It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Gun Children's Book Explodes In Popularity After Media Ridicule

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I am pro gun, pro open carry, pro CCW, and an overall pro second amendment kind of gal. But I am not quite sure how I feel about this...

My Parents Open Carry is a children's book written by Brian Jeffs and Nathan Nephew in 2011. They say the book is great for children 12 and up, but some as young as 5 have enjoyed it.

Their site suggests why you might want to buy this book -

If you open carry and have a difficult time explaining why to your family and friends, or if you want to learn about the open carry of a handgun, or if you've wondered if open carry is right for you, then this book is what you need.

I'm not sure that enough folks are having a huge issue with this, but hey... Maybe they have? Who knows?

Talk about irony -

My Parents Open Carry exploded this week after being ridiculed by comedians Bill Maher and Stephen Colbert.

“What a beautiful bedtime story,” Colbert said sarcastically of the book. “The world is full of maniacs who want to hurt you and the police can’t help. Goodnight, honey!”

The co-authors appeared on The Glenn Beck Program Thursday to discuss the craze, saying that since Maher and Colbert discussed the book, they’ve gotten interview requests from around the world.

“Germany, Australia, China ran a story on it,” Jeffs remarked, adding that they’ve soared up the Amazon bestseller list, as well.

The two said the book is best for ages 12 and up, though they’ve gotten positive feedback from parents reading it to their five-year-old children.

“Nobody’s too young to learn about the Second Amendment and rights and self-defense,” Jeffs remarked.

Here's a short youtube video on the book itself -

Why am I not sure about this when I am pro gun, open carry, etc.? Because I can see where folks can use this as something negative against the 2nd amendment crowd. It kind of makes us and the movement look a little crazy. I have a 16 year old daughter and she does know all about gun safety and how to shoot as well. I think that anyone who has a gun/s and children in the same house... Should absolutely teach those children about guns and how to safely handle them when it's age appropriate. Before that time, they need to be in a gun safe with no access at all.

This kind of feels like ammunition (no pun intended) for those who call us all gun nuts. When I was growing up, it was normal to have guns in the house. It was normal to be taught how to use those guns while hunting or just going to the range. Nobody needed a bedtime story to explain it. It's just a wee it weird IMO.

Anyway, it seems like the rants that were used against this particular book actually helped sell more of it when (I assume) the attempt was to achieve the exact opposite.

How does this sit with you? Is this a good book for children in your opinion? Do you find it coming on a bit strong like I do or something completely different?

You can read more here:
www.theblaze.com...

And here:
www.myparentsopencarry.com...

edit on 8/8/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Id have gone with the title "everyone needs to shoot"

I do think while whatever it is, is legal, its worth always explaining probably. Guns might be cool in movies or at the range but they are deadly weapons, and not toys in anyway.

The more the young ones know the better in my book (also, no pun intended)

edit on b0101149 by Biigs because: stupid spelling mistakes corrected

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Ten bucks says sales are to anti gun 20 somethings that need a new ironic coffee table book after losing their copy of "Go The F**k To Sleep."
edit on 8-8-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
Id have gone with the title "everyone needs to shoot"

I dont think while whatever it is, is legal, its worth always explaining probably. Guns might be cool is movies or at the range but they are deadly weapons, and not toys in anyway.

The more the young ones know the better in my book (also, no pun intended)

I agree. I said as much above. I think if children are going to be in the same household as firearms, they certainly need to learn about them. I think the mystery people invoke by hiding them and never talking about them probably causes more accidental shootings than anything else.

I guess you have to hand it to the authors... Over the top or not, they tapped into a thriving, growing trend and will reap the rewards of it. There's no telling what they've made so far off of these.

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

after losing their copy of "Go The F**k To Sleep."

I think my parents had that book at one time.

It worked like a charm too. Well... Except for that time they traded it out for collector's edition of "My foot In Your Arse If I Have To Tell You Again".

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Absolutely.

If you were a welder, a tree surgeon or a blasting/demolition person and you had, welding equipment, chain saws and explosives kept at home - regardless of how safe they were locked away - would you not teach your kids WHY they are kept away and the dangers they possess?

I damned well would - no ifs, no buts no coconuts.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why.

I have a feeling someone will post something that I can expound on. I don't know what expound means. It sounded good though right?

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:50 AM
link   
OK I came up with one thing. If you're openly carrying a gun I would hope you would be able to explain why to your own child.

I made my parents cringe with the questions I asked, but they answered them honestly and I know I would have preferred that to being read a book, or just given one.

If you're going to carry openly, you should be mature enough to explain WHY to your own child. Parents don't need a book to explain why a seatbelt is important.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

Isnt it better to explain with a book they can read themselves, with a few pictures and stuff?

Kids love to read with their parents, if its important, would you not at least have the information available for them to do it themself?

Dont think theres anything wrong, or to get mad over with this.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 01:58 AM
link   
How is this book any different then "I have 2 mommies" or "Daddy is in jail" or "Everybody Poops!"?

A cheecky yet serious question.
edit on 8-8-2014 by Justaposter because: in in? I meant is in.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The book is 2 years old.

Msm has done a a great service though. Sales of the book are now through the roof.

