It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan Homeowner Who Shot Unarmed Teen Girl Found Guilty Of 2nd Degree Murder

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Raw Story - Michigan man who fatally shot unarmed black teen ‘out of fear’ found guilty of murder

DETROIT (Reuters) – A white suburban Detroit homeowner was found guilty on Thursday of second-degree murder in the shooting of an unarmed black teen on his porch.

A Detroit jury delivered its verdict against Theodore Wafer, 55, in the racially charged case on the second day of deliberations. Wafer fired a shotgun through his screen door, killing Renisha McBride, 19, after she knocked on his door seeking help after a car accident last November.

Wafer also was found guilty of manslaughter and firearms charges and faces up to life in prison.

Wafer had said the shooting was an accident and that he had been alarmed by violent knocking on his front and side doors, which led him to fear a break-in. He said he “shot in fear” through the screen door but was not aiming at anything

I didn't follow the trial but I read quite a bit about the incident in the weeks following the shooting. Based on what I've read, I believe this is a reasonable verdict given the lack of premeditation. It's really a shame that we live in a society where people have such media-induced fear of their neighbors that this man blasted an unarmed teenage girl with a shotgun, through his screen door, after she pounded on his door seeking help.

edit on 2014-8-7 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Shoot first, ask questions later...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Pound like an animal, get shot in the face. Seems reasonable to me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted

So a person rattled by an accident, that is looking for help, is a valid target?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

I'm assuming (hoping) this is sarcasm?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

It's what Biden said to do.

And no, it's not okay to do that. As a "gun nut", I'm glad he was convicted. You cannot just blast people through the door. Even if shotgun Joe says so.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

given the circumstances surrounding the incident, it would seem a righteous verdict/sentence.

he was never in a 'fear for your life' situation, but, instead out of his own self-perceived 'fear' he simply pointed the shotgun at the screen door and blasted away.... killing the young lady merely seeking assistance for a traffic accident.

nothing threatening other than his own mind.

't least he'll have the next several years to further contemplate his actions that fateful night.

as for the above quoted comment..

'seems reasonable' .... no better than the 'animal' [per your own words] that was killed that night inadvertently.

hope you don't ever have to sell girl scout cookies with your daughter.

simply... Wow

?????

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I shudder at the implications of a "not guilty" verdict in this case.

Any lawyer worth their salt will site all the presidents they can find to support their client's case.
Imagine if a cop knocked on a door and got shot in the process. There would be a very good case getting a shooter off by citing this case and claiming fear as a reason.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: teamcommander

I shudder at the implications of a "not guilty" verdict in this case.

Open season on anyone on your property. Whether they are committing a crime or not. On the upside, JW's and Mormans might slow down.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I am very happy that the man got a guilty sentence, after reading all the information on the case, he didn't have to take the life of another person.

He had the choice to call the police and no to open the door.

He is guilty.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I feel so sorry for this poor girl's parent's, seeking help only to be shot probably because of her skin colour, I will bet she was a boody good kid too.
Sorry I do not feel sorry for this guy at all and think that manslaughter is too leniant, he should have been found guilty of second degree murder and I do see a possible racial motive, if this had been a white kid maybe he would not have shot, screen's are transparrent are they not.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Have you ever been to Detroit? You might reconsider that verdict if you had.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Have you ever been to Detroit? You might reconsider that verdict if you had.

Actually I have. That excuses an innocent life being snuffed?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Well.. we can't really say since we weren't there, but a doctor claimed she pounded the door, walls, and windows so hard she had bruising and abrasions on her hands and she was drunk (which is why she wrecked). I wonder why she sought help in such a dramatic manner if she was okay enough to pound on windows and wasn't seriously hurt?

I mean, I was in a pretty bad wreck by myself but luckily wasn't badly hurt and no one was with me. I can't imagine why you would be hysterical unless you or someone else was badly injured. Am I missing something?

I think they guy is guilty of something, negligent manslaughter, and maybe even murder 2, and he should've stayed in with the gun and waited rather than go out and put himself in the situation to shoot, but I think he was freaked out and wasn't looking to kill. I don't think he would be a repeat offender and shouldn't have the book thrown at him.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Funny enough, even the pounding on the door has no relevance in real life. We have various callers daily, and all of them have different techniques, one is like a mouse, the other takes the door off and another doesn't know when to stop knocking...the postman opens the door and puts the post on the hall table!

The point is, someone knocking at the door in any which way isn't trying to get in at that point, even if it is the intention.
BTW, isn't it just as well in some ways it wasn't the police knocking, or at the wrong house and knocking?
edit on 7-8-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

Well.. we can't really say since we weren't there, but a doctor claimed she pounded the door, walls, and windows so hard she had bruising and abrasions on her hands and she was drunk (which is why she wrecked). I wonder why she sought help in such a dramatic manner if she was okay enough to pound on windows and wasn't seriously hurt?

I mean, I was in a pretty bad wreck by myself but luckily wasn't badly hurt and no one was with me. I can't imagine why you would be hysterical unless you or someone else was badly injured. Am I missing something?

I think they guy is guilty of something, negligent manslaughter, and maybe even murder 2, and he should've stayed in with the gun and waited rather than go out and put himself in the situation to shoot, but I think he was freaked out and wasn't looking to kill. I don't think he would be a repeat offender and shouldn't have the book thrown at him.

Yes, you're missing the entire scenario.
read the OP again

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Don't freak out, but I also agree with the verdict.

His life was not in danger. Even if it were thugs bent on robbing him, he should have waited until they were inside.

Would I have done the same thing? I'd like to think not, but given the circumstances and location, I might have. But that does not justify it. Even if it were me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

So a person rattled by an accident, that is looking for help, is a valid target?

I think there is much more to the story. The doctor said she was pounding so hard she had bruises and abbraisions. How long did he let the pounding go on for?

Did the pounding stop and then he went out to check?

Imagine someone is beating your house so hard you the walls are shaking then it stops, you are armed because you were afraid people were coming in, you step outside to make sure they are gone after it's stopped and someone pops up and scares you. It doesn't justify the shooting entirely, but it shouldn't be considered murder.

This was a drunk girl that crashed her car and then inexplicably went tearing through the neighborhood beating on a house enough to terrify a dude in it. As I said in another post I have been in a wreck before by myself and it was bad (i just wasn't injured), car hit a cement culvert and flipped on it's side in a ditch, and I didn't freak out. I wiped blood off, searched my car til i found my phone, walked down the road until i found service, got one call off before my phone died.

There was no hysteria. Why would she be so crazy if someones life wasn't in danger?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

What if the pounding stopped and he stepped out to see if they were gone and someone popped up on him and he reacted?

I think I would probably go with some sort of manslaughter charge. He should've waited, but I could see myself doing the same (as far as going outside, i don't think i'd be quick to the trigger, but i live in the country). Pounding stops, step outside to make sure they are gone, someone jumps up and scares you and you react.

I agree he should've stayed inside, but I have to wonder how long the pounding went on and if he went outside after it stopped thinking it was safe.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut

originally posted by: GogoVicMorrow

Yes, you're missing the entire scenario.
read the OP again

I read it again.. what am I missing? I actually think the OP is missing part of the scenario. It acts like she knocked and he opened the door with a blast. He claimed she went around pounding on the walls, windows, and doors (which is likely if you are trying to wake someone up and it's night time) and the doctor in the trial said she had bruises and abrasions on her hands - so she was pounding pretty hard.

What do you think I am missing?

All I am saying is the guy shouldn't go to jail for life for a freak incident. The odds of him hurting someone else in his lifetime is pretty slim.
edit on 7-8-2014 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join