It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

September 18th, Scotlands date with destiny...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
As the day draws nearer the arguments heat up, the language becomes more aggressive and tempers rise. The debate for Scottish independence was always going to be a passionate one, we all knew that. Am I alone in thinking that these arguments that are taking place on boards, groups and Facebook pages are going to spill over onto the streets on the fateful day?
The fact that one friend of mine is going home to London to post her vote in favour of independence tells me others think this way too. I'm wondering where it will end. What if we do take the lone road, will there be a militant Unionist minority who will become crusaders for reformation? Will there be a militant band of Nationalists take arms against Westminster and spill blood for freedom? Or will it come to pass with the grace and boredom of a general election?
We are a passionate people and the debate is as heated as they come, these people who are debating, getting into namecalling and put downs, especially on the posts of mutual friends, are likely to bump into one another at polling stations.

One thing I think I can safely say, an interesting road lies ahead x

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro
I see this thread evolving the same as every other Scottish independence thread - bitching and arguing from both sides based on emotion, speculation and very few facts.
Throw a few anti-English comments in, plus claims of whinging Scots, then cries of oppression and the usual Braveheart clip by a US national with Scottish heritage, and there you have it - a standard Scottish independence thread.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

So what if it does? This is apparently something that this ATS member cares about, and he/she has every right to initiate this discussion.

To the OP:

Being an ethnocentric American, I naturally didn't even know this was happening and so had to google more information. I think that it would be a shame if your day did come and go with the "boredom" of a general election, as you put it. I think that it's a sad thing when people aren't passionate about things that matter. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   

I think all England, Wales, Scotland and Ireland and all the little islands in and around the Uk should all band together and leave the EU!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning
Who said he or she did not have a right to share their opinions in the OP? You obviously just imagined that.
I myself simply shared my own opinion on how the thread might develop. Perhaps read the actual words I used next time.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Well speaking as an Englishman, I would love to see a Yes vote to independence. Not because I have anything against Scotland or want to see the back of them, or anything like that, but because local government makes much more sense and I don't see why Scotland should be ruled from Westminster.

However I am pretty sure that won't be the result. There is too much inertia and fear of the unknown. When it comes down to it I think the majority will stick with "the devil they know".
edit on 7-8-2014 by Rob48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   

I did read your words, although I am guilty of inserting what I imagined to be a snarky tone that accompanied them.

Apologies, I'm crabby today and jump to conclusions, often seeing bad attitudes when maybe they weren't actually there. It just came across as if you were immediately belittling the person's thread. The dangers of the written word and all.

Guess I'll have another cup of coffee.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Rob48
Speaking as Welshman living in England I would prefer a truly federal style government of the UK, with all current players included equally. That is unlikely to ever happen though so I just wish the Scots the best in whatever they choose, it is hardly likely to make any difference to life here on the SW coast.

I still won't accept Scottish notes for payment when I can't know if they are fake or not, and most folk I know here feel the same - again, it won't make much difference to us 'down here'

edit on 7-8-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
I see this thread evolving the same as every other Scottish independence thread - bitching and arguing from both sides based on emotion, speculation and very few facts.
Throw a few anti-English comments in, plus claims of whinging Scots, then cries of oppression and the usual Braveheart clip by a US national with Scottish heritage, and there you have it - a standard Scottish independence thread.

Why do the British have such a colossal inferiority complex? The thread has barely started and you are already complaining of foul play.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

We discussed this at the knit and natter group today. A lady with Scottish parents said her father campaigned for independence all his life.

I'm told YES is the way to go by those who know better than me. I just think it's all part of a very long drawn out plot with the arranged climax to the Battle of Dunbar a key part. Cromwell's army didn't win a victory, Scottish victory was thrown away by supposedly religious manipulators. They're manipulating you still.

Scotland is a chosen refuge for the elite in the coming world crisis. Who owns Scotland? www.whoownsscotland.org.uk... Don't be fooled into thinking a YES vote means free mobile phones and all troops withdrawn from foreign wars. You'll have your work cut out keeping control of your new independent home. The elite want it all. They'll get you used to seeing cops with Glocks outside Mcdonald's then fake cops wearing the same uniforms will herd you into McFEMA camps. If you have too much innocent trust.

