It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Accusations of Anti-Semitism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Hello all,

I wanted to write this thread to ask about the current trend of people on the forum accusing members of anti-Semitism when they criticize Israel. The volume of the accusations seem to have increased within the last week or two. There is plenty of people appalled by the current situation happening in Gaza at the moment and there is a lot of threads regarding the subject within most of those threads you have at least one member that says thing along the lines of "there is a lot of Jew bashing going on here" or "there you go posting your anti-Jew views again", why is this behavior allowed? If someone was to actually post something anti-Semitic they would be 86ed out of here so fast they wouldn't be able to try it again but when someone tries to discredit another posters views by falsely accusing them of anti-Semitism it is left be. Speaking out against Israel is not anti-Semitic or Jew bashing. And before anyone says it, I have not had those posts directed at me, it is about other members here in general, just a trend I have been noticing.
edit on 7-8-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad
Hello all,

I wanted to write this thread to ask about the current trend of people on the forum accusing members of anti-Semitism when they criticize Israel. The volume of the accusations seem to have increased within the last week or two, there is plenty of people appalled by the current situation happening in Gaza at the moment and there is a lot of threads regarding the subject. Within most of those threads you have at least one member that says thing along the lines of "there is a lot of Jew bashing going on here" or "there you go posting your anti-Jew views again", why is this behavior allowed? If someone was to actually post something anti-Semitic they would be 86ed out of here so fast they wouldn't be able to try it again but when someone tries to discredit another posters views by falsely accusing them of anti-Semitism it is left be. Speaking out against Israel is not anti-Semitic or Jew bashing. And before anyone says it, I have not had those posts directed at me, it is about other members here in general, just a trend I have been noticing.

There has been much namecalling from both sides. Are you really that easily offended? It is an emotional topic and people do say things driven by that emotion. Its not good, I know. We are all guilty. But to state this is one sided is a bit unfair.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I authored a thread some time ago that tried to get people to realize that criticism of Israel is not a criticism of Jews. It's been a problem for some time now.

Unfortunately, most people are unable to separate the two or they are so pro-Israel that they pull out the Jew card when they can't refute specific points.

So I feel ya brother.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sosobad

I authored a thread about Zionism and anti-Zionism to try to clarify the terms people were using.

It also helped me in understanding what motivated people and their arguments.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: pennydrops

Yes, but we have been conditioned to favor one side over the other. For example: You can criticize Hamas and you will not have someone claim you hate Muslims. Criticize Israel and some people will claim antisemitism.

It's happening a bit too much lately.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

originally posted by: sosobad
Hello all,

I wanted to write this thread to ask about the current trend of people on the forum accusing members of anti-Semitism when they criticize Israel. The volume of the accusations seem to have increased within the last week or two, there is plenty of people appalled by the current situation happening in Gaza at the moment and there is a lot of threads regarding the subject. Within most of those threads you have at least one member that says thing along the lines of "there is a lot of Jew bashing going on here" or "there you go posting your anti-Jew views again", why is this behavior allowed? If someone was to actually post something anti-Semitic they would be 86ed out of here so fast they wouldn't be able to try it again but when someone tries to discredit another posters views by falsely accusing them of anti-Semitism it is left be. Speaking out against Israel is not anti-Semitic or Jew bashing. And before anyone says it, I have not had those posts directed at me, it is about other members here in general, just a trend I have been noticing.

There has been much namecalling from both sides. Are you really that easily offended? It is an emotional topic and people do say things driven by that emotion. Its not good, I know. We are all guilty. But to state this is one sided is a bit unfair.

The accusations of anti-Semitism hold more weight though, there is a stigmata associated with being anti-Semitic and it is indeed illegal in some countries. The accusations I see are aimed solely to discredit posters that speak out against Israel. As I said if someone posted anti-Semitic remarks they would be booted but falsely accusing someone of that offense is ok. Why is that?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Yes, but we have been conditioned to favor one side over the other. For example: You can criticize Hamas and you will not have someone claim you hate Muslims. Criticize Israel and some people will claim antisemitism.

It's happening a bit too much lately.

I can assure you it works the other way too. I support Israels right to exist. After expressing this view, almost EVERY time, people assume Im pro killing palestinians. I have been called a genocidal maniac. EVen though I despise what Israel is doing.

