It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watching sports, I just don't get it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Okay I wanna start off by saying I have been playing hockey and soccer my whole life and enjoy it a lot, however I believe watching and playing a sport are two totally different things. I just cannot get into watching it on tv or going to the stadium in person, I look around and see people screaming there heads off and so concentrated on whats going on, they just look crazy and stupid to me. No matter what sport I watch (yes even hockey) I get so bored even if it is a team I have been brought up to like. It is actually funny when I find myself watching hockey with with my dad or anyone else for that matter I find myself pretending to be into it as it is a social norm and I just feel ridiculous and uncomfortable. I would rather sit in my garage and watch the news or stare at a wall than watch a baseball game. Perhaps the most comical part about the sports are the player interviews, when the reporter asks stupid and pointless questions about about the game when clearly they simply just got out played, nothing more nothing less. Seriously the constant pre game and post game shows seem just as tedious as the game, the constant over analyzing is pointless! is What I find even more strange is my parents will have a super bowl party and watch the game, what is so strange about that you ask? MY PARENTS DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL not one game during the season! It's a social thing I guess but still I cannot, I will not pretend that I am into it one I am not at all. I will never understand it! Am I alone? does anyone on here feel the same way? or am I just crazy for not wanting to watch two teams go back and forth for 3 hours?
edit on 7-8-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2014 by Shepard64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Shepard64

going to the stadium in person, I look around and see people screaming there heads off and so concentrated on whats going on, they just look crazy and stupid to me.

Isn't a Matrix style awakening grand?

Try not to fret over those that are still "plugged in", they walk their own path. Just keep learning what you are being shown as it is being presented to you.

link   
Well I love the tactical part of sports, and everything a long those lines, not to mention its a social thing, but I agree watching bad teams play and getting through the whole game is pretty tough

link   
I cannot even watch sports. I have never gotten it. Its such a mindless waste of everything. If you want to torture me tie me to a chair and force me to watch sports on a TV. Bout as bad as watching wrestling and believing its real.

edit on 7-8-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: A1nth0ny

Maybe that has something to do with it, when I was a kid I loved watching the leafs with my dad until I realized they sucked and I was tired of watching them lose. My dad however has not given up on them.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Last time I watched sports was when I was forced to watch it, I honestly do not get it either. But for me I do not even play sport... Is reading a sport?
edit on 7 8 2014 by elixz because: correction

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It's all about appreciation. If you don't appreciate the talent, you won't enjoy watching sports.
To each their own.
I for one, love watching my local teams. Besides boring ol' baseball anyway

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You just need beer to enjoy any game

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

Ya I see where your coming from, I should have put in my OP "to each there own" I do support that phrase.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I never have understood the maniac sports worshippers/athlete worshippers. I rarely watch any sport, but I do watch a little of the super bowl. I used to watch boxing when it was good but haven't seen it since mid-to-late 90's. I like Ninja Warrior but the new "yankee yuppie ninja warrior" is a laughable joke compared to the original. I also know people who don't watch football games but they have a super bowl party. It's a social tool for gatherings. 'bout like a funeral is to some. I also find it bizarre that people paint themselves up and support teams with so much dedication. But they have the right to do whatever they want and they ain't hurting me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I feel the same way (about some sports). I think a huge aspect of it is that it makes people feel like they're a part of something. Same reason many people might get involved with a political group, a church, a gang, etc etc.
Find a couple random football fans and ask them who their favorite team is... And then ask them why. I'm willing to bet half of them won't have a better answer than "I think they're a good team".
edit on 8/7/2014 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   

I watch one sport.

Formula 1 car racing.

Never miss one.

Mercedes is leading it at the moment. The Team that Hitler promoted, along with Audi, to demonstrate to the world the German technological supremacy.

The Irony is the best driver out there is a black man who drives for Mercedes as team mate of an actual German.

It's like 1936 all over again and Jesse Owens is leading the pack.

The drama and politics is without precedent.

F1 is a platform to develop and display the leading edge of four wheel technology.

The formula constantly changes to draw the automotive industry ahead through competition to create better and better automobiles for all of us to drive.

Few realize that F1 cars are actually electric/gas hybrids, just like a Toyota Prius.

The best batteries are being developed for F1. The most efficient charging systems and most powerful electric motors are being envisioned and built to race in F1.

Rules set standards for fuel efficiency, safety and longevity UNIQUE to the sport of F1 car racing.

Engines must last 5 races, which leads to innovations in durability. Same goes for transmissions.

Cars must complete the race without refuelling which puts a premium on gas mileage.

This year the Formula has reduced engine size from the monstrous V12s of the previous century to 2500cc V6 engines with 165 horsepower electric motors making up the difference.

Each lap the car completely exhausts it's battery capacity and completely recharges back to full capacity via braking and harnessing of waste heat.

Races are located on every continent other than Antarctica and the tracks have history dating back to the dawn of motoring.