Don't trust any of this. Not the fake news of sudden oil discoveries that have actually been known about for decades nor any of the other manipulative rumours being spread about.

Keep UTG free from Ian Woods concrete nastiness and you're on the right track.

edit on 7 8 2014 by Kester because: remove word

edit on 7 8 2014 by Kester because: alteration

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: MojaveBurning
Hey no worries, it's an emotive topic.
In reference to the OP though, I do worry for the average folks who may get caught up in violence/anger/whatever from the more militant sections of Scottish society after the vote. Unbelievably they still have religious sectarian violence attached to Scottish football clubs, and other folk who march and protest about stuff from hundreds of years ago.
If independence helps the Scots move forward and get over decisions of the past then I'll be pleased for them, but I am not confident that it will settle their internal divisions.
At least nobody will be able to blame England for it then.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: VashKonnor

Hey! That's not fair!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Who's complaining? You obviously imagine that.
It was a 'prediction' based on every other Scottish independence thread.
Again read the words more carefully before crying 'complaining' - Oh and one man (me) does not represent Brits in general, that is something you have also imagined.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Don't trust any of this. Not the fake news of sudden oil discoveries that have actually been known about for decades nor any of the other manipulative rumours being spread about.

So what is this about?

(Honest question. I actually don't know that much about Scotland.)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
a reply to: PhoenixFreeman

May a thousand stars be upon you.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Honestly, I hope they do leave and its nothing to do with emotional reaction etc. I've been thinking about this for a long time and i've gotten to the point that I really just want them to go. In fact if they have their vote and decide to stay then surely we (that's the rest of the Union) should be allowed to vote whether they stay or not.

Its stupid for any country that has been part of a successful union and have no plan on how to carry on without us. They wanna keep our OUR currency because they think its their right, but if they have a currency union they have no rights to tax rates, yet they dont have a back up in case, although I personally think they will go to the EU and become a new country in the EU and just use the Euro, and that's the plan for the Scottish government and they should say that rather than dance around the question.

Its a simply fact that with a union we were better off and at the start I did hope they stayed but with all the bellyaching that I've seen from certain but not all Scottish people i've reached the point of saying GO. JUST GO AND PLEASE WHEN IF (WILL) GO WRONG DO NOT COME RUNNING BACK AND ASKING TO REJOIN THE UNION.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester
I agree.
And who knows, if the Scots vote to remain in union with the rest of us it could open up a real debate about the possibility of a fairer federal union which we can all be happier with.
Certainly if they vote to stay and serious 'devo-max' discussions begin, then it will be difficult to argue against an English parliament which makes decisions without any influence from Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MP's over solely English affairs.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Who's complaining?

You are.

It was a 'prediction' based on every other Scottish independence thread.

Then why don't you let this one start out by being different instead of pooping what happened in other threads onto this one?

Again read the words more carefully before crying 'complaining' - Oh and one man (me) does not represent Brits in general, that is something you have also imagined.

I think you need to step down the pedestal, mate.

Your post is actually immediately following the OP, nobody had posted but you, and you were already dismissing this thread saying how it will play out.

How the hell am I the done "imagining" things? Get real, dude.

There are people in here who want to discuss and learn about this subject. Go piss on someone's else bonfire.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
My my, aren't you the emotional one, you will note that I have made some articulate and very much on-topic and reasoned contributions to this thread since my first post. It is a topic which interests me.
There is no 'pissing on bonfires' coming from me, but you can imagine whatever you wish.
I also note that I am the only one who has starred the OP in this thread.

Perhaps you should have a nice cup of tea and calm down. Angry emotions are never healthy for us.

*Edit*
...and I've just given the first flag to the OP, I hope that now assists with the distress you appear to be suffering regarding my earlier post.

edit on 7-8-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Danny85

although I personally think they will go to the EU and become a new country in the EU and just use the Euro, and that's the plan for the Scottish government and they should say that rather than dance around the question.

I think they would be rather stupid if they did. The UK has had nothing but gains and profit from abstaining the Euro-currency-train.

As a matter of fact, it's well known within the financial world that the UK keeps gaining money from the EU exchanges.

The UK gives 100 pounds to the EU Central Bank. By the end of the money cycle, the UK ends up receiving 145 pounds. There no magical process in this, it's just 100 pounds going out, converted to euros, and then brought back in.

It's like children are ruling the banking system...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join