It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bush Mum on Pakistans Bin Laden Efforts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
President Bush met Saturday with Pakistani President, Pervez Musharraf. During the meeting they discussed Pakistan's efforts to hunt down Usama bin Laden. President Bush offered no criticism of Pakistan's activity. Pakistan recently removed large numbers of troops from South Waziristan, the area where bin Laden is thought to be hiding, and refocused their efforts in North Waziristan.

apnews.myway.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush offered no criticism Saturday of Pakistan's role in the still-unsuccessful hunt for al-Qaida leader Osama bin Laden, even though Pakistan's army is pulling out of one area where the terrorist mastermind has believed to hide.

After an Oval Office meeting with Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, Bush said, "His army has been incredibly active and very brave ... flushing out an enemy that had thought they had found safe haven."

Bush characterized Musharraf as "a determined leader to bring to justice not only people like Osama bin Laden, but to bring to justice those would inflict harm and pain on his own people. ... I am very pleased with his efforts."

Pakistan's army said last month it was withdrawing hundreds of troops from South Waziristan, a tense tribal region near Afghanistan. The decision to pull back came after several military operations in recent months.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

During the meeting Musharraf stressed his desire to see President Bush take a more active role in resolving the Palestinian - Israeli conflict. Musharraf stating that he believes resolving the conflict is central to the War on Terror.

After the meeting, Musharraf met with reporters and told them that he had been assured by President Bush that he would make this a priority of his administration. However another official from the Administration said that Bush did not go that far.

If President Bush does not realize that the Palestinian - Israeli conflict is a key issue to many Muslims around the world, and that his efforts to help resolve the conflict will go a long way to ending the War on Terror, I believe that we will only see an escalation in that war on both sides.

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.terroranalysis.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
An escalation of the war is exactly what Mr. Bush wants.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but I'm afraid you may be right. Seems to me that he is hell bent on spending his "politcal capital" to spread the War on Terror, not end it.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
You are both perfectly correct.

Bush is a warmonger, he has a certain agenda and plans to follow it through irrespective of the pain and death he causes.

The words 'Bush' and 'Peace' are mutually exclusive.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hum, I have never trusted the Pakistanis and I never will, US is bribing them with weapons and goods in history we know how bad these type of deals has come out for US.

I think Pakistan did what was told, to hunt for bin-laden in his boarders and for that they were "rewarded"

I also believe that the Pakistani government has not desire to find bin-ladden they never did and they never will.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I agree with Marg. I dont think Paistan, or at least the people doing the searching, really want to find OBL. And some how I kind of doubt they are going to.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Not even Bush supporters trust the Pakistani, this is a clear sign that the coalition lacks moral justification and looks more like the Stalin-Ribbentrop pact.

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
IMHO, Bush doesn�t want OBL captured, and is pleased with Pakistan for ending their search. This could be for several reasons:

1) The capture of OBL could jeopardize Bush�s whole rationale for conducting a �War on Terrorism�. With OBL behind bars, the nation might somehow feel less threatened about serious terrorist activity in the homeland. Also, the nation may expect the government to obtain vital info from OBL that would shed light on previous statements made by the administration regarding the extent of the threat, the number of active terrorists, their prime targets and goals, the location of training centers, the number of cells in America, etc., potentially raising questions about why we haven�t made more progress on the �War on Terrorism�. Or even worse, why we are fighting it at all, instead of simply capturing a few individuals, without whom the whole impetus of the movement may disipate. OBL, if captured, could become an embarassment, and a threat, to the administration, depending on what he might or might not say.

2) The longer OBL remains free, the longer the administration has a purpose and reason to exist. Possibly the administration knows that without OBL the whole supporting structure for the �War on Terrorism� would give way (just guessing). OBL is symbolic and provides everyone with a single, simple, well-defined point of focus for their hatred. He�s the administration�s prize jewel, and the fuel for their agenda of achieving global domination through hate, fear and destruction of anything that gets in their way. Mention OBL and what does everyone think? TERRORISM. As long as there is �terrorism�, the administration can use it to justify their hawkish agenda. Take away OBL and we (the nation) lose focus, and there goes the UMPH. Bush needs OBL to remain free. Without OBL, he�s nothing (IMHO).

3) IMO Pakistan was enlisted to capture only certain identifiable �terrorist� figures for the purpose of fooling most people into thinking actual progress was being made on the �War on Terrorism�. In exchange, Pakistan would receive favors from the Bush administration.

The outcome of the meeting between Bush and Pervez Musharraf was predictable, IMO. They�re in cahoots �

posted on Dec, 4 2004 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I'm sure bush knows where his pawn osama bin laden is like a chess player knows where his pawns are.

top topics

join