It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada: Prostitution is more than a labour rights issue

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Surely creating better and more economic opportunities for them, giving them a choice for a better future... Do that and I bet they jump at the chance.

don't bet on it.

i lived in an area that had lots of prostitutes, i ended up talking to a couple one day while they were taking a day off (had no idea how they earned their living before this, they were just neighbors). they were proud of what they did for a living. one even had a degree. yet they both felt they made much more money than they could even think of in a straight legal job as they could earn several hundred dollars a day, or should i say night for easy work with little effort involved. they could earn enough in a couple nights to live well for the week. they could work as much or as little as they wanted, and could feel free to go do something like party or go to a concert at the drop of the hat. they even had investments from their earnings which would let them retire in a few years if they wished. so unless you could find them jobs with that much earning potential and that much flexibility, it seems at least some would not want to do it.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Please don't come to Canada...we don't need American idiocy up here,stay down there please.

Oh Pshaw! C'mon up for a visit, HardCorps...always nice to show our American cousins there is still another way of doing things...

Edit to say that I am in no way inferring that the female pictured above is a 'working girl'. It's just a great patriotic pic!
edit on 7-8-2014 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

And it's a plus, that if/when our prostitutes have any medical issues, they have free health care!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Wo wo man come on we are supposed to be humble up here! I think the OP has good intentions but just doesn't understand the situation/issue fully.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Prostitution should be COMPLETELY 100% legal. It makes the whole experience safer. In fact it is only been recently (within the last 100 years or so) that prostitution was made illegal and demonized to the extent that it has. For the majority of human civilization it was a legitimate job for women (and men). They don't say that prostitution is the oldest profession for nothing.

Here's an article about the history of prostitution in America (I know the article is for Canada, but you get the idea)
When Prostitution Wasn't a Crime: The Fascinating History of Sex Work in America

But there was a time in American history when it wasn't quite so. Laws against selling sex are fairly new – just about 100 years old – and came onto the books long after the sex trade took root in American cities. Does that mean there was a time when selling sex was more tolerated? Or did the law simply take some time to catch up to the new American people's prejudices?

As the 19th century gave way to the 20th, social reformers took up the cause of ending prostitution outright, reframing prostitution as a “social disease” that could, through their efforts, be cured – that is, prohibited and abolished. They encouraged police to crack down on brothels and red-light districts. At the same time anti-prostitution policing and social campaigns were stepped up, cops who had enjoyed bribes and graft for protecting brothels came under increased scrutiny from religious reformers and early “women's rights” campaigners. The turn of the 20th century saw the opening of New York's first women's jail.

A history of the legality of prostitution throughout the ages.

Historical Timeline: History of Prostitution from 2400 BC to the Present

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
If legalized, it should be very well regulated, I mean VERY well regulated. I think the biggest reason prostitution is illegal are obvious...spread of disease and unwanted pregnancy. Other than those two things I honestly can't see the problem with someone paying for/being payed for sex. Hell, I feel like being a prostitute in a well regulated environment would be the ultimate job!

But seriously...
Something hypothetical that popped into my mind as I was typing this...does anyone think that prostitution becoming legal (in a well regulated sense) would lead to less violent crimes committed by sexually frustrated males? Sometimes when I see a dude flipping out over seemingly insignificant crap, I think to myself "He just needs to get laid." Do you think there is any substance in that train of thought?

Also...I can't help but giggle (and wonder) each time I've read a member's claims of "I have never and will never pay for sex"

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

Which also means I will not be taking my daughters to visit Canada anytime in the foreseeable future.

Look I get it...Prostitution is a huge problem... but making it legal will not solve anything.
Better education, access to decent jobs and more opportunities for woman seem to me like a better option.
this feels more like a cop out...rather than attempt social change and responsibly, they intend to pass a few feel better about themselves laws... and just ignore what's really going on---"Exploitation"---

Don't worry, we aren't upset that you refuse to bring your daughters up here for a visit. After all, we're only trying to help those people who are prostitutes & if you aren't in favor of wanting to help those who need help, then we don't want you here either. Dontcha know, if your children see legal safe prostitutes vs illegal unsafe prostitutes, it will make them want to be one.
Such silly logic. I know when I was younger (I'm a girl) when I saw prostitutes, I never ever wanted to end up in that situation.

It's the same thing with the safe injection sites, making safe hallucinogenic drugs & abortion clinics. We realize it's going to happen regardless of the laws so let's try to make it as safe as possible.

Canada still wants to bust the John's and so they should be busted. Pretty sure they are still going after pimps and if they don't they should, most of the time the prostitute got addicted to drugs and needs to sell her body to make money for drugs.

70% may be Native Americans but really what can you do about it? Native Americans are choosing not to better themselves even though they have amazing opportunities to do so.

All we can do is continue to provide safety for those hooking, make it so they have labor laws & punish the John's & Pimps.

Better education, access to decent jobs and more opportunities for woman seem to me like a better option.
How's that working out for the prostitutes in your country? Not really working at all is it.

It's not ignoring exploitation, that's what is happening in the U.S, it's Canada trying to make a bad situation better and if you can't see it that way, bummer.

Heck, maybe Robert Pickton wouldn't have killed so many people if prostitution had already been legalized & safety measures were in place.

You can offer up ways for prostitutes to leave the industry but that doesn't mean all of them are going to do so. In my small town there are programs out there for prostitutes to leave the industry but many don't. It's just like having rehab centers, doesn't mean all addicts are going to run there and get clean. Some people are content to live their life the way they are, whether you agree with it or not

edit on 7-8-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2014 by knoledgeispower because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Makes me laugh when someone says they've never paid for sex. Um, you ever been on a date?

And how many times did you have to wine and dine her before "it" happened?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Coach Knight
Makes me laugh when someone says they've never paid for sex. Um, you ever been on a date?

You should(?) try marriage.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Married 27 years here. And you still pay for it in one way or another. You always pay.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Prostitution is an important and respectful service.. ask any twenty something year old.

If someone wants to do it, they should be able to in a safe and respectable way.

(Of course against sex slaves and things like that..)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Trivago Guy says: I like Canada! I get my hotel for half price, when I split the cost with Rob Ford!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
70% may be Native Americans but really what can you do about it?

Really is that true?

Man that's sad.

Here were some Native Americans, possibly living a nice life in tune with nature, then here comes the white man, bringing the white world with them, ultimately turning this race into second class citizens living in poverty. I am sure much of the 'not assimilating' with the white world had to do with their sentiments.

Same thing happened with the natives of Hawaii, now mostly owned by the white world.. and the natives now live in poverty like second class citizens.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Prostitutes wish they could make as much as a married women does for sex.

Semi tongue in cheek.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: intrepid

Prostitutes wish they could make as much as a married women does for sex.

Semi tongue in cheek.

You said "semi".

Well, it's more than money. There's emotional commitment as well. There were days that I saw House's point of view. Other days I saw his lack of a life.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Man, oh man.

Everybody in my office heard that laugh!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: nOraKat

originally posted by: knoledgeispower
70% may be Native Americans but really what can you do about it?

Really is that true?

Man that's sad.

Here were some Native Americans, possibly living a nice life in tune with nature, then here comes the white man, bringing the white world with them, ultimately turning this race into second class citizens living in poverty. I am sure much of the 'not assimilating' with the white world had to do with their sentiments.

Same thing happened with the natives of Hawaii, now mostly owned by the white world.. and the natives now live in poverty like second class citizens.

I was just pointing out what someone else had said.

Actually, Native Americans weren't all peaceful before we came along. They were very territorial over lands & were often fighting other tribes

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join