It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 18th, Scotlands date with destiny...

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
So, having been correctly chastised by the OP for an alleged 'self fulfilling prophecy' in my first post, I now focus on the possible risks of things getting violent after the vote is decided, as the OP intended to discuss.
Certainly, if the angry responses I've seen in this thread so far (and elsewhere on ATS) are concerned then I would be a fool not to imagine that in a scraped 51% vote either way there will be some folk who after one wee dram too many will quickly resort to violence to enforce their argument.
I hope that is never the case but I do not believe it to be unlikely.
edit on 8-8-2014 by grainofsand because: To add the word alleged, for clarification

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand
I think that the ones who would resort to violence would be violent for one reason or another. Football, women, religion, race. Bams will be bams any reason is just an excuse. However I don't think there is any risk of organised politics violence.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoloprotocolLink to such a threat please.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

He said Scotland would be 'willing and able' to take on its share of national debt, but could not be expected to do so if it does not get a fair share of the Bank of England.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I hope the no's have it....yes, I think we are stronger together, living on the border I'm frequently in Scotland, I'm half Scottish (Elder, mums side), I have lots of Scottish friends....but more importantly, I want to see that smug, horrid grin wiped off Salmonds face. Just out of interest, will the Scottish Nazi National Party be in charge if the yes vote wins? Or will there be an election straight away?

ETA: Looking at the recent polls, the no vote is looking more likely, hurrah!
edit on 9/8/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk
First election is scheduled 6 weeks after the proposed independence day.
Do you really think the most important constitutional decision in generation should be based on nit liking a politicians coupon?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   

There is no one to challenge the SNP in an election. Who would you suggest...a scottish labour party that sings the Westminster song?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

No, not at all, it would just be an added bonus.

The most important things, in my opinion, is that when tough times come a calling, we are stronger together than separated. I have ties to both Scotland and England, to be honest, I often forget that they are two separate countries....I would hate to see the bond broken.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 02:54 PM
link   

People slag off the SNP and yet, we have the strongest economy in the UK. We still have things like no tuition fees, free prescriptions...on a Westminster budget.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon
Personally I disagree with a lot of SNP policies but do think they have been a very effective government. They are well organised and seem to have far less corruption than most parties.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
a reply to: midicon
seem to have far less corruption than most parties.

Or they are just better at hiding it...

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   
That might be true but if all politicians are corrupt would you rather have the idiots who cant even keep it discrete or the smart ones who hide it?

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If the Scots vote no can they please shut up about it afterwards please.
Getting sick of the Bravehearts at work at the moment.
If they vote yes we will invade anyhow...or wall them in.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   

If I was getting screwed over, damn right I would want to know about it.

I think, at the very least, if the yes vote has it then the option to re-join the union at a later date should be considered.

If it goes tits up for the Scottish, it would be nice to know they have a fallback plan, I'm not saying they can't go it alone, but one can never tell.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Then the rest of us would have a referendum on whether we want them back or not.
In fact whatever way it goes we in the rest of the UK should have one asking If we want them in the union or not.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
You can't blame an entire country for the thoughts and feelings of a few, and if the opinion polls are anything to go by, the "Bravehearts" as you so eloquently put it are the minority.

Just because highland bananas aren't up to your chimpanese standards....

edit on 9/8/14 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
You cant have a vote to throw us out but you can have one to leave the union yourselves. Of course then Scotland really would keep the pound.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Personally I disagree with a lot of SNP policies but do think they have been a very effective government. They are well organised and seem to have far less corruption than most parties.

I watched John Swinney taking exception to Osbourne and Alexander' comments on his competency. He shut them up effectively by saying he had been balancing the books for five years and had made a better job of it than them.

Independence is only the first step. The following election would be a strange one. The SNP will stand on their record and the labour party don't have one to stand on.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
a reply to: uncommitted

I'm not blaming the English people for anything at all. It is not about nationality it's about the whole set up in Westminster. The English people will still have to deal with that lot. It's not about blame but a hope for change.

I dislike Brown and Blair as much as you do.

You used a quote from Tony Benn that suggested English people were the issue, hence my response. If when you talk of Whitehall you mean the HOC, it's just the place where MPs from all of the UK come to debate. If it moved to Birmingham, Cardiff, Nottingham or Manchester would that make you happier? It would still be the same people in it, elected in their constituency. Salmond plays that card so often it gets tiresome.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

That's a load of tosh. You can read that quote any way you like. That was never my intention. Read my comments in any thread I am not anti English in any way.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I think if the seat of government was outside London it would make a difference. The massive over centralisation of power in London is a major problem. Most large western states don't as much centralisation of government, finance and culture all in one place. (France being possibly the major exception)

edit on 9-8-2014 by ScepticScot because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join