It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia Today (RT.com) Is Russia's Propaganda Channel - "Truth is not the mission at RT"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

All our news networks are state-run propaganda too. What is the difference?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord

originally posted by: rigel4
So why don't you just ban RT from ATS

It has been discussed. However, instead of banning them, we modified the Terms and Conditions to ban the actions of their operatives who have been spotted here on ATS.

Yes I remember that .. and it has helped a lot ..
There is not the same level of organized shillin
at the moment..

Well done for that!
edit on Wed, 06 Aug 2014 12:34:30 -05003412America/ChicagoWednesday4 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeAllDieSoon

Where do you live? In most countries the media are run by privately or publicly held corporations.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

There is no such a thing as free press any longer.

Except maybe here.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Incorrect. See this post, for more information.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

Where do you live? In most countries the media are run by privately or publicly held corporations.

I live in America, land of the Corporate Communists, home of the mass deception, place of the tow-the-line-or-else, and religion of the worship the dollar.

Privately owned and state-run are not mutually exclusive.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Incorrect. See this post, for more information.

Propaganda just means to spread about. Bias and propaganda are mutually inclusive.

The fact is our "Heads of State" are not truly our elected officials, and what is tailored for specific audiences is tailored with an agenda in mind for that audience.

I see the distinctions you are trying to make, but with how blurred the lines have become in recent decades - I don't see the point in making the distinctions at all. In practical use, it is the same thing. Our news networks are less interested in doing what makes money and more interested in shaping what makes money.

ETA: You should be able to appreciate the negative connotation of propaganda being based on a logical fallacy, with your background in advertising.
edit on 6-8-2014 by WeAllDieSoon because: (no reason given)

+18 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Why do you single out RT?

Because Russia Today is a state-run propaganda machine, while very few ATS members seem to be aware of that, and even fewer of the public at large.

The difference between propaganda and bias is very important. US (and other western) news media exhibits bias, with RT represents propaganda. My posts in another thread outline my experience with such matters.

The difference is actually minute. I trust American mainstream media as little as I trust RT, especially with the Ukraine situation. I have seen few lies being exposed as lies coming from Russia but a bunch of exposed lies being spread through the media in America. If I am truly on the quest to deny ignorance, which I am, it is impossible to come to any other conclusion.

I am disappointed that an owner of this site would post such a political message (although not really given the history of ATS). The fact you started a new thread for this pretty much proves that point.

Also for the record this is not about Patriotism. A Patriot wants to be proud of the actions their country takes. A patriot stands up when their country is in the wrong as well as when they are in the right. Just because people have judged that in this case, Putin is not necessarily being the bad guy, doesn't make them any less of a Patriot. If the news coming from RT seems more real, after examination, than that coming from the western media, who is it to say that it isn't?

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket
Why do you single out RT?

Because Russia Today is a state-run propaganda machine,

US (and other western) news media exhibits bias, with RT represents propaganda.

And?..Its all BS mate. Same #e different pile.

Israels evil, Israels good, Iran has nukes, Screw the west, Obamas inept, Putins a Tyrant, blahblahblah

Its entertainment in the lowest form. It makes no difference what you call it.

edit on 6-8-2014 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

The difference between propaganda and bias is very important. US (and other western) news media exhibits bias, with RT represents propaganda.

True but there can be a fine line between the two. When the end results are that readers who don't see they are being manipulated what difference does it make? We can barely trust any MSM outlets at this point and have to sift everything we read with a keen eye.

By far the most valuable of these associations, according to CIA officials, have been with the New York Times, CBS and Time Inc.

The CIA’s use of the American news media has been much more extensive than Agency officials have acknowledged publicly or in closed sessions with members of Congress.
Carl Bernstein: THE CIA AND THE MEDIA

I don't trust any of them but granted nothing out of RT is without a state directed agenda.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

The difference is actually minute.

No, the difference is overwhelming. If the state controlled the media, Richard Nixon might still be President! There is a Constitutional justification for an independent press. The media may be biased, but they remain independent of the government.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
And so this is different from every mainstream media outlet here in the U.S. how???

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: sligtlyskeptical
I am disappointed that an owner of this site would post such a political message

This has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with the affinity the "conspiracy theory community" online has toward RT.com through confirmation bias.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Urantia1111
And so this is different from every mainstream media outlet here in the U.S. how???

Read this, which has been linked previously in this thread.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: DJW001

They are independent only in the realm of finances. How many reporters who buck the line keep their jobs. None. There is no freedom of press with the major outlets, only freedom to profit. Otherwise this thread never would have been started.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

I am disappointed that an owner of this site would post such a political message

This has nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with the affinity the "conspiracy theory community" online has toward RT.com through confirmation bias.

Why is our population so susceptible to this elementary deception?

Because we have been trained to be from birth. While confirmation bias is natural, it is reinforced everywhere we go. It is encouraged to the extreme.

Instead of building resilience and resistance to psychological manipulation, our rulers have decided we should remain bewildered. It will backfire.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

How many reporters who buck the line keep their jobs.

Then explain FoxNews, which is over-the-top anti-administration. If "the government" controls the news, why was FoxNews allowed to run rampant with the Benghazi story, which turned out to be way to much ado about nothing?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I am confused...

All of the replies agree -- unbiased media sources are few and far between.

So why complain about a thread which calls out (arguably) the least trustworthy of the lot?

What cannot be argued, is that RT has more funding, motive, and means to spread disinformation than any other media outlet.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you think the west media dont do propaganda then you know very little. The west uses propaganda to tell the sheeple that the debt economy system works and Russia points out the west system doesn't work through their media outlets. The wests debt system is why America is going around putting in puppet governments that toe their economical stance so their can siphon off wealth to pay of Americas debt. Every country the west has took under its economical wing all had to sell off their state utilities their farmlands land etc in order for them to be accepted. The people buying up these utilities and natural reserves are not natives to the country in question. So Russia has taken steps to stop the propaganda lies made by the west influencing Russian people to accept that the wests way is the best way whilst at the same time Russia China India Brazil are all putting their heads together to put in an alternative system to the west one in which is based on something like gold rather than based on thin air.
This is what it all comes down too. So When it comes to RT giving me news I can pretty much take it as fact when it comes to news regarding my own country and western economics. That I cannot say if I listen to my national news or local news. I fear more from the america than i do from russia case in point which country has killed more civillians in 40 years than both world wars combined. I think that should sum it up

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

a reply to: DJW001

They are independent only in the realm of finances. How many reporters who buck the line keep their jobs. None. There is no freedom of press with the major outlets, only freedom to profit. Otherwise this thread never would have been started.

How can Glenn Beck and Rachel Maddow both be towing the government line? Why is RT permitted on cable TV? Al Jazeera?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join