The nationalities and races of the drivers are equally diverse as the countries hosting the races which include, China, Russia, USA, Canada, England, Germany, France, Belgium, Australia, Malaysia, Japan, Singapore, Dubai, Monaco, Hungary, Austria, Bahrain, Spain, Brazil and of course the home of Ferrari, Italy.

Formula 1 is the only sport I can think of that actually serves a purpose.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Yes I feel ya brother, I love actually racing, I miss it but I can not sit and watch it for more than 5-10min.
I think people look silly yelling at the drivers or players like they could do any better without the required training or practice.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Shepard64
No matter what sport I watch (yes even hockey) I get so bored even if it is a team I have been brought up to like.

See ... I can't even imagine being bored with hockey. The puck never stops moving and there are scrums and brawls etc etc ... and the announcers are always talking about strange stats and hockey trivia. I can see people being bored with tennis ... or golf ... or basketball ... but HOCKEY???? Wow. But okay ... you like what you like.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Shepard64
No matter what sport I watch (yes even hockey) I get so bored even if it is a team I have been brought up to like.

See ... I can't even imagine being bored with hockey. The puck never stops moving and there are scrums and brawls etc etc ... and the announcers are always talking about strange stats and hockey trivia. I can see people being bored with tennis ... or golf ... or basketball ... but HOCKEY???? Wow. But okay ... you like what you like.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

You're obviously NOT from Toronto.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Sports is something you like to watch or you dont. Not much more to it than that.
I enjoy football (american) and baseball, mostly for the strategy and great athlete's.
I don't like auto racing though,,, all they do is turn left?
Maybe to need to look at it differently, I can't understand why people can watch shows like bigfoot hunters. Can anyone explain the draw to that crap?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I thought I was the only one who thought the same way as you do! I played a lot of sports in high school, but never really got into watching games or sports on TV. I always preferred playing the game instead of watching it. The only time I can really get into watching a game is if my son was playing on the team, or my college alma mater was playing in a play-off game. My son is the complete opposite of me. He loves watching football on TV, and acts like a Fantasy football bookie during the football season, lol. I'm more interested what food is available during the game, lol.

You and I are probably in the lower 15 percent of guys that find watching sports boring. (I still can't understand how people can watch golf on TV!)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I would have to agree entirely with you. I have always loathed professional sports. Like you I have always been an avid player of sports, from Lacrosse to baseball, golf, karate, and even baseball and soccer. You name it and I will happily go out and play with you. However the thought of actually having to sit and watch a bunch of other people playing.... It just seems so boring. Most of my family are die hard fans and sports have been on the tv for as long as I can remember. But since day 1 i always thought it was a huge waste of time. My sister is an exceptional swimmer and has devoted her entire life to it. I often ask her why she would devote her entire life to something as trivial as swimming in a pool back and forth and we both look at each other like the other is from Mars. She loves it and works very hard at it every single day. I honestly see it as a huge waste of time, resources and effort. Who cares if you can swim .3 seconds faster than everybody else? I just don't get the motivation? Maybe I am just to ADD or something but i love varying my experiences. You know, trying new things? Getting out of my comfort zone etc. I guess certain brains are just wired differently. But hey that's cool no worries i respect anyone who wants to play sports for fun or professionally. My issue is the nut case fans who know every single statistic, every single bio, go to every single game because they believe the team needs them, BS. It's like a giant Soma pill (Brave New World reference there) an opiate for the masses. A Significant number of people in the world put sports at a much higher priority than human rights, war, science, spirituality, politics, their children etc. Now that i have a problem with. imagine if just one NFl sports teams fan base cared about some sociological issue like they care about "their team". I think a whole lot would get done. Especially if it was done with the amount of energy and passion that they expel for said team. Now add in the amount of money that gets pumped into the players paychecks, and sporting venues and we start to see that there is some seriously bass ackwards hogwash going on. Sports also divide us. I could not tell you how many fights I have seen because one idiot decides to tell another idiot that there team is the best. Sports rivalries have become almost as extreme as religious rivalries. A lot of people bandwagon sports teams like they do nations, races and religions. its almost like we enjoy the separation. Anything to feed the ego. Competition can be healthy and fun but the degree in which sports has gotten is out of hand in my opinion. Lets fix some of the worlds problems before we build another $100,000 million sports arena eh? Sorry i kind of went all over the place with this post but i think there are some very interesting points within this topic. I remember hearing someone compare the fall of Rome and the gladiatorial games to the fall of America and Sports broadcasting. UFC, NFL, etc etc interesting correlations to say the least. Have a great day everybody!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

People watch bigfoot hunters...lol.
Also there is way more to racing besides turning left, but I can see how it would be boring to some.

Peace.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Cogidubnus

That's what it comes down to, there is just to many other things to worry about than how your team is doing in the play offs but then again I watch things that some people would consider a waste of time as well.

Nice post, I wish I added some of those points into my OP. Thats Interesting about the "fall of rome" thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join