It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meet The Ghost of Chloe at the Myrtles Plantation B&B

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Did a search showing 2012 to be the last time this was discussed. So, for those new members that may not know...
Meet the ghost of Chloe at the Myrtles Plantation B&B.

The Myrtles Plantation is the classic Southern mansion, offering many sinister ghost stories, and a legendary history. Myrtles is home to over 12 different ghosts, though none quite as famous as Chloe, a slave whose story made her famous in one of the most unforgettable ghost photos of all time.

roadtrippers.com...

According to the legend, Mr. Woodroff had a promiscuous streak and began an affair with a house servant, a girl named Chloe. Chloe knew that if she didn't give in to Woodroof's demands she would end up working in the fields, so she surrendered and the affair began behind Sara's back.

Eventually Woodruff grew tired of Chloe, and because of her fear of being removed from the house she began eavesdropping on the family's personal affairs. Chloe was of course caught, and in payment for the offense had one of her ears cut off. Afterwards she was only ever spotted wearing a green turban that hid the horrible scar Woodruff left behind.

Story goes, Chloe began slowly poisoning Clark Woodruff's wife Sara and her children, either so she could nurse them back to heath and gain herself a place in the house, or purely for revenge.

Chloe baked a cake for the oldest daughter on her brithday with a handful of very poisonous oleander flowers. Both daughters, and Sara, had a slice of cake and died soon after. Apparently, Clark Woodruff had no cake, so he lived.

The other slaves were afraid they would be blamed for the deaths of the Woodruff's, so they dragged Chloe into the court yard and hanged her from a huge tree out front. Then they weighted down her body with rocks and tossed her into a nearby river.

Since her death, Chloe has been spotted more times than can be counted, though one of her most famous run-in's was captured on film. In the famous black and white image taken by a former homeowner, some say you can see the shape of Chloe hiding almost out of sight around the side of the house so as not to be caught. She is often seen at night, wandering the grounds in her green turban, surrounded by the cries of little children. Guests report being awoken in the middle of the night to see Chloe staring at them from the side of the bed.

Chloe is not the only ghost reported to to haunt the house/area:

Others spooks include William Drew Winder, an attorney who was shot in 1871 and died on the 17th step as he attempted to climb the stairs. There's also a famous mirror inside the plantation that's rumored to hold the spirits of Sara and her two murdered children. Often times people will see them reflecting back, or will find handprints on the glass when no one's around to leave them.

America's most haunted plantation house is a bed and breakfast today, for those brave souls who wish to stay there overnight.
If you don't like that idea, you can always take one of Myrtles Plantation's many guided tours that take guests on an exploration through the grounds and house. Just… think twice about eating the cake.

Have you visited any plantations, prisons, or a well-known establishments that is famous for it's ghostly hauntings?

Here is a guide of more paranormal "hangouts" that this site has assembled for us. Anyone visited any of these? Got a story?
roadtrippers.com...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Cool story.
I was just looking at 'roadtrippers' last week. There was a story about this doctor that had a window installed in the headstone directly over his grave so that he could be seen if he had been buried prematurely and got out of his coffin.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sled735

Cool story. Thanks for sharing it.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I'd like to see that top picture zoomed in. Anyway, I live in Gettysburg and have visited many of the '"haunted" places here. Never seen anything strange myself although I've heard stories. I've eaten at the Cashtown Inn, which is reputed to be haunted. I suspect that they use that as a draw since the waitress was sure to tell us all about the ghosts that have been seen there. I don't mean to sound like a skeptic, I grew up in a terribly haunted house and throughout my teenage years was horribly tormented by unseen things.

Oh, and nice thread! I've read about this before on here but this is the kind of thread that keeps me coming back.
edit on 8/7/2014 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: wtbengineer

Here is a zoomed pic...

Tragic story and interesting picture. In the zoom, it is hard to tell if it isn't just pareidolia. Maybe some vegetation? Or maybe a real person? It's too grainy to tell anything for sure, but it is spooky given the stories around the place.

Thanks for posting!!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: VegHead

Being as I can see through the figure, I doubt it is a plant, or anything else.

Thanks for the blowup.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

Thanks for the blowup.

my thoughts exactly! Nice picture Sled! Good stuff. S&F

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: sled735

Thanks for the blowup.

