It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transforming light into solid matter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Not much to explain here. I've been working on formulating a theory and a mathematical equation to show the equivalency and, thus the fulcrum by which light can be directly transformed into solid matter through utilizing applied technology.

The equation must have two generally defined variable notations. Matter and Light.

Obviously the equation must harbor within it the fact that M=C and C=M, but not limited to those two variables. (Where M is solid material and C is light.)

I presume, through metaphor, that the technological process would be similar to harnessing solar power, but instead taking it one step further and converting it directly into solid matter, through whatever system(s), instead of only into an electrical current.

Any ideas?!
edit on 7-8-2014 by PansophicalSynthesis because: Fixed the letters used for variables and a typing error for grammar.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
a reply to: PansophicalSynthesis

Use the search. Has been discussed before.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Just a quick one: You would need a megasize photovoltaic system to create matter in more than nanoscopic volumes.

You know it, we know it, it is the most famous formula of the world and it says all we need to know about transmutatic light to matter and vice versa: E=m*c².
The crux lies in the c².. That is a very large number. Equal to a very large sum of energy if the mass is larger than some atoms..

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

I was thinking of instead of going mega, rather miniaturize. Focus and magnify a beam of light into a small area and much more energy can be harnessed.

I understand e=M*c^. Not necessarily what I'm working on. There is much more between that should directly define the entire process, not just the amount of energy required.

I did receive and read your reply, mod. I'm still searching for the search mechanism. I haven't found it within or underneath any vectors. I'll search on, I'm sure I can figure it out, just need more time.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Honestly use Google and put the topic and abovetopsecret in the search. Much more effective for me.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: EA006

Use the search. Has been discussed before.

Holy crap dude, EVERYTHING has been discussed here before, does that mean no more threads?

I havent seen this before and its interesting, please carry on op

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
Zap a couple of gamma rays in the same point in space-time continuum and you'll get yourself an electron and positron. A proton is a thousand times as massive as an electron, so you would need thousands of gamma rays to make up a proton. That would be easily done using a gamma ray laser. Then you would get hydrogen gas from those particles. Apply a strong magnetic field as well, and you would have ion propulsion as well.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

What makes everybody so sure that matter can be created. Perhaps matter is a universal constant. Perhaps matter is like some sort of natural resource that is spread across the universe in a limited amount. What’s already there is what there is and that is the total amount of mass there ever is going to be.

We can manipulate existing mass in lots of ways, but we cannot create new mass

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: helius

If you could transform matter into light, then the conservation of energy would be applied.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: helius

What makes everybody so sure that matter can be created. Perhaps matter is a universal constant. Perhaps matter is like some sort of natural resource that is spread across the universe in a limited amount. What’s already there is what there is and that is the total amount of mass there ever is going to be.

We can manipulate existing mass in lots of ways, but we cannot create new mass

No it almost certainly possible. Just cost prohibitive.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:00 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk

Right on then. For your interest.

What I was imagining as of now, and it is not limited to this process, is harnessing and storing an immense amount of energy through absorbing light. A greater amount of energy can be harnessed through magnifying and focusing a beam of light into a smaller area. Obviously this increases the heat energy. Every held a magnifying glass over an object? Magnifies, intensifies and focuses the light into a concentrated beam. This equates to more energy.

Both a process of magnification through optics and mirrors can be applied. The most efficient method and the most efficient materials for producing this effect would be optimal and ideal. The energy from this beam of light can be captured and harnessed in an energy receptor, either of existing technology, new prototypes, or completely new altogether.

This energy can be transformed into electricity. This follows similar steps of modern day solar power panels, though they are very inefficient and lack the entire idea of magnification and focus for increased energy reception and thus production/output.

From here, the electricity, now in the form of electrons, would need free nuclei to bond with, in which to create an atom. Multiple atoms can create a molecule, and large enough molecules, in the proper form, will create solid matter.

I have the idea figured out, what I need to work on is the technology to make it possible.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Have you checked out the best storage medium for the concentrated light?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Interesting, Occam. Thanks for providing the link. It was a good read. That's the first time I've heard of such an experiment. It does not explain my theory, nor did it quench my thirst for the technology that I seek to devise.

To put it into clearer terms, what I seek to create is a sort of 3d printer powered by light, and mostly or only requiring light as an energy source. Transforming light into solid matter, such as creating a block of iron.

The experiment mentioned in the link describes photon=photon collisions, and electron-photon collisions. Apparently this was only creating positrons and electrons. I'm talking about creating an entire atom. Nucleus, electron(s), proton, neutron, positron, negatron. Having complete control over the process so that a desired material can be predetermined to be created.
edit on 7-8-2014 by PansophicalSynthesis because: Spelling edits and added some content

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

How would you know that it is iron that comes out and not some piece of wood or a stone. How does one control light so that it produces the matter you intended it to produce.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
a reply to: helius

Well, first off you'd need to attain free nuclei. What I mean by "free nuclei" is that you'd need nuclei that under one of the following conditions: 1.) that have no electrons (an existing neutron of an atom stripped of its electrons). 2.) that already possess the proper amount of electrons, so that they may be manipulated into the desired state of valency through introducing free electrons, then combined in order to form the predetermined molecule. 3.) somehow finding a way to create nuclei from scratch through using the energy gathered by the solar-light.

Once these atomic and sub-atomic configurations, modifications, manipulations, conditions and transmogrifications are all figured out and understood, then it must be programmed into technologically controlled machinery that can carry out the micro, sub-atomic controlled process of conversion from energy provided by light, turned into electricity/electrons, and ultimately transmutated into solid matter.

I believe that covers the general gist of things.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Er... c in that famous equation is not 'light', it's the speed of light.

Turning light into matter involves shooting photons at each other and hoping the collision will result in an electron-positron pair (the opposite of a matter-antimatter reaction, in other words). This process obviously obeys E = mc^2, but only in that the sum of the rest masses of the pair must be less than the energy of the colliding photons.

To create an electron-positron pair the total energy of the photons must be at least 2m⌵ec⌃2

More here: Matter Creation

edit on 7/8/14 by Astyanax because: ba-ba wa-wa

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

I understand that e is energy, m is mass and c is the speed of light. I was just making up a hypothetical equation and using my own modified variable notations.

Also, I'm thinking beyond the creation of subatomic matter creation through colliding photons. I'm imagining manipulating the valency of nuclei through the electricity attained by means of solar-power.

I'm more interested in atomic and sub-atomic manipulation, rather than trying to randomly throw two photons at each other and hoping something pops out. Obviously we can generate electrons from solar energy, from there if we can manipulate the ionization and valency of nuclei, then we can create the desired matter.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

I'm imagining manipulating the valency of nuclei through the electricity attained by means of solar-power.

Oh, I see. Good luck with your research.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
d00d scientists have done it already. They managed to convert photons into electrons... aka.. matter...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join