It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Has the Chinese Fishing Industry Been Affected by the Fukushima Daiichi Disaster?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
You can read news headlines like the following, and many more that are similar:

“Mysterious die off of young salmon” in Pacific Northwest"

“Far less plankton than normal… Researchers now testing for plankton and Fukushima contamination off West Coast"

"Huge increase in dead and sick sea mammals on California coast"

"Sea lions ‘mysteriously’ vanishing on other side of Pacific"

"Nuclear waste “flowing out to sea” from underground tunnels at Fukushima"

"Clearly detectable in tuna at California coast… We focus a lot on bio-accumulation"

"Fukushima radioactive releases into ocean can continue thousands of more years, says nuclear expert"
(all from enenews.com)...

but you will not hear much of late about the Chinese fishing industry.

Years ago, I read that fish make up a huge part of the diet of the typical Chinese person.

It was reported back then that, out on the Pacific, the Chinese operated huge fishing vessels that also served as floating fish processing factories and canneries.

These vessels would cast and trail fishing nets that would go five miles long swooping up many fish in one big haul, so much so that the Chinese fishermen were criticized for overfishing that would result in such an ecological imbalance of the ocean that, effectively, the ocean was being fished dry.

So what's the story now?

You'd think that the loss of fish for the Chinese, if this is, in fact, the case, would create a degree of a food shortage in China, yet nothing one way or the other is being reported about this in the news.

Long ago, I wrote about how misguided running a trade deficit with China was because, if ever there was a food shortage, or worse, a famine, due to some natural disaster, then the Chinese could use our own dollars to outbid us for our food... AND WE WOULD STARVE.

If a trade deficit isn't bad enough to tip the scales of the Golden Rule ("He who has the gold rules"), is it not pure insanity to ship billions of bottles of fresh water from the United States to China when there is a worldwide shortage of fresh water supplies? I understand that the Chinese have done a splendid job of polluting much of their own water.

Is this not even further insanity in the context of the severe drought in California, the source of a big portion of the world's food supply. The shortage of rainwater and water for irrigation in California has led to the failure of many crops with many fields left fallow.

I wonder, just how far would the billions of bottles of fresh drinking water that were shipped off to China go to irrigate California farms at a time of drought thereby helping to insure the continued production of valued food from there?

BTW, what ever became of the Reverend Sun Myong Moon's really big tuna fishing enterprise in the Pacific?

Oh, wait. Sun Myong Moon is not Chinese. He's Korean. Oh, wait, he's dead.

Anyway, a Unification Church spokesman was quoted as saying that the businesses were "not organizationally or legally connected" to the self-proclaimed "King-of the Ocean's" church but were simply "businesses founded by members of the Unification Church." (See: www.chicagotribune.com...=1 .)

So where are they now?

P.M.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have seen videos of fukushima protests in china on youtube, search em.

join