It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pope Francis sounds too much like Obama to be honored by Congress, Republican says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Pope Francis sounds too much like Obama to be honored by Congress, Republican says

Wow. WOW. The GOP is going off the rails, this time saying Pope Francis sounds "too much like Obama," to be honored when he visits the US soon;

A bipartisan congressional resolution that would honor Pope Francis before his potential appearance in Philadelphia next year may not be acted upon because of Republican worries that the pontiff is perceived as being “too liberal,” The Hill reports.

House Resolution 440 aims to “congratulate Pope Francis on his election and recognize his inspirational statements and actions,” but according to one Republican backer of the legislation, the resolution is dead because Pope Francis is “sounding like Obama. [The pope] talks about equality — he actually used the term ‘trickle-down economics,’ which is politically charged.”

Republicans are upset because of comments the Pope made concerning the free market. Last November, for example, Francis published his Evangelii Gandium, in which he noted that “[a]s long as the problems of the poor are not radically resolved by rejecting the absolute autonomy of markets and financial speculation and by attacking the structural causes of inequality, no solution will be found for the world’s problems or, for that matter, to any problems.”

As an Protestant Irish-American I've never been a fan of Catholicism or popes, but Francis in my opinion is one of the most decent human beings to emerge on the world stage in a long time.

The Pope denounced "trickle-down" economics. Good for him. He stands up for the poor. Good for him. He wants to bring equality to people and health care. Good for him. Oh wait, that makes him sounds like Obama, oh noes!

Republican hate is off the rails these days.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
Stay classy GOP.

Pope Francis May Be 'Too Liberal' For House Republicans To Honor

The bill was bipartisan, until one faction in the GOP blocked it. I think most would have allowed some form of honor to be extended to him when he visits. But I guess we as a country prefer to revert to petty bickering instead.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: oxykerfluffle

That answers my question about the separation of Church and State.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

"The Pope denounced "trickle-down" economics. Good for him. He stands up for the poor. Good for him. He wants to bring equality to people and health care. Good for him. Oh wait, that makes him sounds like Obama, oh noes!"

Let me begin by saying that Pope Francis is absolutely dedicated to increasing the number of Catholics.
Nothing surpasses this goal.

If you were Pope, how would you increase the ranks of the faithful?

This is no less than brilliant marketing by a pontiff who finally gets it.

By the way, Catholic is about the last thing I would call myself.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

I staunchly believe in a separation of church and state. Perhaps you do too.

But surely you're not suggesting the GOP believes it - they have been pushing religion and religious issued into politics.

Although this isn't really a "church and state" issue, this is one over honoring a foreign dignitary, something we've done and still do quite often.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I'm not sure that it matters, but here is the resolution:

Whereas on March 13, 2013, Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires, Argentina was elected Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church;
Whereas his election marked the first time a Pope from the Americas has been selected;
Whereas he is the first Jesuit to become Supreme Pontiff of the Catholic Church;

Whereas he took the papal name of Francis, becoming the first pope to take the name of St. Francis of Assisi, who was known for his devotion to humility and the poor;
Whereas he has demonstrated his humility by choosing not to live in the lavish Apostolic Palace, living instead with the clergy and lay people in the Vatican guesthouse;

Whereas on March 28, 2013, he broke from tradition during the washing of feet, when he washed the feet of 12 criminals, including two women, becoming the first pope to include women in the rite;
Whereas on November 6, he displayed his charity by caressing a man with severe disfigurement, drawing comparisons to the actions of his namesake, St. Francis, whose kiss of a leper forever changed his life by solidifying his commitment to the poorest among us;

Whereas when asked to describe himself during an interview with a Jesuit magazine, he replied ``I am a sinner'';
Whereas his emphasis on humanitarian efforts to alleviate suffering serves as an inspiration to Congress and all Americans;

Whereas his humility, his commitment to economic justice and improving the lives of the poor, and his outreach to individuals from all walks of life have been universally praised and are living examples of Jesus Christ's message; and
Whereas his call to end inequality has echoed across the globe and brought millions together in solidarity:

Now, therefore, be it
Resolved, That the House of Representatives congratulates Pope
Francis on his election and recognizes his inspirational statements and
actions.

I couldn't understand why any Congressman would be reluctant to sign on to this, but after reading it I can see why. I'ts not intended to honor the Pope, it's intended to take part of his message and use it to push some Democrat issues. It's pretty much economic redistribution with a little feminism thrown in.

The Pope deserves honoring and respect, but he doesn't deserve to be used.

