It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strapped for cash, man builds enchanting cob home

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
What a great adventure he's been having! No matter what you may think of the house, you have to admire the sheer guts it required to undertake something like this. I absolutely love the unique results and the charm of the place. I just hope it isn't built on a flood plain and that somewhere on the lot he has an underground shelter.

From the video it seems like he has learned a whole lot along the way. I appreciate the fearlessness that it took to go through with the project as well as the care he put into the details, recycling stuff and taking his time. Imagine growing up on place like this. What's not to like?

Hope you enjoy the video.

edit on 6-8-2014 by aboutface because: typo

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Nice house .. he did a great job building it ..

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
What a beautiful construction. It is a work of art as much as a shelter.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
WOW! The architectural design that went into this is simply stunning! So unique and beautiful and charming and enchanting and...AMAZING! I would LOVE to have this house. Imagine a beautiful floral, herb and vegetable garden added and maybe a koi pond or water fountain in the yard. Oh...must have a pool! LOL

Thank you so much for sharing this inspiring vid!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Nice build but I prefer even smaller and cheaper homes, built from earth, like the ecodome designed by Nader Khalili.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Oh...must have a pool! LOL

The property appears to be right on Lake Austin. Who needs a pool?
It is quite an undertaking to dig a hole in that area. I used to live around there.
It took me nearly a month to dig a 600 gallon koi pond with a pick axe.
I really miss Austin. I'd like to get back. Lot's of cool, trippy characters, and beautiful terrain.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: glend

It is amazing how creative and resourceful people can be. Very interesting.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

I totally agree with you, except mine would have to have a greenhouse addition for a cooler climate. Definitely a pool, yep.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Impressive concept, isn't it? A little too cramped for my claustrophobic taste, but she seems quite happy with it and proud of it, so good for her!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
What a fantastic job!!! I love it. I've wanted a straw bale house forever, this has rekindled my dream! I like the cob idea, it sounds like it is fairly easy to work with. Time for some research!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Starcrossd

I know, eh? My ears really perked up when he said the phrase 'maintenance-free'. Do you have a bit of land to begin building yours?

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: Night Star
Oh...must have a pool! LOL

The property appears to be right on Lake Austin. Who needs a pool?
It is quite an undertaking to dig a hole in that area. I used to live around there.
It took me nearly a month to dig a 600 gallon koi pond with a pick axe.
I really miss Austin. I'd like to get back. Lot's of cool, trippy characters, and beautiful terrain.

Oh wow they have a lake too? Wonderful!

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:42 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface
Wow, really amazing house. Thanks for sharing.

I can't imagine how you can find the time to build something like that.

Wonder if he had help..

I guess no more sex with two boys in the house and bed out in the open..

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   

The eco-dome was designed for people that couldn't afford to buy their own homes and/or didn't want to be enslaved to debt, so its a great concept. People have built similar sized domes with materials which are less labor intensive and opened them up more with larger windows. The following home in Thailand cost $6000 for the shell, $9000 fully completed.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Now this one I could happily live in! It is totally cool in every aspect! So peaceful and relaxing shapes, and colors. I would have to bring in a pet or two, as I can see where kitties would enjoy the purrfect window spaces. Thanks so much for sharing this. It's totally past my bedtime, but I will return to view it again and again.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

sweet dreams

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:28 AM
link   
I absolutely love this house!!! I would live in it for sure. Human beings are amazing when they want to be.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Nice video, ingenuity at its finest. Tagging for future access.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Strapped for cash??? Or strapped for more cash???

I think the title of this thread is very misleading! I am strapped for cash, I'm also an engineer, and have made my tiny living space a stash of "garbage" recycled into very useful items...

But I don't think I could even afford 1/5th of the cost of the land that house is standing on!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join