It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Supermoon' and Perseid meteor shower will light up sky Sunday night

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Just a reminder of the annual meteor shower coming up the first part of next week. I love a good meteor shower, but I usually miss them to due to the weather. Hopefully the skies will be clear for me this time...

The annual meteor shower, Perseid, will light up the night sky with as many as 100 shooting stars an hour. The prolific Perseid will be joined by a "super moon," which occurs when the Earth is at its closest distance to the moon.

The meteor shower will peak between Aug. 10 and Aug. 13, and is expected to last for a week after its peak.

“The best time to see the showers will be at around 2 a.m. in the morning,” Tony Berendsen, an outreach astronomer and founder of Tahoe Star Tours told ABC News Thursday.

Channnel 7 News

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Look forward to this! Hoping for clear skies.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

I'm in the uk, could somebody tell me when the best time/day to see this would be?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ok, the best time to watch will be when the full moon sets.

But skywatchers beware: You will be facing a major obstacle in your attempt to observe this year's Perseid meteor shower, namely, the moon. As luck would have it, this year will see the moon turn full on Aug. 10.
The bright moon will seriously hamper — if not prevent — observation of the Perseids' peak, which is predicted to occur overnight on Aug. 12-13. Moonlight will flood the sky all through most of that night and will certainly play havoc with any serious attempts to observe these meteors.

Yahoo

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

I'm in the uk, could somebody tell me when the best time/day to see this would be?

Not sure where in the uk you are, but this should give you an idea.

I'd say your best time would be the couple days leading up to the height of the meteor shower because of your moon rise/set time.

Probably the 8th and 9th from about 3 to 5 am, based on the full moon set, and where you are located.

BUT, I no astronomer

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Between the full moon and the tail end of Hurricane Bertha arriving at the weekend, I doubt if we'll have much luck in the UK!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Thanks for that

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rob48

Between the full moon and the tail end of Hurricane Bertha arriving at the weekend, I doubt if we'll have much luck in the UK!

Typical british weather then

I remember many years ago when I was a teenager my friend and I sat in our local church yard for most of the night watching an amazing display in the sky, barely a minute went by without a something happening. Never seen anything like it since. That would have been about early to mid 70's.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Just bumping for exposure.

August 12–13 is the peak.

Perseids vs. Moonlight: Which Will Prevail?

The radiant of the Perseid Meteor Shower is high in the sky by 11 p.m. for observers at mid-northern latitudes.

Moonlight will hide faint Perseid meteors, but a nice bright one might show through every few minutes late in the night.

-clear skies

top topics

join