It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wind Reactive Ink - Purple Passion For Pollution?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
What happens when you combine new technology with fashion??

Watch a snippet of it here:
vimeo.com...

The air is made up of many different components that are products of our environment, including pollution, moisture, and more. London-based artist Lauren Bowker and her material exploration studio THE UNSEEN have developed a form of ink that’s reactive to the different fluctuations in the wind as well as our own body. It’s demonstrated in a couture capsule collection entitled Air, which was designed for Swarovski and presented during London’s Fashion Week 2014.

That is pretty wild to me. Granted... I am no scientist so I don't know how hard it would be to do this. Since I haven't really seen it done before, I imagine that it isn't that easy to do. Regardless of that, the technology is stunning to see.

The biological and chemical technology is integrated into layers of fabric and transforms its color in response to pressure change. Air’s nano compounds, inks, and dyes are capable of sensing up to seven stimuli: heat, UV, pollution, moisture, chemicals, friction, and sound. Each element has a different color-altering effect; pollution, for instance, can change between yellow to black. The result is that it translates our environment into a stunning visual representation, where a multi-faceted garment is reminiscent of an insect’s iridescent exoskeleton.

Again, my mind is blown. If this ink can detect air pollution, UV rays, friction, and sound just imagine what we can use it for other than seeing it walk down a fashion runway. Maybe the technology can be made to pick up on specific chemicals in the air and soldiers (or civilians for that matter) could have strips of it sewn on their sleeve so they have a built in indicator if they suspected dirty bombs or something akin to that (they may not always have that equipment for testing in their back pockets). It could be used in swimsuits so people have an indicator of when the UV rays are too strong. The list of possibilities is almost endless IMO.

You can see a video of the changes this ink makes in real time here...
vimeo.com...

You can read more here...
www.mymodernmet.com...

I kind of want one. Maybe a little different style though.

edit on 8/6/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   
That is pretty cool. I have to admit that one of the first things that occurred to my juvenile mind is that if the seat of someones britches changes color, you may want to step upwind.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
That is pretty cool. I have to admit that one of the first things that occurred to my juvenile mind is that if the seat of someones britches changes color, you may want to step upwind.

That or keep nuzzling their neck.... *cough*....

Heat spreads... as does moisture.

edit on 8/7/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

I like the way you think.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

I like the way you think.

Someone, somewhere, some day had to I suppose.

top topics

join