It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Depression Support Network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Maybe this is corny, but i thought it would be a good idea, to have a thread, where a person can go to get some love and support. I mean, where do you go, when you get depressed? Who do you talk to? What do you do? Life can be a lonely place, but having a little support, sure does make the pain easier to deal with. Who knows? A gentle word of encouragement could save someone's life.

Here's some facts, regarding depression:

Depressive disorders affect approximately 18.8 million American adults or about 9.5% of the U.S. population age 18 and older in a given year. This includes major depressive disorder, dysthymic disorder, and bipolar disorder.

Everyone, will at some time in their life be affected by depression -- their own or someone else's, according to Australian Government statistics. (Depression statistics in Australia are comparable to those of the US and UK.)

Pre-schoolers are the fastest-growing market for antidepressants. At least four percent of preschoolers -- over a million -- are clinically depressed.

The rate of increase of depression among children is an astounding 23% p.a.

Standard antipressants, SSRIs such as Prozac, Paxil (Aropax) and Zoloft, have recently been revealed to have serious risks, and are linked to suicide, violence, psychosis, abnormal bleeding and brain tumors.

Good relationships: studies show that relationships with partners, carers, teachers, co-workers and a supportive social network results in physical and emotional healing, happiness and life satisfaction, and prevents isolation and loneliness, major factors in depressive illness.
All the doom and gloom going around is enough to depress the entire world, for generations to come. At least, now, you have somewhere to speak your beef! Keeping what hurts, inside, only hurts more and more. The pain never goes away, until you release it. Sometimes, expressing yourself helps. So, LET IT OUT!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:00 AM
link   
So wheres the link Id never put my problems out there. Some on ATS can be evil.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   
The members and staff on here are absolutely amazing when it comes to listening and helping each other in trying circumstances. If you ever find yourself in need of support... just ask for it. I have done it a time or two and many others have as well. It would surprise you to find out just how many people here care about their fellow members. Seriously. I have been pleasantly surprised myself.

A lot of trolling may take place around here at times, but I have never witnessed someone being super evil in threads that deal with personal issues. That says a lot about the members here. I have had people I have never agreed with on any issue offer me unwavering support in very recent dark days of my own. I received PM's from those same members checking on me, making sure I had someone to talk to, and just offering a "thinking of you" sentiment.

There's no need for an entire forum for this type of thing. The members will rally in any forum to help, support, and comfort another who asks.

All you have to do is ask.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
When I first read the OP, my response was, "Yeah! Good idea!"

Then I suddenly remembered times on other boards when I was in need of some support, and feeling down, and despite all the wonderful people offering to listen and help, there were a few that jumped on me like jackals smelling blood.

There are always a few with such powerless pitiful lives that they can't resist a person in a state of vulnerability as an opportunity to harrass. Or maybe some thought it would stimulate a fighting attitude in me and reverse my state from depression to active anger and that would help me?

I don't know, but the ensuing drama, as I fell down worse, and others went into aggressive protector mode, was not worth it.

Maybe we could just let the board know if we are someone willing to recieve messages and be a supportive ear for anyone in need;
I'd welcome any such calls with a warm cyber hug.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I have to strongly disagree. I have desperately reached out for help here in the last several months. I have had a few people be kind, a couple, offer for me to PM them if I needed to talk, but most have been cruel. I came here crying out from help the night i attempted suicide after my kids were killed. One person in that thread noticed what I was planning to do, and their response was something along the lines of "Don't be like that." Well, guess what my kids are effing dead, and I don't want to go on without them.

I have cried out in many a thread. My husband is my only support, but it is often to much for him.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: calstorm
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I have to strongly disagree. I have desperately reached out for help here in the last several months. I have had a few people be kind, a couple, offer for me to PM them if I needed to talk, but most have been cruel. I came here crying out from help the night i attempted suicide after my kids were killed. One person in that thread noticed what I was planning to do, and their response was something along the lines of "Don't be like that." Well, guess what my kids are effing dead, and I don't want to go on without them.

