Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Honest Gun Owning Mom Now Facing 11-Years Behind Bars

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Not sure why i can not post in the posse comitatus forum? Any way WOW JUST WOW. This is complete and utter overkill people wonder why i left Nazi Jersey stuff like this. And for the record i have friends that were caught with ILLEGAL firearms and the worst 1 of them got was an 3-5 and he has priors. Another got 6 months. Only mistake she made was going to police state Jersey..

link....www.my9nj.com...
from link..

Chasing New Jersey first brought you the story of Shaneen Allen, the single mother from Philadelphia who didn't know it was illegal to bring the gun she was legally licensed to carry in Philly into New Jersey. When she got pulled over for a minor traffic offense she told the police about the gun and was arrested facing a mandatory three-year sentence.

After hearing about the case, most people thought there's no way she would do time for an honest mistake. Well, yesterday she was in court and she can now face a maximum sentence of 11.5 years in prison. Ten years for possession of a weapon and another 18 months for possession of the bullets.

Allen's attorney Evan Nappen discussed how a person with no prior offenses could end up spending a decade behind bars for being honest.

“New Jersey's gun law is as unforgiving as a prosecutor or judge wants to make it. Either of those two, the judge or the prosecutor could have taken steps to relieve Shaneen from this situation, but it didn't happen,” he said.

Nappen said that not only did the judge not dismiss the case, but the prosecutor will not allow her into a pretrial intervention to avoid jail time.

edit on 8/7/2014 by Mirthful Me because: EX Tags Added...

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

Honestly, a responsible gun owner should KNOW the laws if they're going to carry it over state lines. I can't comment on Jersey's laws because I don't know them. I REALLY hope she doesn't have to do any time, she doesn't deserve that, but she should have checked it out first.
edit on 8/7/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8

If the people of New Jersey had any sense, they'd be lined out outside the courthouse in an outrage. But once again, everyone will roll over and just take it because it doesn't effect them. And because of that complacency, it will keep getting worse and worse.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Boy, this is a great testament for being honest isn't it? Teaching kids a great lesson, right?

This is asinine.

Give her a fine. I agree with BH, she should have checked into the law before going there. But 11.5 years? Plea bargain with no chance of parole for 3.5 years?

Not a state I ever want to visit.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Bah...

Forget her ignorance, no matter how inexcusable... The real reason for her vigorous prosecution is readily apparent...

Last October, Shaneen Allen, 27, was pulled over in Atlantic County, N.J. The officer who pulled her over says she made an unsafe lane change. During the stop, Allen informed the officer that she was a resident of Pennsylvania and had a conceal carry permit in her home state. She also had a handgun in her car. Had she been in Pennsylvania, having the gun in the car would have been perfectly legal. But Allen was pulled over in New Jersey, home to some of the strictest gun control laws in the United States.

Allen is a black single mother. She has two kids. She has no prior criminal record. Before her arrest, she worked as a phlebobotomist. After she was robbed two times in the span of about a year, she purchased the gun to protect herself and her family. There is zero evidence that Allen intended to use the gun for any other purpose. Yet Allen was arrested. She spent 40 days in jail before she was released on bail. She’s now facing a felony charge that, if convicted, would bring a three-year mandatory minimum prison term.

Nothing like a progressive blue state for that patented soft bigotry... She should move down south, where she can enjoy her constitutional freedoms from state to state and without the blatant racism of the north...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
If I were a state legislator in Pennsylvania, I would propose a law making illegal for residents of New Jersey to be in Pennsylvania. Mandatory 10 yr. prison term. 20 yrs. if you ever appeared on "Jersey Shore."

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Honestly, a responsible gun owner should KNOW the laws if they're going to carry it over state lines.

Absolutely. If she is savvy enough to arm herself to protect here family and get her CCW she should know that the carry permits are not nationally recognized. A simple Google search on CCW reciprocity between states would have resolved the issue before it became one.

Maybe she knew this and choose to carry it anyway. After all she WAS going to New Jersey. Before any NJ residents get upset I've lived there many years.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Let's hope a sensible jury nullifies the law.

That'll teach 'em.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Mirthful Me

So, she didn't check out the law about transporting a firearm across state lines (which every gun owner should know to do), she broke the law (ignorance of the law) and she's black, so it MUST be because of race?

A similar (but worse) situation happened to Brian Aitken in New Jersey and he's lily white.

I am the first to acknowledge that the legal system in this country treats black people worse than whites, by far. But to jump to the conclusion that this happened because she's black sounds a little "race card-y" to me.

New Jersey's laws are very restrictive (I disagree with them) and I think it's likely the laws that are to blame, rather than the color of her skin. I could be wrong, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

This arrest does nothing to curb gun violence, which is what gun laws are supposed to do. She has no priors and is not a threat at all. Her life shouldn't be ruined for this mistake.
edit on 8/7/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Honestly, a responsible gun owner should KNOW the laws if they're going to carry it over state lines.

Exactly what I was thinking.

From this, I take two lessons:

1- Americans do need to reform their justice system, ASAP.
2- This wouldn't happen if she wasn't carrying a gun.

Guns seem to generate more problems than those they solve.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Yes, her vigorous prosecution is due to her race. Obviously you didn't bother to read the article, or you are choosing to ignore the points that are made in it.