I wonder what would have happened had the resolution applauded Francis on his efforts to encourage one man - one woman marriage, his condemnation of abortion, the evil of euthanasia, etc?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   
I would say this is another GOP foot in the mouth moment. Com'on, both parties can say some stupid things, but these republicans are killing themselves! lol If you're a party that supports the Christian right and claim to be the party who supports religious rights, the last thing you want to do is attack the pope! Nothing like causing your party to lose more votes.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Nobody is attacking the Pope, the Republicans are attacking a resolution which appears to have a political slant.

But they should come up with a replacement resolution pretty quickly.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   
So the GOP has alienated minorities, women, the youth and now the Catholics....

I seriously doubt if there are enough old, white, protestant, Rush ditto heads, to mount a challenge to the dembs.

They brought all this negativity down on themselves and it's going to cost them dearly.

Politics is a game of perception not reality....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Why do you think the Catholics are alienated? Have you a poll? A statement from a Bishop or Cardinal? What percentage of Catholics do you think voted GOP in the last presidential election?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

Why do you think the Catholics are alienated?

If I was a Catholic and you dissed the Holy Father like the Republicans have, I would remember at election time.

Catholics tend to be dembs anyway ....

www.freerepublic.com...

Have you a poll?

You're so funny....
edit on 6-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Dear olaru12,

You're quite right that Catholics tend to vote Democrat.

But I don't see it as disrespect to the Pope. If anything I see it as respectfully trying to keep him separated from partisan politics. But next time I'm at Mass or a prayer breakfast, I'll ask a few friends.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: charles1952

Dear olaru12,

You're quite right that Catholics tend to vote Democrat.

But I don't see it as disrespect to the Pope. If anything I see it as respectfully trying to keep him separated from partisan politics. But next time I'm at Mass or a prayer breakfast, I'll ask a few friends.

With respect,
Charles1952

Let's be realistic shall we...

Politics and religion are joined at the hip and I think you know that! Separation of church and state is a myth. Ask a Baptist why don't ya.

kdhnews.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Dear olaru12,

Forgive me, but I'm not quite following you.

Politics and religion are joined at the hip and I think you know that!
I may know it, but I can't tell because I don't understand it.

The Church is very concerned with issues like Human Dignity, and they'll jump in and scream (or they should, but that's a different thread) about that, but they don't care about redistricting or things that don't cross into the area of God's law.

There's some overlap, but if they're joined at the hip, I don't understand why the Catholics vote in both directions, Democrat and Republican. It's complicated a little because Catholics are also citizens with the right to vote and they bring their own thoughts into the ballot box.

I heard it expressed this way once," The Church can determine whether an end is moral, the State determines how to achieve it."

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: charles1952

oh please...

It's not just Catholics. Do you not think the neocons with their Zionist leanings had and still have an inordinate amount of influence in government.

I take this with a grain of salt but I think it rings true.
www.veteranstoday.com...

Conspiricy?..........this is ATS you know

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Republican hate is off the rails these days.

It really is something to behold. Their behavior lately isn't at all about democracy or what's good for the country - it's full on opposition, even if it sets everyone back and actually causes damage

Well - pride goes before the fall I hear. Only problem is, if they fall it hurts everybody. This country needs a functional, cooperative government and we can't come close to that if the GOP is going to do nothing but pout for 8 years

They can't even be polite to a visiting dignitary? They've run out of ways to publicly slap Obama - so now they slap the Pope...

Meanwhile - I am seriously enjoying this Pinko Pope - he's an inconvenient breath of fresh air

:-)

edit on 8/7/2014 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
The Pope is a head of state too. Not only that but he represents 1 billion Catholics world wide. He is a world leader, as much as any nation, maybe more so since he represents the views of more people than most nations.

This is just a petty dig at Obama, the repugs have their hate blinders on and now extend it to Francis.

I'm neither religious nor Catholic, but I find Francis to be a real humanitarian. He is not afraid to take on the world order.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RancorXXX

I'm neither religious nor Catholic, but I find Francis to be a real humanitarian. He is not afraid to take on the world order.

Absolutely - credit where credit is due

I'm not religious - but I don't need to be to see honestly

At the risk of going all drama-queen - I'm thinking congress doesn't fully appreciate what it is they've just done

Even if they decide now to welcome the pope - what's done is done

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hate blinders is right.

Remember when the GOP honored the Dalai Lama, and even gave him Congressional Gold Medal?

Bush and Congress Honor Dalai Lama
Dalai Lama's All Smiles as He Receives Congressional Gold Medal

I like the Dalai Lama too, but he represent a very small number of Tibetans from exile. So why the GOP suddenly feels the pope should not be honored because as some claim "separation of church and state" when that was never an issue before.

It's just partisan and pathetic squabbling. Too bad the pope had to get caught up in it. I think the GOP would cut off its own nose to spite its face.

join