It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 18th, Scotlands date with destiny...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Cruithneach
I'm sure it'll be the same sort of thing as the UK/ROI relationship, or I at least hope it will if the Scots vote for it.
But I will have poignant thoughts the first time I cross an international border into Scotland, even if there aren't any border guards asking for my passport. Call me overly sentimental, but I will definitely feel different on my first experience of it, and probably take a stupid photo when I cross into foreign parts on a British land border.
I've walked across a few international borders in my life, some just a stick in the grounds, some with barbed wire and armed guards and military bases either side of no-mans-land...but never on the island I live on.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: helldiver

originally posted by: cyberheater

You missed the point. The pound is Scotlands currency plain and simple..

You are wrong. From the Sterling Wiki.

"As the central bank of the United Kingdom which has been delegated authority by the government, the Bank of England sets the monetary policy for the British Pound by controlling the amount of money in circulation. It has a monopoly on issuance of banknotes in England and Wales, and regulates the amount of banknotes issued by a seven authorized banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland."

It is totally controlled by the Bank of England. They have the ability to redraw the authorisation of Scottish banks to issue Sterling.

For crying out loud! Question: what is the currency of Scotland?

Come on, you can do it. I'll give you a hint: its the same as Wales, NI and Englands.
....and why is it the same as Wales, England and N. Ireland?

Come on, you can do it.... I'll give you a hint... They are part of a union.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Westminster has to lie...it cannot say you can keep the pound. The truth is we would be better off without it and the whole drama is just a sham.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon
The sad thing is that there are so many lies presented as facts coming from both sides.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Maybe Salmonds plan B should just to go Petro Dollar and tell Westminster to **** right off.
edit on 7-8-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol
Wow you appear so angry.
You have the vote to decide coming up in only weeks from now, why are you not just...well...urm..happy, and more friendly?

*Edit*
I want the first reply in this thread to be proven wrong in public.
It was my reply.
edit on 7-8-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
Wow you appear so angry.
You have the vote to decide coming up in only weeks from now, why are you not just...well...urm..happy, and more friendly?

*Edit*
I want the first reply in this thread to be proven wrong in public.
It was my reply.

I believe more to the point is, why would a Welsh/Englishman be hanging around in every Scottish independence thread like a infinite fart in a spacesuit if he wasn't very worried about something.
What's wrong? could it be it's just sunk in that when the Oil revenue Runs into Edinburgh instead of Westminster, YOU, south of the border will be up a brown creek without even a Canoe whilst us Scots will be dictating to "YOU" the price of a Gallon.?

Has that realisation sunk in yet...i believe it has, but no-one seems to want to talk about it other than the "Oil is a Burden, it's not yours, there is nothing left up there anyway.
Maybe i'm wrong, maybe Westminster CAN absorb the impact that a sudden cut in 90% of all oil and gas revenue would have on future plans for a new sewage system, a new HS2. and all the other crap they have planned for south of the Watford Gap.

And any more of yer #e we will send the Nukes down...Red Hot and in motion.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am interested because I am a UK national just like you (right now) and Scotland is making a decision which will have an impact on the UK. Does my interest really surprise you?

All the rest of your assertions about me personally I shall just dismiss as silly ravings and views which I do not hold myself.
...as I said, have a cup of tea and chill out, you got the vote through democratic process, hardly tyranny when the alleged tyrant listens to the electorate, so why are you so angry?
You should be happy as far as I see it.

*Edit*
Oh, and I live in the SW of England, a rural and forgotten geographical extreme of our island which is as skint as any other area outside of London so the UK infrastructure investments you are so bitter about have as little relevance to me as they do to you.
There is no need to be angry with everyone who is not Scottish...you have the vote you are clearly so passionate about, and I am pleased for you.
edit on 7-8-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Do you really think for one minute the bank of Engand won't want Scotland to keep the pound?

Yes.
They won't want to underwrite a new country because of all the uncertainty that goes with it.

And the people of the rUK don't want the currency union.

And why would an independent Scotland want to be tied to a currency it has absolutely no say or control over? - that is not independence.

edit on 7/8/14 by Freeborn because: grammar

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

That's nonsense. The Bank of England will be falling over itself to keep monetary union. I have a forlorn hope that they will refuse it though. The people of the UK will follow any political spin presented, just like you are doing.

No one with half a brain wants currency union after independence. We need our own currency. The rest is all fear mongering and reverse psychology.

I already posted a quote supporting that position. Here it is again.

Professor David Simpson, a Harvard-educated economist who has worked for the UN, World Bank, European Commission and Standard Life, told the committee that a currency union is likely, however.

In a written submission, he said: "A currency union based on sterling remains the most likely outcome following independence because it is in the best interests of not just Scotland but of England as well.

"It has been suggested that to work properly, a currency union requires political union, but the historical experience of those monetary unions between sovereign states that have been successful provides evidence to the contrary.

"It would be quite possible for Scotland to keep the pound following independence without entering into any formal currency union.

"Indeed, this would not only be possible but, if Scottish interests alone were to count, it would be desirable.