I have cried out in many a thread. My husband is my only support, but it is often to much for him.

I had not seen that and if I had, I would certainly have stood up for you 100%. I have seen bullies on here (generally not in those type of threads) and I can not continue on without saying anything when I do see it. I have lost a child and know the immense pain that comes with it. It's a pain that never goes away and anyone who was unkind during that time needed a seriously large boot put in their ass by any means necessary.

I am sorry for your loss, but know how empty that sounds when I say it. I can say that I know what you were/are going through to a certain extent. Losing two children, I can not even fathom.

I am sorry that people acted like that towards you. I should have assumed there are some in every bunch. The last thing you needed was that kind of treatment. I genuinely offer my inbox and my ear to you any time you may need it. I know the depth of hurt and I know the roller coaster of emotions that last for years upon years, upon years. I can not make it better, but I can listen and let you know that no matter how alone you feel... You are not.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
releasing the pain helps...for me i am a musician so i write songs to get it out....i had a bad dose of hell a couple of years ago and lost everything i owned,not that i care so much about the material world but i also lost both of my kids...i now have my boy full time and see my daughter in the holidays....it was massive release writing songs about my hell and thankfully now im on the up and up

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I think this is a good idea but I also would be wary of being slammed when I'm already down. Maybe pm offers once members know you need help (save details for pm's) are the way to go?

calstorm.. I'm so sorry.. I don't even know what to say. I hope that you can find solace and strength to go keep going on somehow. I cannot imagine what you and your husband are going through..Please try to take care of yourself .

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I am off to a doctor's appointment so will leave you with this for now.

I do not want one single person to hesitate to come in here and share their problems. Life isn't always lollipops and rainbows and sometimes we need to reach out to each other. HUGS!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I've opened up on ATS before and had very good responses overall. There are those occasional folks who will say something inane like "Put on your big girl panties," but they simply don't understand how severe depression effects a person. Those comments I ignore to the best of my ability.

Reaching out to others is a helpful thing to do. For myself, I've lived with my issues for over twenty years now. I've learned what helps me during particularly bad times, and what makes things worse. There are others here who struggle with the same issues and are willing to share what helps them. Reaching out for advice and camaraderie can be a very good thing.

My door is always open, if someone should need it. PMs are perfect ways to talk without having an audience.

Calstorm, I'm so sorry for your loss. I won't pretend to understand how you feel, as I've never suffered such a devastating loss. But I do know how it feels to want to die. To be in so much pain and despair that death truly seems the preferable route. I'm sending you a pm.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I found this online a few months ago, and it is so true.

" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Thank you all so much. I am amazed by the support I have received this time. I feel bad for derailing the OP's thread.

Smlyeegrl. I couldn't think of a more appropriate photo. It really is true. I am not fully awake, yet as couldn't sleep to save my life last night, I have so much more to say once i am.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
The members and staff on here are absolutely amazing when it comes to listening and helping each other in trying circumstances. If you ever find yourself in need of support... just ask for it. I have done it a time or two and many others have as well. It would surprise you to find out just how many people here care about their fellow members. Seriously. I have been pleasantly surprised myself.

A lot of trolling may take place around here at times, but I have never witnessed someone being super evil in threads that deal with personal issues. That says a lot about the members here. I have had people I have never agreed with on any issue offer me unwavering support in very recent dark days of my own. I received PM's from those same members checking on me, making sure I had someone to talk to, and just offering a "thinking of you" sentiment.

There's no need for an entire forum for this type of thing. The members will rally in any forum to help, support, and comfort another who asks.

All you have to do is ask.

^^^

There's a certain Beauty to The Community.

However....
thread closed ... just too much potential liability in allowing 'free' online medical advice [depression being a medical issue]

new topics

top topics

active topics

join