It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strapped for cash, man builds enchanting cob home

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
a reply to: Starcrossd

I know, eh? My ears really perked up when he said the phrase 'maintenance-free'. Do you have a bit of land to begin building yours?

Just a small patch, but, yeah. Outside city limits too. I'm just not positive I want to stay here though so, hesitating-lol.
He did a lovely job. I love that he estimated much of it! Too cool.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Yes these are very cool. I will hopefully be doing something like this in the near future. Johndeer2020 if you are patient look for tax sales of property in your local newspaper or court house ect. You can find great deals for sale

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: switchqm8
Hey switchqm- that's awesome! If you get to do it please make an ongoing thread.
If you happen to be near I would come to help for the experience

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

I seen the video... but I don't recall a crapper or shower in his +800 SQ Ft place
I did hear him say there were no permits or building codes required...

just a hobby project huh

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

There's a quick looksee into the washroom at 10:19 while he's talking about the granite. 'Le crappeur' has its own separate space, looks like.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
This is beautiful, but now that's it's known about they are going to condemn it for not adhering to building code. Which is sad.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's guys like this that remind me how awsome humans can be when we want to be. An absolute legend and an inspiration for us all.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: GreyGoo

Absolutely. How courageous an undertaking. It's obviously become a labour of love and I have the feeling that each little bit of progress is what motivates him on to do the next step. My landlord is somewhat like him. Nothing forces him to come here every day, yet he does and he has slowly been transforming the place.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

Love it - charming and delightful. Thanks for the vid.

F&S&

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I love that house, I could move in right now!
So unique. Very charming and cozy. Love the little windows.
I don't like the new homes of today. There's no character in them.

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

edit on 8-8-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockn82
This is beautiful, but now that's it's known about they are going to condemn it for not adhering to building code. Which is sad.

I wondered that myself. Which would be sad.

Don't let that idiot mike Holmes see it!!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
At the 2:40ish mark he mentions he was able to do this before they had building codes and permits. I think this would be hard to do today with government regulations.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I friggin love this kind of stuff! Gives me so many ideas and i love how people can turn their vision into functional works of art. a reply to: glend

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: GreyGoo
It's guys like this that remind me how awsome humans can be when we want to be. An absolute legend and an inspiration for us all.

THIS^^^^

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
At the 2:40ish mark he mentions he was able to do this before they had building codes and permits. I think this would be hard to do today with government regulations.

whether or not you would be able accomplish this now likely depends on what state you live in and what the local zoning ordinances are. I know that where I live if you build something that is under X amount of sq. ft. and costs under X amount of dollars, you can still pull it off without having to worry about permits or zoning ordinances. its definitely worth looking into and with the loft space, the 832 square foot home was actually pretty livable and cozy.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
in nc a few years ago they had a lot of people buying these little 700 to 750 square foot sheds then wiring them up and installing plumbing and moving them into trailer parks by the beach the wiring was designed to plug into a 110 outle to power the place so alot of them started jacking inmto neighbors for power several fires happened because of it.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: CRUSTY37

Good to hear
Homes inspired by nature (organic architecture), with a zen like quality, are very appealing, but if I were to build a similar home I'd also use some space saving idea's from following video, especially the bathroom, to add function to form. Think larger homes will one day go the way of the dinasoar, they're just too expensive to keep warm in winter.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: glend

Storage space and its organization is an important part of planning a space, no question about it. I designed a sliding wall for my last house, but could not find the hardware I needed.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join