rupee and Brazil’s real.

“If a country aspires to reserve status for its currency, it should behave properly, and that isn’t the case today,” Glazyev said.

I have to agree with that last sentence.

Me too with that sentence...

...and Glazyev (the one who advises Putin) clearly sees US following The Grand Chessboard :

“The point of a series of regional wars organized by the Americans, especially today’s catastrophe in Ukraine, centers on the U.S. securing control over all of north Eurasia” to bolster “its position against China,” Glazyev said. “That’s how the U.S. military and oligarchs are trying to maintain leadership in the global competition with China.”

www.wanttoknow.info...
edit on 8-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-8-2014 by BornAgainAlien because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

See i have a problem with that. Regardless of it's perceived importance the EU simply does not get to suggest prices of commodities to countries outside the EU. At least not to countries they can't dominate.

They suggested that because it is the middle ground between what Russia wants and what they charged Ukraine before this conflict started. The EU is trying to make it a good deal all the way around to where no one loses, also know it was also a deal to get Russia the money they are owed.

Ukraine was receiving Russian gas at heavily subsidized rates. When they decided to try and join up with the EU and probably NATO it's is no surprise to me Russia would begin to play hardball.

But that was the way Russia kept Ukraine from joining the EU. Yanukovich had to make a decision on whether he wanted to join the EU and risk ties with Russia, or turn away from the EU and get a cheap price for gas and other certain guarantees, and we see which way he went.

Russia was told that with Ukraine joining the EU it would not effect anything between them and Ukraine.

On December 16 in Brussels, EU foreign ministers reassured Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that closer EU-Ukraine ties posed no threat to Russia.

www.rferl.org...

And yet Putin still thinks everyone is out to harm Russia, which is a strange mindset he has.

Ultimately this whole thing reeks of EU interference and IMF greed.. IMO.

And it doesn't smell of alot of Russian interference by using an ultimatum that wasn't necessary?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The EU is trying to make it a good deal all the way around to where no one loses, also know it was also a deal to get Russia the money they are owed.

Sorry pal, in this middle ground deal Russia loses alot. When not a common union partner then pay the full price.

There is no point haggling on this anymore.

The real point is Ukrainians want to join the EU to go west and work, otherwise no Maidan would have happened.

Ukranians do not want to join NATO but there are strong suspicions that EU might strong arm them later on and that is what Russians are worried about. Past demeanor is a good indicator of future actions.

Russia WILL NOT bother any CIS nation if it stays neutral and does not join the NATO.

Russia has very justified reasons to feel bothered by NATO nations on its borders all around.

Kremlin knows who is behind all this NATO expansion mania. Right now it is trying to find a way to decently undo the 'manic obsessions'. However, if pushed any further, thing might go into a mode that people all over the world would regret.

US/NATO are feeling very confident almost arrogant on their military power. This arrogance needs to be brought down to sensible levels for the good of the world.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

I get that the EU was trying to assist with the gas negotiations even if only to not be in the situation they are now. Bottom line is it isn't their gas so they have little final say in what Russia decides to charge.

But that was the way Russia kept Ukraine from joining the EU.

Yes which was internal issues between Ukraine and Russia, at least until the country was destabilized and a more pro EU figurehead put be put in place.

On December 16 in Brussels, EU foreign ministers reassured Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov that closer EU-Ukraine ties posed no threat to Russia.

Yeah well I wouldn't really trust Brussels much either in this case.Nothing they do has any guarantee it will be in Russia's best interest. Especially in light of the pro-Russian democratically elected president getting driven out.

And yet Putin still thinks everyone is out to harm Russia, which is a strange mindset he has.

Putin's mindset appears to have been publicized quite clearly today by one of his advisers, Sergei Glazyev.

The point of a series of regional wars organized by the Americans, especially today’s catastrophe in Ukraine, centers on the U.S. securing control over all of north Eurasia” to bolster “its position against China,” Glazyev said. “That’s how the U.S. military and oligarchs are trying to maintain leadership in the global competition with China.”

Can't say that I disagree with his assessment.

And it doesn't smell of alot of Russian interference by using an ultimatum that wasn't necessary?

I guess this question boils down to whether it's within Russia's rights to make the ultimatum in the first place. Since it's their gas I'd suggest that it is. Not saying I agree with it and it's certainly helped push this mess along to it's current point.

Maybe Russia should just cut off the gas completely and sell it to China, India and other less bothersome nations. Then we can all move on. Probably going to happen anyway if this keeps escalating.

edit on 076pm4040pm72014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Well that didn't take long, there's been an update to the story. Looks like the EU has realized that Kiev's sanction plan is not a very good idea and put their foot down.

The EU would oppose such a step by the Ukrainian government, which is drawing up legislation to allow sanctions against Russia because of its encroachment in eastern Ukraine, the EU official tells reporters in Brussels on the condition of anonymity

"The secure supply of energy through Ukraine must be maintained,’’ the official says.

To be sure, Ukraine quickly got the message, and as Energy Minister Yuri Prodan told Bloomberg, the Ukraine sanctions will target Russian companies, not specific resources, with the list of companies to be approved by National Security & Defense Council, Prodan says, declining to name any entities. Gazprom will not be on said list.
Ukraine Quickly Backs Off Threat Of Halting Russian Gas Transit

No, Gazprom will not. Maybe Kiev should check with Angela Merkel before making any further "big" decisions.

edit on 618am4848am82014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
XE is blackwater. They just changed names as they expanded in size. Those were mercs in Ukraine sniping people. I thought that was proven long ago.
You cannotbe trusted as a source if you think something as weak as denying blackwater exists due to a name change. Kinda like saying there is no way Ukraine is involved in this because it is now called New Khazariaa reply to: tsurfer2000h

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ukraine first round of voting (Thursday second and final third vote) :

Ukrainian Parliament votes for gas stop Russia.

Russia threatens with counter measures.

www.telegraaf.nl...

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Update, looks like Ukraine has passed the sanctions.

The Ukrainian parliament approved a law on Thursday to impose sanctions on Russian companies and individuals "for financing terrorism." As Reuters reports, Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk told parliament that "by approving the law on sanctions, we showed that the country is able to protect itself.

Ukraine Passes Russian Sanctions Law: Gas Transit Halt Seems Imminent

Well good luck with that Ukraine. You won't have to worry about Russia any more as the EU will probably invade you first.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bassago

Aye, this is bad, again oddly timing with the convoy etc. Timing is key.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
EU is now seriously risking to remain out of gas. Flow of gas through Ukraine will cease on Jan. 1st 2019. A failure in the construction of Nord Stream II, or failure in Nord Stream 2 agreement automatically means gas starvation for the EU beginning in 2019 winter time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join