It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cabbage Steaks (Based on the Brussels Sprouts thread by SeekingDepth)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Brussels sprouts and cabbage aren't exactly everyone's favorite, but SeekingDepth's post on BS reminded me of this recipe that I ran across for cabbage steaks and now we have them nearly every week (tonight, in fact!).

Head of Cabbage
Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
Garlic (chopped small) or garlic powder

Wash cabbage and pick off outer leaves. Level bottom of head by cutting off about 1/4 inch or so, so it will stand up. Slice cabbage into 4-5 "steaks" one inch wide. Brush steaks generously (both sides) and cookie sheet with olive oil and sprinkle salt, pepper and chopped garlic or garlic powder on steaks. Bake at 400 degrees for one hour, turning halfway through. Watch that they don't burn too much. Some burnt is delicious!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic
I have never done cabbage this way, but when I fry cabbage in a skillet, I add a pinch of sugar to enhance the carmelizing.
I love fried cabbage, so I will try these soon.
Thanks.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

I am always looking for different ways to use cabbage!

This sounds and looks delicious!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Oh yes, what a smart idea making cabbage steaks

For sure I will be trying these.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Your recipe is nice, but how can you talk about cabbage without including bacon, mashed potatoes and maybe onions? There is an important marriage there that is close to divinity.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

It sounds heavenly, indeed. Maybe as a "treat" I will try it. I mean, that sounds REALLY good!

I usually have a pretty healthy diet, and I can have these steaks anytime.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Does anyone like to eat the cabbage hearts?
When I was a child, my dad and I used to share the heart raw with a little salt. My mom would save it for us when she cleaned a head of cabbage and cut it into wedges.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I devour the whole head raw. I love cabbage.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: butcherguy

I devour the whole head raw. I love cabbage.

Me too. Some of the meals I received in public school were served with a cabbage wedge.
I used to enjoy sweet potatoes and white potatoes raw too, but my kidney stone diet took those foods away from me (and many more).

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Some of my cabbages are almost ready to pick out of the garden, and I'm definitely going to try this.

I've done a very similar thing with roasted Brussels sprouts. I could eat them all day long.

Thanks for the tip!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

I've never made cabbage because I never knew what to really do with it. This however looks really good! I'll have to get some and try it!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
If anyone tries this, make sure to let me know how you liked it!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 0rkoJoker

I don't understand people who don't like Brussels Sprouts. The trick is to simply not overcook them.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I have a prediction for the future, I see vegoburgers with cabbage steaks and grilled eggplant... WITH cheese because Im not a # vegan.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Those look so delicious! Cabbage is one of my favorites and I'm always looking for new ways to prepare it. Definitely making cabbage steaks tonight.

Yum.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
My husband ate the leftovers for lunch today. These are a huge hit!

Be sure to report back!
edit on 8/7/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: 0rkoJoker

I don't understand people who don't like Brussels Sprouts. The trick is to simply not overcook them.

Me either! When people turn their noses up at them im like whyyyyyy!!! In most people it is just that their hatred for them has carried over from childhood..they are soo good!

Thanks OP i am going to try this, i steam all my vegetables too lock in the nurtitional value but it gets so boring after awhile usually i steam them with garlic & butter like most veg! But this looks amazingly tasty i shall try them and let you know, they even make cabbage look alot more appealing for kids!
edit on 8-8-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I tried them Yum Yum.
Yes its a Keeper thanks for this new side recipe.

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: SeekingDepth

Oh, cool! I'm glad you liked it!

posted on Aug, 12 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I love, love cabbage (and brussel sprouts). I've seen cabbage done this way, but haven't tried it yet myself. I have a cabbage right now, but I was going to dehydrate the leaves with a little olive oil and salt to make cabbage chips in my dehydrator (delicious!). Hmmm, maybe I'll have to try roasted cabbage steaks instead. Time to get more cabbage!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join