It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 18th, Scotlands date with destiny...

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Three quotes from speeches made by Alex Salmond over the years >>>>

# 10. 11. 1999 .... "The pound is a millstone around Scotland's neck"

# 6. 01. 2009 ...." Alex Salmond predicted that abandoning the pound

and joining the 'euro' will be a vote winner for Scottish independence.

As you know we are in sterling, and sterling is sinking like a stone"

# Aug. 2014 .... "Its our pound and we're keeping it!"

Consistency?? yea .... LOL!!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: SearchLightsInc

I'm a 48 year old Englishman whose 4 grandparents were ALL Irish by birth - but where's the relevance of that?

Just curious as to your nationality.
Do you actually know any real Scots?
Have you ever actually been to Scotland?

Then you should know all about the oppression of the Irish by the English for a good few hundred years? The relevance being that the scots have also been oppressed in the past, not so much now.

Ireland has nothing to do with Scottish independence - unless you want to stir up all the sectarian bigotry, hatred and bollocks.

I know... Im bringing the Irish history into this because the Irish wanted to be free... Just like the Scots... They are two countries that have been in similar situations with the English... I think it's relevant and if you dont well that tough, cry about it somewhere else.

And to imply that Scotland is 'oppressed' is a lie and as much an insult to Scotland and its people as it is to the English.

No, i am implying that Scotland HAS been oppressed, not that they are now.

Scotland has been a FULL and EQUAL partner since its inception - they are now having the debate and opportunity to decide if they see a better future for themselves as an independent nation or whether to remain within the Union, probably with even more devolved power.

Yup, and all im saying is the Scottish people are getting a raw deal either way. Vote independence, only your politicians will benefit. Stay within the union and you're still getting screwed.

They are NOT a subjugated nation and to suggest such displays an ignorance of both the history and the current state of affairs.

I wasnt suggesting that and im quite suprised by how much you have mis-read my post that you have chosen to reply to Freeborn - I'll assume because it was later in the evening you must have been tired.

Quite ironically many migrated to England itself and to live and prosper amongst those very same 'damn English'.

Indeed, after England killed off its workforce suddenly the Irish were useful to them. Many migrated over here loking for a better standard of living - And they worked hard for it. The amount of racism the irish suffered at the english is all to often brushed over, if ever mentioned at all. No Blacks, No dogs, No Irish.

This isn't about Scotland 'getting' or 'gaining' independence, they've never been denied it - its about them CHOOSING independence, a subtle but massive difference.
I sincerely hope you can see that?

You either have full independence or you dont. By the sounds of it Scotland has had a taste of what independence mean's but not the whole thing. I genuinely dont care if they stay or go, i just want to make my opinion heard. If you vote yes to leave the union because you think you will benefit in some way, you are naive.

Sorry, the moment anyone even mentions William Wallace and the Braveheart nonsense my eyes roll as credibility goes out the window.

Shame that,considering everything he fought for. I thought he would be an important part of scotlands history but what do i know? Im just a 25 year old english girl of irish decent!

I agree....but here's the thing; I understand it when people say things like 'this is our opportunity to start afresh and demand standards and levels of responsibility of our representatives that is currently denied us', and if I was Scottish I'd be severely tempted to believe that - I just personally think we have a better chance of achieving that by remaining together.

If the Scottish want to leave, let them do their own thing. They're old enough now to make decisions for themselves.

Ultimately that's all irrelevant - Scotland will do as Scotland see's fit, which is right.
But that decision will be made and respected because of the freedoms they have within this Union and not as an oppressed people as some ignorantly believe.

Again, i dont believe that the Scottish are oppressed, i mean they HAVE been oppressed. I cant believe how much you've taken my post out of context, im sat here like "...WTF?"

So go ahead Scots, finally rid yourselves of this terrible union. Let your politicians lead you to the promise land!
edit on 12-8-2014 by SearchLightsInc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Er, not really. The Union of the Scottish and the English did not result in Scottish oppression. It was a union sought by the Scots and resisted by the English. The nationalists will want to tell a different story, but that's their job.

As to the history before 1700. Well, it's a story of more-or-less continuous war. The nationalists like to bang-on about Bannockburn (the Battle of) and how the actor Robert the Bruce played the hero and freedom fighter Mel Gibson, but there is a blindness to the many battles and wars fought by invading Scots, such as Battle of Flodden. It's just (er) welcome to Europe.

Even the Clearances were Scottish landowners throwing off the peasants. These were not English landowners.

REgards

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Yes, but Wee Alex is hoping that people don't actually factcheck him for consistency!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

Yes, but Wee Alex is hoping that people don't actually factcheck him for consistency!

I wonder if he's going after the £ because Westminster are saying we can't. Reverse psychology and all that.

Personally I think we should ditch the £ and set up our own currency...

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Links??

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Er, not really. The Union of the Scottish and the English did not result in Scottish oppression. It was a union sought by the Scots and resisted by the English. The nationalists will want to tell a different story, but that's their job.

As to the history before 1700. Well, it's a story of more-or-less continuous war. The nationalists like to bang-on about Bannockburn (the Battle of) and how the actor Robert the Bruce played the hero and freedom fighter Mel Gibson, but there is a blindness to the many battles and wars fought by invading Scots, such as Battle of Flodden. It's just (er) welcome to Europe.

Even the Clearances were Scottish landowners throwing off the peasants. These were not English landowners.

REgards

The Union of the Scottish and the English did not result in Scottish oppression. It was a union sought by the Scots and resisted by the English.