It works both ways..........always does.

People are people. An opinion doesn't just attract one type o9f person. We need to ignore the namecallers, not highlight them, this is what they want. They are pathetic whatever their views. Claiming its just the people with a particular view is not correct, its not how things work. We know that dont we?
edit on 7-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

To say 'the name you call me is worse than the name I call you' is........ well, a bit wrong.
edit on 7-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I think it is actually a positive thing ATS is letting them 'speak their minds'.
I've heard it so many times these last few days and whenever someone doesn't personally get involved, stating they are offended by my writings and so on.. and instead just repeats the words hamas and anti-semitic in their post i know what time it is.
A lot of people are on to them now (not just on this forum but online in general and real life as well) so it's easier if moderators just let it be.

Sometimes you don't have to do anything because obvious agenda is obvious

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Exitt
I think it is actually a positive thing ATS is letting them 'speak their minds'.
I've heard it so many times these last few days and whenever someone doesn't personally get involved, stating they are offended by my writings and so on.. and instead just repeats the words hamas and anti-semitic in their post i know what time it is.
A lot of people are on to them now (not just on this forum but online in general and real life as well) so it's easier if moderators just let it be.

Sometimes you don't have to do anything because obvious agenda is obvious

Take your tin foil hat off. Please!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

To say 'the name you call me is worse than the name I call you' is........ well, a bit wrong.

I agree. We should all stop the name calling......on both sides.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

So can we stop calling people Zionists?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: pennydrops

Take your tin foil hat off. Please!

i like my hat

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

How so? The actual deed is a bannable offense but to accuse someone of it is not, in essence the slander could be interpreted as falsely trying to get someone banned. If a man rapes a woman he is arrested, if he is falsely accused of it she gets arrested, weird analogy but easy way to compare. And before you make this thread into something it is not lets remember that this is "board business and questions". It is to asked towards staff.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If it's said in a derogatory manner, yes. But Zionism is a real movement and is still a relevant term. I have no problem with it being used to describe a person that believes in that particular movement, but it should not be thrown at people just because they are pro-Israel.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What about Jews who say bad things about Baptists or Catholics? What's that called? People can talk smack about any religion out there but you better be careful saying anything about Jews.

I don't understand the argument of this "anti-Semitism". I've even been called a racist for criticizing Israel. How can anyone be racist against a religion or a political cult?

Zionism is a real entity. I either refer to them as that or as Jewish supremacists. Same thing. Brother Nathaniel has some great vid's about it and he is Jewish. IMO, once a person starts name-calling you win the discussion. As soon as they write the word 'anti-semitic', I say: "you lose".

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

If it's said in a derogatory manner, yes. But Zionism is a real movement and is still a relevant term. I have no problem with it being used to describe a person that believes in that particular movement, but it should not be thrown at people just because they are pro-Israel.

But Zionism (as we've discussed) is the formation of the State of Israel.

If you are anti-Zionist, doesn't that make you someone who doesn't want Israel to be a nation state?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

By definition, that would be correct. Though, there are those that denounce some of the things Zionists have done to further their goal, but do not oppose Israel being a nation state.

As you know, it's a complex issue. But I think we can agree that we need to stop with the knee-jerk name calling on both sides.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

By definition, that would be correct. Though, there are those that denounce some of the things Zionists have done to further their goal, but do not oppose Israel being a nation state.

As you know, it's a complex issue. But I think we can agree that we need to stop with the knee-jerk name calling on both sides.

Both sides being the operative term.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
And? I don't believe Israel should be allowed to be a state. I think that place should be called something else and all the borders opened. It should be a place for all holy people or religious people since it is considered as ground zero for that. Why should only the Jews control it, build walls and keep everyone else out? The government of Israel is a key problem in all of this.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

But Zionism (as we've discussed) is the formation of the State of Israel.

Not to seem pedantic, but Zionism is the formation of a Jewish State of Israel...
So it's primarily for Jewish people!!!

It'd be hard for us to migrate there...
They could become citizens of our respective countries much easier!!!

I agree TSOI should exist... But it shouldn't be Jewish, it should be for all humans!!!

Peace Beezzer!!!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join