As I previously posted, her ignorance of New Jersey's gun laws are inexcusable, but not as inexcusable as the blatant violation of the Constitution by the state of New Jersey, or as morally corrupt as the obvious racially motivated prosecution.

The real heroes in this story are the pro gun rights groups that have rallied to Ms. Allen's cause.

You have to ask yourself why the state of New Jersey feels it's necessary to keep a woman without a criminal record in jail for 40 days, and pursue up to 13 years of state incarceration simply because she was forthright and honest about her exercise of her Constitutional rights?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

You have to ask yourself why the state of New Jersey feels it's necessary to keep a woman without a criminal record in jail for 40 days, and pursue up to 13 years of state incarceration simply because she was forthright and honest about her exercise of her Constitutional rights?

Because the justice system in the US is barbarous and unforgiving?

I don't think it's about race, nor guns. It's about putting everyone with the least offense inside bars. The US justice system simply does not care.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashKonnor
Because the justice system in the US is barbarous and unforgiving?

No... I enjoy the rights and freedoms inculcated by the U.S. Constitution in 38 states, the remaining 12 and the District of Columbia have usurped those rights from me, and my fellow citizens... The true villains are those responsible for this outrageous infringement, and they are the ones that should suffer our ire and disdain...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

I absolutely did read the article! That's where I read about Brian Aitken.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What disgusts me is how this is being over done. Take a look at habitual criminals with guns and look to see how long of prison time they serve. I disagree that her her race has as much to do with it as the fact that she was a legal gun owner from another state. This whole thing is the anti-gun crowds wet dream, they get a someone from another state who can legally carry there and can show just how disrespectful of the law gun owners are. While they can ignore the fact that habitual criminal usually lose the gun charges in plea deals since they usually have a few other charges to actually try in court. Fact is the law comes down heavier on licensed gun owners for what comes out to be minor problem than those who posses them illegally and use them in criminal activities.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Just give her a warning and a $500.00 fine and let her be on her way. Gun owners should have better rights when traveling to another state. We are all protected under the 2nd, or should be. I understand that each state has it's laws and blah blah blah, but it's too restricting. A legal gun owner should be able to have a gun while in America. just my 2

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Then you have chosen to ignore the points provided. Brian Aitken had multiple firearms when arrested, and was on the hook for ten years at the most, he received seven... An absolute travesty of justice, but my sympathy tapers at the state line. Why do citizens of these progressive oppressive blue states tolerate their Constitutional rights being trampled upon?

Get out of these states, or change these unconstitutional state laws...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: hangedman13
What disgusts me is how this is being over done. Take a look at habitual criminals with guns and look to see how long of prison time they serve. I disagree that her her race has as much to do with it as the fact that she was a legal gun owner from another state. This whole thing is the anti-gun crowds wet dream, they get a someone from another state who can legally carry there and can show just how disrespectful of the law gun owners are. While they can ignore the fact that habitual criminal usually lose the gun charges in plea deals since they usually have a few other charges to actually try in court. Fact is the law comes down heavier on licensed gun owners for what comes out to be minor problem than those who posses them illegally and use them in criminal activities.

But in New Jersey, she WASN'T a licensed gun owner. It's the individuals responsibility to know and understand the law, ignorance of statutes isn't a get out of jail free card. Don't get me wrong, I don't think she should have spent the 40 days in jail waiting to be bailed it let alone be looking at 3-11 1/2 years but NJ isn't taking a harder stance on her because she was a legal gun owner, in NJ she wasn't.

I also have a hard time believing that she was utterly clueless regarding her CCW reciprocity. Where I live its part of the mandatory class that everyone has to take prior to sending all of their documentation into the court for approval. It's pretty easy to google reciprocity laws to find out what other states accept your permit and which ones will prosecute you and any reasonably responsible gun owner is going to engage in some due diligence to avoid getting caught in such a predicament.

As or why habitual criminals tend to face less severe penalties, it goes a little deeper than the system of stacking charges and pleading down your charges. Habitual criminals generally tend to associate and work with other people of similar ilk. If you've got competition, someone owes you money, screwed you over on a deal or any number of other reasons... You roll over on them and get a reduced sentence. The system rewards rats as readily as it excuses law enforcement for their daily crimes against the civilian populace.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mirthful Me

Get out of these states, or change these unconstitutional state laws...

And that's exactly what is happening all across the northeast. In NY(and by NY i mean the rest of the state that exists north of Rockland county ) we have two options flee the tyranny like cowards or stay and fight.

There are a ridiculous number of lawsuits challenging the NY safe act. There have been a few small victories but unfortunately no judge has the balls to let Cuomo know that the legislation was passed in contravention to the NY state constitution as well as the US constitution.

The western circuit court has however recently ruled that that the magazine limitations are not legal but it also only affects counties that are in the western appellate district.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that November leads to a big turnover in our state government but either way you've got to decide between the lesser of two evils as opposed to deciding which is the better candidate. If I want my 2A rights reinstated I'm going to have to settle for destroying the environment and portions of the Adirondack State park because the candidates supporting the second amendment are also huge proponents of hydrofracking.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

If you stabbed yourself in the eye with a pencil, and then tried to sue the company that made the pencil I would not stand outside your court room.

I own guns, I live in a country with stricter laws than the US. I do not take my fire arms ANYWHERE with out first looking into any laws, rules, or regulations regarding the transport or possession of those firearms.

Just saying . Ignorance of the law, does not mean you are innocent.
edit on 7-8-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join