It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS shells Kurdish capital Erbil, US responds with airstikes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
The situation on the ground in Iraq is picking up fast. The Peshmerga have retreated into the Kurdish heartland, where they plan to defend the Kurdistan region from any ISIS advancement. Thus far, ISIS sits approximately 30 - 50 kilometres away from the Kurdish capital, and have been using artillery against the Kurds.

The USA carried out airstrikes against the artillery positions, as a result of the attacks against Kurdish forces.

U.S. military aircraft carried out airstrikes on Islamist militants besieging Kurdish forces in northern Iraq, the Pentagon announced Friday.

The airstrikes targeted artillery being used by militants of the Islamic State extremist group against Kurdish forces defending Irbil, the Kurdish regional capital, the Pentagon said. It said the artillery was used “near U.S. personnel.”

The U.S. action came after President Obama authorized airstrikes against Sunni Muslim extremists who punctured Kurdish defenses in a powerful offensive in northern Iraq on Thursday. Obama also sent U.S. military aircraft to drop food and water to besieged Iraqi civilians in the region.

goo.gl...

The situation in Iraq is growing increasingly dire, and i feel more needs to be done in order to support the allied groups in the country.

As for the Kurds...Godspeed to them...they need all the support they can get.
edit on 8-8-2014 by daaskapital because: link

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Obama Announces Airstrike on ISIS in Iraq
(AP) President Barack Obama says he has authorized the U.S. military to launch targeted airstrikes if Islamic militants advance toward American personnel in northern Iraq. He also has announced that the military carried out airdrops of humanitarian aid Thursday to Iraqi religious minorities threatened by the extremists.

"Today America is coming to help," he said in a late night statement from the White House.

"Comming to help" ... ohh crap

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
The way I understand it, Isis thugs are beheading Christians. Wonder if some would care more if they were beheading folks in gaza?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
If that is true and they know it then Obama is a real no good rat. This should mean the US should go in with ALL FORCE and I mean BOOTS ON THE GROUND!

The conspiracy theorist believes that ISIS is a part of a geopolitical plot by the CIA and NATO.

landdestroyer.blogspot.com...

I could believe that. But of course if that’s true it will be hard to prove.

But if Obama abandons these people who are being genocided he should be impeached and maybe indicted. But that won’t happen

When and if this happened (god forbid) then Obama will just apologize like Bill Clinton did over Rwanda.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Late yesterday the Obama administration authorized military strikes to prevent “a potential act of genocide” of religious minorities and to protect U.S. interests in the region. “To stop the advance on Erbil, I’ve directed our military to take targeted strikes against Isis [IS] terrorist convoys should they move toward the city,” Obama said in a speech at the White House. The Islamic State, formerly ISIS, captured a number of cities in northern Iraq on Thursday and was poised to take Erbil, the capitol and largest city in the Kurdistan region of Iraq. Erbil is home to the Consulate General of the United States. Rudaw, a Kurdish news agency, reported that hundreds of IS terrorists were killed in the Pentagon

The leading news source on Kurds and Kurdish affairs, in English.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Obama is a loser! He's nothing but a puppet! It's no secret Turkey, Qatar, Saudia Arabia are funding and arming ISIS! I agree America should go full force and destroy these IS pigs!!! Strike fear in them! Instead America shows its cowardice! If we don't fully and overwhelmingly support the Kurds we will regret it x1000!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: daaskapital

Heard it tonight from a GF - a potential 1yr deployment of her significant other.

Not on MSM ... but Aussies are being readied for some more puppet propping ...

"The violin can not be played tunefully ; with too many hands!"

( Timely 2014 )

edit on 8-8-2014 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
The way I understand it, Isis thugs are beheading Christians. Wonder if some would care more if they were beheading folks in gaza?

Terrible analogy.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: smithjustinb

care to elaborate?

Everyone is calling the events in gaza genocide. Isis is slaughtering people because they are Christian's.
That is a true definition of genocide. To me that is a perfect analogy.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Entirely agreed. Good analogy!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: daaskapital

Heard it tonight from a GF - a potential 1yr deployment of her significant other.

Not on MSM ... but Aussies are being readied for some more puppet propping ...

"The violin can not be played tunefully ; with too many hands!"

( Timely 2014 )

Argh, that sucks.

Thanks for the information!!!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

care to elaborate?

No. I don't want to derail this thread.

But you should know, any group, such as ISIL, who, explicitly, in their founding doctrines, vows to destroy another group of people simply because they do not share the same religion or have the same ideology, is the REAL perpetrator of genocide. If that is their mission, they are the TRUE criminals and the TRUE enemies of humanity. And, we should eliminate them all as quickly as possible, by any means necessary.

I hope these air strikes are as effective against ISIL as the destruction of similar groups have been.
edit on 8-8-2014 by smithjustinb because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

That was exactly my point. They are guilty of genocide, Israel is not.

My question was pointing out that who is doing the killing must matter to some people.
edit on 8-8-2014 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: added content

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

That was exactly my point. They are guilty of genocide, Israel is not.

Sorry. I misunderstood.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

No problem.
sometimes it's hard to express yourself with only a few words.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Everyone is calling the events in gaza genocide. Isis is slaughtering people because they are Christian's.
That is a true definition of genocide. To me that is a perfect analogy.

Oh so you admit Israel are commiting Genocide?

That was exactly my point. They are guilty of genocide, Israel is not. My question was pointing out that who is doing the killing must matter to some people.

You never said that though did you?
You said EVERYONE is calling the "events" in Gaza genocide, assuming you mean Israel
committing war crimes en masse.

Then you go on to say Israel are not. hmm.

Either it's the same (like your analogy originally meant)
Or it's completely different and your analogy fails.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Oh hum...

The whole world is losing its mind over the events in gaza. Many call it genocide. You decide. I say not.

Isis slaughters children just for being Christians. To me thats genocide. Barely a blip is being said about it.

Why is that?

The analogy means Jews and Muslims are being judged differently for what many (not me) call the same crime.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

This really tells that you are most likely extremist, just like all of those, Hamas, Israeli forces or ISIS. I know, this probably creates different feeling for you, and you can't quite understand that some people could care about all people, regardless of religion, color of skin or political views.

I am sure that earth cries when folks like you walk on it...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Asking people to be judged equally for their actions is extremist? Thats a new concept.

The only thing that loving thy neighbor is going to get you is a knife in the back. Thats is unfortunately human nature. If you believe that makes me a hater so be it. I'm sure neither of us will lose any sleep tonight.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

a reply to: SuperFrog

Asking people to be judged equally for their actions is extremist? Thats a new concept.

The only thing that loving thy neighbor is going to get you is a knife in the back. Thats is unfortunately human nature. If you believe that makes me a hater so be it. I'm sure neither of us will lose any sleep tonight.

No, your comment wasn't at all about asking people to be judged equally.

But at least, after what, 13 years of wars and killings in Iraq, you appear to be concerned about innocent people. Great job!

Religions are really polluting human's mind... I hope one day we will outgrow this immaturity...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join