It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Today (RT.com) Is Russia's Propaganda Channel - "Truth is not the mission at RT"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm the last person to kiss anyones ass but RT sux.

gg so.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlordThanks for the information,presenting it in this manner made it easier for me to really understand.
Its a shame that so many citizens are being brainwashed but, its not just there its everywhere.
I will stick to the theory believe half of what you see and nothing of what you hear.
Truth would be awesome but by the time it hits, most will have too much poo in their eyes to see it!

+4 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
How many reporters who buck the line keep their jobs.

Then explain FoxNews, which is over-the-top anti-administration. If "the government" controls the news, why was FoxNews allowed to run rampant with the Benghazi story, which turned out to be way to much ado about nothing?

You can't be serious with this statement? The big 3 cable news outlets are 2 sides of the same coin. CNN and MSNBC represent the Democratic side, while Fox News represents the Republican side. They all represent one side of the same whole, and when needed they all parrot the same stories like good little propaganda machines. Proof you ask? Well here you go, CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX and the like all parroting the EXACT same thing and this happens all the time.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

originally posted by: OpenMindedRealist

All of the replies agree -- unbiased media sources are few and far between.

Have you never heard of the internet?

I think this mentality is exactly what the OP was addressing. The trend on ATS is to disbelieve anything coming from established media outlets like Fox, CNN, BBC, while eagerly gulping down 'news' from sources outside of the mainstream.

Why RT is considered anything but mainstream is beyond me, but ATS members have demonstrated an appetite for Russian state-sponsored news.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
RT lol yeah, I think it's safe to say they're a direct link to president Putins mouth, after all it's putins close friend who runs the place and it's funded by the kremlin, so sure they're going to say anything that makes the west look bad or warp, twist, and distort the facts...

You really should see the tosh they post online tho, it couldn't be anymore anti west drivel if it tried, it's so obvious and all the sheeple go Wild for it eating it up as the truth of all truths and gospel

There is also a number of trolls who post/comment on RT Facebook pages whom also are responsible for the Facebook page & group called, Russia, Iran, China, North Korea, Syria, alliance

All they seem to do is post pictures of missiles and nukes and have an mass orgy about how the alliance will destroy the western world and NATO, they're full grown men... but act like utter dumb idiotic children hilarious to read over,

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: funkadeliaaaa

All of the replies agree -- unbiased media sources are few and far between.

Have you never heard of the internet?

I think this mentality is exactly what the OP was addressing. The trend on ATS is to disbelieve anything coming from established media outlets like Fox, CNN, BBC, while eagerly gulping down 'news' from sources outside of the mainstream.

Why RT is considered anything but mainstream is beyond me, but ATS members have demonstrated an appetite for Russian state-sponsored news.

I think it's more that people are searching for alternative viewpoints, not necessarily that they want Russian propaganda. I look at RT much the same way I do MSNBC. They are both bought and paid for by their respective administrations. This doesn't mean that I think everything they both broadcast is false. It just means you must take much of it with a grain of salt and do your own further research.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Yes. We understand. At least, most of us do. We're not flipping stupid. It's in THE name.

It is STILL one of my favourite news avenues. I'm not specifically pro-Russia by any means. I'm not particuarly anti-Russia either, as I partly owe my existence to their assistance throughout my country of heritage's history.

But it has nothing to do with 'picking sides' for me personally, and for a lot of people I know.

The fact is simple my friend - RT provides not only a wider range of coverage, including global events that were effectively blacked out from A LOT of Western media, but also attempts to provide a less biased observation of things.

It doesn't matter if this is a facade by Putin, because it acts as a better NEWS channel than many others. Putin is clever in that sense because he understands that by providing a less biased viewpoint he can tap into the growing western population who are aware of their own propaganda campaign.

But the key point doesn't change - due to this strategy RT DOES provide better coverage and that alone makes it worth tuning into at some point.

What's interesting is you're drumming the point that RT is state-run and this should strongly resonate in our heads, but one of the most OBVIOUS propaganda channels on the planet - FoxNews - is a private entity. A private entity that pretty much controls a huge part of the mainstream media.

Isn't that a more worrying issue to you?

I'd rather my children watched RT than FoxNews and I'm definitely pro-west in general. I couldn't care less if Putin endorses it because I'll take advantage of the avenue of any fairly 'open' news source while I can.

America needs to catch up. The absurdity of propaganda channels like FoxNews is only helping Putin's plan. Of course, the idea is to get you to associate Russia as an open and fair country (which is BS - no doubt) but as a by-product of it's direction it genuinely does raise an awareness to corruption on our OWN SOIL.

I will take that gladly for as long as I can. The more source of data, the better in this case. However, I'm WELL aware our BS/propaganda detector has to be on-point at all times and critical thinking is of the highest essence, with ALL the main media outlets these days.

Sadly, focusing on Puppeteer X makes Puppeteer Y more powerful and vice versa. And that's the game we often get swept up in. Let's just expose them all, eh?