Is it cheesy? Yea. Hell, what children's books aren't? Teaching children about how to view and respect firearms is of upmost importance IMHO. If they aren't taught about the true nature of firearms, their purpose and their dangers, who must we rely on to do that? The media...

Do we really want their personal fears, fueled by ignorance to rule our child's perception of anything?

I sure as hell don't. Nah...my son will learn from me...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
Rubs me the wrong way. Not sure why.

I have a feeling someone will post something that I can expound on. I don't know what expound means. It sounded good though right?

Yep... That's what I said in my OP. I think I get a bit uncomfortable because certain people will see this and use it against those of us who are pro gun. I see indoctrination thrown into the mix by those who already think anyone who owns guns is a nutter. I'm all for educating your child on proper safety and use, but I also think that hands on teaching would probably do better than a book.

I don't know either. In my OP I said it was a bit weird (IMO). Even after looking it over a few more times... I still feel that way. It just doesn't sit well.

You've got to hand it to them for striking while the iron is hot though. I wonder if they'll make a sequel. Something like "My Parents Use Medicinal Marijuana".... lol

originally posted by: Justaposter
How is this book any different then "I have 2 mommies" or "Daddy is in jail" or "Everybody Poops!"?

It's not. The opposing sides to those ideals published in those books also use their existence to shout indoctrination to the rooftops, just like what will happen here. That was the point of the thread. It's not about whether you should teach your kids gun safety or not (which I am for 100% as stated in my OP) it's wondering if this will just give the opposite side (gun control) ammunition to use against us to make it appear that we are indeed... nuts.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Justaposter

Im surprised theres not more literature on home safty, like "dont drink the stuff under the kitchen sink" or "dont touch the pots and pans on the oven/stove".

Kids arnt interested in just a text book, you have to make it a little fun with nice pictures for them so they remember.

"everybody poops" is a great example, some things just arnt obvious to kids.

Do you want them to find out the hard, painful possibly deadly way - or sit them down and read a book with some pictures and set out in a way that you might not be able to say in the right way by yourself?

edit on b1212247 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   

For full disclosure i am not from the US and I am very anti gun, or at least anti hand gun.

That said if you are going to have guns around then it is surely best that kids are informed as possible about them.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

For full disclosure i am not from the US and I am very anti gun, or at least anti hand gun.

That said if you are going to have guns around then it is surely best that kids are informed as possible about them.

I can respect that and appreciate your opinion.
Though to clarify, the OP was not about whether to teach your children gun safety. I expressed my views on that several times already. The question was... Can the opposing side use this and claim that gun owners are indoctrinating their children thereby causing more people to view all gun owners as psychotic nut cases??

I see this being used to further the anti gun agenda because now we are targeting children.

I hope that makes sense. It's late here and I feel like cats are sleeping in my eyeballs lol.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Some people will claim anything as indoctrination so probably yes. Is it indoctrination? Couldn't really say without reading the book. Find the idea that someone would want guns around children baffling but fully admit this probably a cultural difference.

Early here and not had enough coffee yet so feel your pain.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I have a 14 year old daughter and I just can't see buying this for her. I don't see anything wrong with it from what I've seen so far, but I wouldn't get it for the same reason that you and a few others have mentioned in that I would feel much better about my own explanation than relying on a book to do my job for me.

On the other hand, the kid couldn't get to sleep about a week ago and came wandering into the living room at around 1:30 in the morning complaining. I told her to get back in bed and try again. 20 minutes later she's back in the living room standing next to me by my computer and the first thing I did was go to youtube and pull up the Samuel L. Jackson narrated version of "Go the F*** to Sleep" and play it for her. She was, very literally, howling with laughter. Upon the end of the bedtime story, she curled up on the couch and promptly fell asleep. Apparently Samuel L. Jackson is more convincing than I am. Whatever works, I guess.

Take care,
Cindi

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

Good point Biigs, but, it can open a whole new can or worms..Like... Do we really need "don't drink the stuff under the kitchen sink" or "dont touch the pots and pans on the oven/stove" books? If so, how come some parents can easily teach their kiddos, while some most def need these types of books?

This thread is so going to get off track.. perhaps i'm just nudging the door open a bit.

For the record, I was able to teach my kids not to drink the stuff under the sink, and hey, touch once, ouch, touch twice, still ouch and no touching the third time! And all 3 of my kids did become potty trained
And thankfully we never had a need for the new book 'why is daddy in prison'

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Justaposter

Its as much a reminder for the parents to actually teach these things as much as teaching the kids in a way for them to remeber.

Sadly some parents, especially ones with a large young flock, can leave these sorts of things out.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
The people that are against guns seem to forget that knives, ropes, curtain cords, rock pools and stones can be just as dangerous and kill people.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Oh my goodness. Where to begin. . . .

Should we mock progressive ideologies with some (possible) book titles?

"What's a Two Parent Family?"
"Your Entitlements And You."
"Whining Works!"
"When Johnny Didn't Get a Trophy."
"Happy Abortion Day!"

On a more serious note, it's sad when the Constitution and Bill of Rights is considered a tool of a political ideology when in all actuality, it belongs to all Americans, regardless of political affiliation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join