It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHO declares Ebola epidemic an international health emergency

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
could explode globally, or disappear. could be too late. hope not.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wanderer777
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

Well we were briefed about all of Africa size, countries, and languages before we were deployed here. Trust me I know all about weaponized bioweapons. It seems great in theory but much harder to do in practice, especially with a virus spread prominently through bodily fluids. Bioweapons are impossible to control. No one would use anything that travels through bodily fluids because it takes too much time, but those diseases are not to be underestimated in their danger and their infectivity.

You don't need to see it, but I'm also not trying to say it's the end of the world. I'm saying this could be disastrous because it takes 2-21 days for symptoms to show. I deal with dozens of people each day now imagine after 21 days. The doctors working on this do not have the resources or man power to stop this virus. All it takes is 1 person. Now let's look at AIDS. That's transferred with bodily fluids as well and look how much it's spread. AIDS came from Africa which is where the Ebola is. Granted it was 35-40 years ago (forgive my math here).

So lack of resources and manpower means that these doctors and other workers are working harder and sleeping less. That equals to more mistakes which makes it easier to spread. Just saying it could spread much easier than people think.

Have a blessed day! Much Love!

You cant really compare it to AIDS/HIV though because a person can spread it for years without knowing. That is a big sifderence compared to a week and a half (the most common amount of time of incubation) to three weeks.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Hey Vic…

…because it only spreads through bodily fluid and direct contact with infected bodily fluid.

Maybe you didn't know that is contradicted by the CDC:

…including body substances, contaminated medical supplies and equipment, contaminated environmental surfaces…

CDC, transmission of Ebola

I dont see a contradiction there? The contaminated tools and surfaces are contaminated by bodily fluids. Whats the contradiction? It can also briefly be in water droplets in the air but that doesnt actually make it airborne.

No contradiction it is only spread via bodily fluids. The ways to contact that fluid vary and can be novel, but if you are infected you came in contact with the bodily fluid of an infected person.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Look here at the chart listed on the wiki pages for the basic reproduction number.. Ebola has one of the lower r nought numbers because it only spreads through bodily fluid and direct contact with infected bodily fluid. One person is expected to infect maybe 1 - 4 people

That same Wiki page notes that the basic reproduction number of Ebola is in about the same range as the strain of Spanish flu that caused the 1918 flu pandemic.

And the Journal of General Virology, was quoted by jadedANDcynical in another thread as saying:

Epidemiological modelling based on the data from previous EBOV outbreaks has produced a basic reproduction number (R0) of 2.7 with a 95% confidence range of 1.9 to 4.1 (Legrand et al., 2007). This R0 is comparable to influenza (Mills et al., 2004) and would seem to be comfortably within the range required to generate an EVD pandemic.

The 2014 Ebola virus disease outbreak in west Africa

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

I dont see a contradiction there? The contaminated tools and surfaces are contaminated by bodily fluids. Whats the contradiction?

Okay, sorry if thats what you meant. My bad…

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: subtopia
A few things to consider:

Here in Australia we are going through one of the worst FLU seasons for some time, Many people, myself included, who rarely get sick are coming down with secondary bacterial pneumonia from this newly created strain.

What will Winter in the Us and Europe be like if for some strange occurrence the Ebola Virus just happens to get in bed with a strain of Influenza A,B or C.

It's not about fear mongering it's about considering what humans are capable of...

Thats a very good point! Personally i got a flu about 6 weeks ago and i got a chest infection afterwards which anti biotics didnt kill and im still suffering with it after another course of anti biotics on top of the initial dose, nearly everyone i know has gotten this bad flu and it even sparked a massive athsma flare up in my daughter she hadn't had any athsma issues before plus a chest infection for her aswell she ended up on steroids which cleared it up but it is lethal imagine if they mixed, i know the chances are low but that would be a world wide disaster for sure.

This is all getting very scary now with how rapidly this is spreading and the incubation period the virus has. Its a very big threat to Earths population i just really hope they can do their bedt to contain it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join