And don't get me wrong people, there are also some good and open outlets in the West and here in the UK especially, but when you've got entities like FoxNews I think it's abit silly to be launching tirades exclusively on RT, which it seems is a growing trend on ATS as of late...

The intentions might be bad behind both of them, but the actual magnitude of the conditioning effect is very different.

In reality, the best news source to an extent is Twitter. At least it cannot force a chosen viewpoint on you in the same psychological manner a mainstream news outlet can.
edit on 6-8-2014 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2014 by DazDaKing because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Dear SkepticOverlord

i respect your Opinion regarding this Issue with RT , Although i don't fully agree with your position..

I will agree that indeed members should be aware that RT can be bias and can in some cases be full of propaganda .

As a student of knowledge here at ATS it is my job to sift through all the "hog wash" and bring the truth to light .

i understand that your under the impression that U.S news outlets are not susceptible to propaganda or bias Opinion?

it has been proven many times that this is simply not true .

i personally like RT (as another member put it ) they report on issues that other MSM outlet's simply won't touch.

my question is has RT's propaganda ever been a "real" issue on ATS ? has it influenced opinion in such a way that it cases extreme discord ?

At the end of the day we find the truth or come close to it don't we ?

respectfully Skeptic i don't really see a big Issue here .

i am thankful that you are trying to "make members aware " .

but the truth is good sir i my self will continue to use RT as a news Outlet and if i feel it's truthful enough to post on ATS i will continue to do so until otherwise notified.

humbly

LSH

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've asked this a dozen times elsewhere and I still haven't gotten a good answer. Would someone please tell me why I should trust Russia Today? Don't throw at me a bunch of 'western media sucks' type stuff. We already know that. I want to know why Russia Today is supposedly trustworthy. Anyone?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OpenMindedRealist

HAHA thanks for the laugh... but seriously I didn't say anything about not applying scrutiny to what one reads while on the internet. You missed the serious divergence (but not derailment, so dont worry mods) my line of questioning was intended to invoke in open minds....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Ok. RT is not trustworthy.

The question now is:

Why The owners of the site dont make a thread changing a few letters like this:

CNN (cnn.com) Is USA Propaganda Channel - "Truth is not the mission at CNN"

So i can call it even.

Fair enought?

Why all this "hype" about RT anyways?
edit on 6-8-2014 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I've asked this a dozen times elsewhere and I still haven't gotten a good answer. Would someone please tell me why I should trust Russia Today? Don't throw at me a bunch of 'western media sucks' type stuff. We already know that. I want to know why Russia Today is supposedly trustworthy. Anyone?

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

who's saying "you should trust them " ?

the question is "should you trust any news outlets "?

are any news outlets 100% truthful ?

i only know of one Outlet that works very hard to bring TRUTH in every Aspect and topic ..

AboveTopSecret.com .. Check them out when you have time

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

I have seen few lies being exposed as lies coming from Russia but a bunch of exposed lies being spread through the media in America. If I am truly on the quest to deny ignorance, which I am, it is impossible to come to any other conclusion.

Really...

www.stopfake.org...

www.stopfake.org...

www.stopfake.org...

And this is one is about RT...

khpg.org...

I am disappointed that an owner of this site would post such a political message (although not really given the history of ATS). The fact you started a new thread for this pretty much proves that point.

It is more truthful than it is political.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

i only know of one Outlet that works very hard to bring TRUTH in every Aspect and topic ..

Which is the reason why we have this thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: RUSSO

a reply to: LightningStrikesHere

Try this one on for size.

Your News source: Spins, Slants or STRAIGHT OUT LIES!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

I think it's good that you remind the membership that RT is state-ran and produces pro-Russian propaganda. The more people know about their media sources, the better.

We had discussed this issue previously, so you know that I like RT. It's not that I am not wise to their tactics and pro-Russian stance, it's that I like to get some viewpoints outside of the normal Left vs. Right American mainstream media. Not only do I get that from RT, but also from sources like Al Jazeera.

I'd never take anything they say as complete fact, but I do like their different "perspective" from time to time.

That's my 2 cents.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Yeah.. thats what im talking about.

But would be a nice touch if it had come from the owners.

Because this thread feels like HEAVY propaganda too.
edit on 6-8-2014 by RUSSO because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: LightningStrikesHere
who's saying "you should trust them " ?

There have been people on ATS who swear by Russia Today. More than just a few have said it's more trustworthy than the Western MSM. I've asked why Russia Today can be trusted. How can it be trusted 'more' .. how can it be trusted at all? The Western MSM sucks. But so does Russia Today, and Press TV, and so does the state run DPRK outlet. I'd just like to hear someone tell me something about the way Russia Today operates that would make me believe what they say. That's all.

edit on 8/6/2014 by FlyersFan because: forgot mod quotes

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

boom ! nice thread dude !

BTW i don't think i ever thanked you for making my avatar pic

truth is i don't think you know i ever took the pic from you ..

mwahahaha

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: DazDaKing

Totally agree with you. This is not a lesser of two evils argument, its a lesser of two soapboxes argument.
edit on 6-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join