It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Traumatized by Christian Dogma & The Evangelical "Good News Club"

page: 11
<< 8  9  10   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Wow, what a great thread. I have always, always said that religion is far too complicated and confusing for children, and they should be kept apart from most of it except maybe the "Jesus loves me", aspect.

It is traumatizing. Take it from me. I lived it too. Nightmares for years and years. Couldn't relax at night due to fear of "sudden destruction" coming upon me, "like a thief in the night". Heard trumpets blowing. Was terrified of God.

My mother took me out of that church after the nightmares started, at about eight years old. But the damage was done.

I hope people who read this thread will talk with their kids about how church is really effecting them.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
You do know that hell and its description you are relating to pretty much comes from Dante's inferno. And as horrible as the description is it is only meant to convey what a horrible existance it is to choose to seperate from Him for eternity.
I do not believe there is a physical example that could relate properly what that means in an eternal perspective.
The place was only meant for those angels that rebeled and transgressed with humans. I hate to think it has been broadened to include us as well. I guess everyone would rather believe we could be uncreated vs. That fate. But there is described of a place where the fallen ones will spend eternity after the Judgement. That place is special where nothing of the Father, nothing good exists, since all good comes from him.

I see where something like that could be horrible beyond description. And what could be more just for those that deny in Him?
I really have a hard time with buzzys threads after seeing them all the same.
Bashing God with strawmen and red herrings all so she can be the heroin, saving people from morals and patriarchy. It gets stars and flags though.

a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: manna2

I know that hell isn't listed in the bible. I posted as much on like the first page of this topic. But that doesn't prevent Christians from talking about it and coming up with all this criteria for getting into it. Not to mention the description of "eternal hellfire." I'm not the one who repeats it. I'm not Catholic anymore. I'm agnostic and I've already said that if I were to be religious, I'd be Buddhist.

(post by Cruithneach removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: alphaTango

I'd submit that most current religious traditions are "off" in some way. It's just because human beings are flawed, and we make flawed stuff.

But I think if you read the Bible, and seek after God, you may find the answers you couldn't find in church. That's the great thing about Christianity–it's a relationship with God; it's not about the church.

I totally get the concerns about Christianity just being one big game of "telephone," but I think if you look at the world around you, it bears out a lot of Christian truth. You mentioned beauty: that's one way God speaks to man. Like my signature says...disbelief is an accident. And I don't think you and I believe, or want to believe, because we're afraid of death. It's because there is a God-shaped void in our heart. And that beauty you see is speaking to it.

As regards raising children, it is something I haven't done. But I can testify that growing more mature alongside one's parents is a good thing; my parents and I learned so much about the world together. So I think that admitting you might not know something and then sitting down to discover the answer WITH your child is probably a good thing. I do agree with the other posters on this thread about being firm with children, (I'm grateful to my parents for not "sparing the rod") but I don't think scaring them half to death with threats of hellfire is the way to go either!

I'll stop while I'm on topic. Feel free to PM me, though.

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
ATTENTION!

Stick to the topic. Refrain from comments about fellow members.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777

originally posted by: calstorm
a reply to: Nochzwei

I was. My nightmares as a child were full of Satan fear of him and him tempting me to sin and of demons and hell. Also of a man being beaten and nailed to a cross. I would wake up so scared i couldn't even scream although I wanted to. I would then lie in my bed and shake and cry. I was probably six or seven. I was terrified of Satan whispering thoughts into my mind to cause me to sin because I was told that is what he did if you didn't pray enough for gods protection but I was never sure how much was enough and since i would get in trouble, it was clear i didn't pray hard enough.

So yeah, I was in mortal fear of hell.

Would sob uncontrollably over the crucifixion of Christ.

Never had nightmares, but to this day I begin to cry in church, i feel a deep connection to the divine, and the human condition, and I do believe the correct understanding of the gospel of Christ will make you more empathetic.
More often than not, you get emotional in Church only if you are truly Born Again. Praise Jesus

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Yea sure Krazy, hell isn't in the bible. And yea I have read your comments and others like them. How about being bound or outer darkness? Lake of fire prepared for the devil and his angels? sarc

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock

Yea sure Krazy, hell isn't in the bible. And yea I have read your comments and others like them. How about being bound or outer darkness? Lake of fire prepared for the devil and his angels? sarc

But that post wasn't directed at you...

Though I'm unfamiliar with this being bound or outer darkness thing. Please enlighten me. I'm only intimately familiar with what Catholic dogma teaches.

Also the lake of fire isn't hell. It's just a lake of fire for Satan and his cohorts come Revelation time. Though since you brought it up. What exactly IS a lake of fire? Fire is just the byproduct of two elements fusing together rather energetically. It certainly isn't a liquid, so how can you get a lake of it? What's its fuel source? If you think about it, the term "lake of fire" is a stupid concept.
edit on 12-8-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BuzzyWigs

Me too, that is why I cannot bring myself to be a member of any church. I emphasize the personal relationship with Jesus, not through an organized institution and believe all paid ministry is evil. I still fellowship with other Christians as isolating oneself leads to following your own selfish desires sooner or later. I suppose my education is in the hands of God. Hope you can find healing (remembering without the pain) soon.

top topics

<< 8  9  10   >>

join