To correct you, the Union was sought by Rich Land owners who lost their lot in the failed Darien Scheme and in order to get their wealth back thay cut a deal with William at the detriment of the Scottish people..FACT...the Scottish People didn't get a say on the matter whatsoever. Nowadays it would be a illegal act of union...Blackmail with the threats to starve the population...yeah, seems like a fair deal to me. Pffft

and how the actor Robert the Bruce played the hero and freedom fighter Mel Gibson, but there is a blindness to the many battles and wars fought by invading Scots,

eh, Gibson Played the part of Wallace not De Bruce...Bruce played his own part in trampling the English into the ground with a vastly out numbered Army and balls the size of Melons.
If only Salmond dealt with Cameron's #2 The white haired Blinker the same way De Bruce dealt with Edwards #2 the big girls bottom Henry de Bohun, i'm sure we would have the independence debate well and truly wrapped up..

Our problem is not that we dont believe we cant go it alone...it's the media, and the nay sayers. They will destroy our dreams as is proven in this past year if you care to read any news papers or watch any news program...but we wont forget them...ever.

Bullet and the Bomb politics...Watch this space.

Please explain the bit about De Bruce being a Actor.??
edit on 12-8-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Our problem is not that we dont believe we cant go it alone...it's the media, and the nay sayers. They will destroy our dreams as is proven in this past year if you care to read any news papers or watch any news program...but we wont forget them...ever.

Ah, blaming everyone else already. The fact is that even with the Scottish Government's questionable use of public funds to push their particular nationalistic agenda, the majority of people living in Scotland - according to opinion polls - will vote "no" - at least at the moment.

Please explain the bit about De Bruce being a Actor.??

On the history, we all know the Scottish hero Mel Gibson (the Jew hater) was played by that fine actor Robert Bruce in the Hollywood smash Braveheart, oft cited by nationalists and Americans as fact, but ridiculed by historians - and anyone with a history book to hand - as pap.

Regards

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   
You talk pish. as way say up here...Away and Biel yer heid man.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Hmm, that sounds rather sinister, what exactly do you mean?
I hope you are not implying thoughts of expected violence after a democratic No vote by the Scottish people?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Hmm, that sounds rather sinister, what exactly do you mean?
I hope you are not implying thoughts of expected violence after a democratic No vote by the Scottish people?

Just my daily blow out... ;-)

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Just google the dates and the phrases and take your pick ....

I think there's more but I thought that would do for a start .....

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   

To correct you, the Union was sought by Rich Land owners who lost their lot in the failed Darien Scheme and in order to get their wealth back thay cut a deal with William at the detriment of the Scottish people..FACT...the Scottish People didn't get a say on the matter whatsoever. Nowadays it would be a illegal act of union...Blackmail with the threats to starve the population...yeah, seems like a fair deal to me. Pffft

To quote you "The Union was sought by Rich SCOTTISH Land owners?

Therefor it was the Scots who sold out their own people?

Incidentally historically wasn't the Roman wall built (on the orders of

Emperor Hadrain) as a defensive fortification in 'Roman' Britain to keep the

Celts and Picts out of Britain?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Incidentally historically wasn't the Roman wall built (on the orders of

Emperor Hadrain) as a defensive fortification in 'Roman' Britain to keep the

Celts and Picts out of Britain?

No, it was to keep the midges out....what's yer point.??

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Interestingly the midges seem to have been almost absent many years deducing from the memoirs of various travellers. Why now are they so, aaaaarrrrrgghhh? Will independence help?

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

Interestingly the midges seem to have been almost absent many years deducing from the memoirs of various travellers. Why now are they so, aaaaarrrrrgghhh? Will independence help?

Just back after 7 days in the west coast of Scotland...trust me, they must have just been hiding for a bit from said travellers..Last day there after a heavy rainfall and out they came, and boy did they attack.... Me and the Midge usually have a understanding...not this time. they were ferocious

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here’s a scary prospect:

The NHS being carved up by more and more private companies. Coke or other mega corporations taking our government to the cleaners because they don’t like how strict our laws are.

Sound far-fetched? A huge new trade deal is being negotiated right now between the US and the EU, that could make that scary prospect a reality. The deal’s called the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) - it's a fancy name for a sinister trade deal.

Under the deal, US healthcare companies trying to provide NHS services could sue our government for passing a law to put a stop to privatisation. Or big businesses could sue the government for raising the minimum wage - if it hurts their profits.

Business Minister Vince Cable’s department is in charge of TTIP in the UK. He’ll decide what we sign up to - he could make or break the deal. If he hears how important TTIP is to the public, he might do the right thing and fix or scrap TTIP.

Just another reason to Get the hell out of Dodge.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   

A couple of points....

Firstly,I am always confused by the uproar surrounding this supposed privatisation of the NHS - as long as it remains free at the point of use, what is the issue? Many European countries have this model and, if we're honest, their Health services are better than ours.

Secondly - the NHS in Scotland is a devolved issue, so is the responsibility of the Scottish Government. Any attempts to blame anything that happens in NHS Scotland on Westminster is entirely misleading and is just scaremongering.
edit on 12/8/14 by stumason because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason
The main objection is that it is ideologically driven rather than based on evidence of improved performance or cost savings. There are certainly areas of the NHS that could benefit from privatisation however this whole well is tainted by the old internal market bollocks.
As for being devolved this is only partially true as the purse strings are held by Westminster. Also constitutionally ultimate authority still rests in Westminster
can and have brought powers back to themselves when they desire. Power devolved is power retained and all that jazz. The only way devolution can really work if it is properly constitutionally protected.

posted on Aug, 13 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

Secondly - the NHS in Scotland is a devolved issue, so is the responsibility of the Scottish Government. Any attempts to blame anything that happens in NHS Scotland on Westminster is entirely misleading and is just scaremongering.

And if London decides to cut Scotland's Pocket money "Again" we will see how devolved the NHS in Scotland really is.
They are already talking about a £10 fee for each night spent in a Hospital bed.
The question is how long before we have to pay cash for our treatment.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join