LOL! I didn't even notice how those lines from the siding go right through the figure. Well, I'm not too observant.

Thanks for pointing that out - makes the picture that much more spooky and intriguing!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
My mom took me to the Myrtles Plantation about 10 or 15 years ago, when I was in college.

We did the guided tour, and let me tell you, this place is so beautiful that it's hard to imagine all of these horrible deaths and things actually happened there. We were taken all throughout the house proper, then we walked the grounds for about an hour. We even walked way down behind the house which was where our guide had told us the "hanging tree" was located.

But our visit didn't get interesting until we were standing on the porch of the house, getting ready to leave. She and I were standing there talking about the place and how gorgeous it is when a rocking chair on the porch (there were several scattered up and down the porch in true southern style) started rocking all by itself. There was no wind - not even a breeze - that could have made the chair rock.

I don't know what it was or if it was even something paranormal at all, but it scared the crap out of us both and we immediately high-tailed it back to the truck and left!

Just my experience...

ETA: If you look at the photo in the OP, we were standing on the front left corner of the big porch, meaning the porch on the part of the house in the right half of the photo. Where we were standing is just outside of the scope of the photo, on the right-hand side.
edit on 7-8-2014 by DustbowlDebutante because: added

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: DustbowlDebutante

Wow! Freaky!

Here is how the house looks today. Gives one a better idea of where you were.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Thanks for that! I agree, hard to tell for sure, but it is a very interesting picture! Seeing the siding continuing on through makes it definitely not a solid person there, but what then?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Wow...my one and only ghostly encounter was at Myrtles and I just mentioned it to someone this morning....

Too much synchronicity.
Spooky...

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
Wow...my one and only ghostly encounter was at Myrtles and I just mentioned it to someone this morning....

Too much synchronicity.
Spooky...

Things like that (synchronicity) happen to me all the time. It never stops amazing me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Yes!!! That is how it looked when we were there. In this photo, we would have been standing on the front left corner of the porch, kinda right where the brown colored rain gutter thingie is at. And the truck was parked on this side of the white fence in the foreground. In fact, I would imagine this photo may have been taken from a vehicle, as that's where the parking area is located. You can barely see them, but there are 3 rocking chairs in front of the windows on the left side of the porch, between the front stairs and the actual corner of the porch. They were spread out a bit more and the one closest to the corner was the one that started moving.

We both had goosebumps right before the chair started rocking. Then, the goosebumps turned to panic when the chair moved.

I just got back from having lunch with mom, and I told her about this thread and we were discussing what happened that day. While talking about it, we both got goosebumps again! Lol.

But I highly recommend this as a beautiful place to visit. Even if you don't have a paranormal experience, the history of this place is fascinating! Take the tour, I promise you won't be sorry!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Please tell us about your encounter, too! I would be very interested in hearing it

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Basically, years ago in college, I was with friends taking a tour and during the tour we were cracking on the whole thing, the stories, etc, making fun of it. Afterwards, we were walking around the property still joking and goofing around when a very oppressive feeling washed over each of us, we all grew quiet and the temperature dropped suddenly, so much so that you could faintly see your breath but it was the middle of summer. We got the heck out of there.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Wow...that's scary...

You say you were walking around on the grounds...did you happen to be out behind the house?

When we walked around back there we did notice that it was eerily quiet back there, like too quiet. It had an uneasy feeling, but we didn't experience anything like the temperature drop!

Thank you for sharing with us!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

The pond/gazebo area.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack

The pond/gazebo area.

Yep. All back there it seemed so quiet and removed... Our guide had indicated that the tree that they had used for hanging people was located in a clearing back beyond that area, too.

We had seen The Myrtles on some show on the History Channel - Haunted History or Haunted America or some such program - so I pestered that poor guide for every bit of information I could get on the paranormal aspects of the place. She was probably glad to see me go!

ETA: I sure do wish I had the courage to rent a room and stay the night there!
edit on 7-8-2014 by DustbowlDebutante because: added stuff

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Did you ask the guide if any of the experiences people have are ever malevolent? If there are no bad/evil spirits, then you shouldn't have any worries to stay the night. Ghosts are just like us, without the body.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join