"The Bank of England would not act as a guarantor for Scottish banks or the Scottish Government.

"This is an advantage, not a disadvantage. It was precisely the implied promise of a bailout from the European Central Bank that allowed so many eurozone banks and governments to get themselves into a crisis of excessive debt."

Sunday Herald.

edit on 8-8-2014 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Rob48

I still won't accept Scottish notes for payment when I can't know if they are fake or not, and most folk I know here feel the same - again, it won't make much difference to us 'down here'

Maybe we should adopt your approach up here and use the same pish excuse when you hand over your (forged) English notes.

I used to do that for a week every time I came back from London when I worked in Ground Control in Edinburgh.

I am Scottish and my Yes vote is based on only having our vote count when there's marginal differences on election results in England. From what I've seen there's more evidence we have a brighter financial future going solo, after a settling in period. If we stay with the UK things will get worse.

Anyway can we talk about the civil disorder issue now.. (still reading, it may get back on track *fingers crossed*

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Not seen this mentioned in this thread:
Cameron secret visit

In summary, Clair Ridge oil surveys have discovered many times more oil than first suspected so the entire Oil crew involved in the discovery has been sent on paid leave until after the referendum, to co-incidence with David Cameron being the first UK PM visit to the Shetland isles in 34 years...all done under the cover of darkness.

I hope for a yes vote for entirely selfish reasons as it will mean the UK government has to devolve more power from Westminster and London to the regions to meet peoples modern expectations of proper representation on local issues.

edit on 8-8-2014 by Jukiodone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Ok so not much chat about possible Paramilitary movements after the vote or riots on the day itself.

This was meant to be a thread.about that not a discussion about the possibility of a monetary union. Though some good links, quotes and points have been brought up.

Thanks for the self fulfilling prophecy at the start numbnuts...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
Cameron secret visit

This also makes interesting reading...

www.newsnetscotland.com...
edit on 8/8/14 by djz3ro because: I put the link in wrong

edit on 8/8/14 by djz3ro because: I edited it wrong the first time...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jukiodone
Cameron secret visit

In summary, Clair Ridge oil surveys have discovered many times more oil than first suspected so the entire Oil crew involved in the discovery has been sent on paid leave until after the referendum, to co-incidence with David Cameron being the first UK PM visit to the Shetland isles in 34 years...all done under the cover of darkness.

I hope for a yes vote for entirely selfish reasons as it will mean the UK government has to devolve more power from Westminster and London to the regions to meet peoples modern expectations of proper representation on local issues.

Total rubbish.

Cameron's visit was not in " Undercover of Darkness" Take a look at the photographs on the link.

www.shetnews.co.uk...

As for keeping it secret, well again the photographs speak for themselves.

edit on 8-8-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:13 AM
link   
It is my hope that in the final call the Scots are not blinded by the

ambition of the egotistical Alex Salmond and oil!! ... or maybe I

should say the 'oily' Alex Salmond LOL!!

With independence/freedom comes full responsibility ....

No custodian/keeper/trustee to absorb the dire results of all

mistakes/deficits/bad decisions .... Are the Scots/Alex Salmond

really ready for this

Alex Salmond comes over as a very poor copy of Mel Gibson AKA

William Wallace (LOL!) .... but I'm convinced that's who he sees

when he looks in the mirror
.... sad

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:15 AM
link   

"As the central bank of the United Kingdom which has been delegated authority by the government, the Bank of England sets the monetary policy for the British Pound by controlling the amount of money in circulation. It has a monopoly on issuance of banknotes in England and Wales, and regulates the amount of banknotes issued by a seven authorized banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland."

It is totally controlled by the Bank of England. They have the ability to redraw the authorisation of Scottish banks to issue Sterling.

Come on, you can do it. I'll give you a hint: its the same as Wales, NI and Englands.

Which is why Salmond stated at a nationalist event again the other day that he still threatening to default on national debt if he doesn't get the currency (because he has NO legal right to it).

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Which is why Salmond stated at a nationalist event again the other day that he still threatening to default on national debt if he doesn't get the currency (because he has NO legal right to it).

Link to such a threat please.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Yes with your amusing use of oily and your stunning exclamation of LOL you have truly convinced me that Scotland is do stupid to run its own affairs.

what's that a William Wallace reference as well!!!! Please stop your argument is just too convincing. We should immediately disband the Scottish Parliament and recall all MPs. Truly cant deal with responsibility of making our own decisions!

please have mercy and let us become a proper colony of England, it id our only chance.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

It is my hope that in the final call the Scots are not blinded by the

ambition of the egotistical Alex Salmond and oil!! ... or maybe I

should say the 'oily' Alex Salmond LOL!!

With independence/freedom comes full responsibility ....

No custodian/keeper/trustee to absorb the dire results of all

mistakes/deficits/bad decisions .... Are the Scots/Alex Salmond

really ready for this

Alex Salmond comes over as a very poor copy of Mel Gibson AKA

William Wallace (LOL!) .... but I'm convinced that's who he sees

when he looks in the mirror
.... sad

Wow, what a condescending bastard you are.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join