It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rosetta makes it to it's target, now orbiting a comet!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Link to NYT page

The Rosetta space probe has made it to Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko!

The plan is to land a smaller probe and stay with the comet for a year to watch what happens as it interacts with the sun.

My open question to all of you is what do you think it will see as it orbits the asteroid?

Dust clouds? Plasma generation?

I think it will be an awesome thing to watch the comet as it "does it's thing"!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: gspat

Does it have camera capability, to either send live pictures to Earth or to gather enough light in to create good pictures of the comet?

Should be quite a ride if it stays with the comet during its closest approach to the sun. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the ice-melt stream.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
This is interesting for several reasons....NOT the LEAST of which is Electric universe theory may get some confirmation out of it......
I wonder if we will get a better look at the sun as well......

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: stirling

When Philae lands on Rosetta, if it does so without creating a "huge spark" that destroys it, it will put the electric universe woo to bed once and for all. I can't wait.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

Does it have camera capability, to either send live pictures to Earth or to gather enough light in to create good pictures of the comet?

Should be quite a ride if it stays with the comet during its closest approach to the sun. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the ice-melt stream.

I feel sorry that you missed all the photos at ESA's Rosetta blog: blogs.esa.int...

Here's a "postcard from Rosetta" for you:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ngchunter

Wishful thinking my friend.

The EU theorists will just move the goal posts once more.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I'm not sure you'd get a spark, the probe should be at the same charge?

Nothing should happen (according to EU) until the group make their way in towards the sun and the external charges change. Then there would be electrical discharges or at least a definite glow.

That's IF there are external charges.

If we see simply dust streams and mini geysers, that'll be one for the standard theory.

Anything else will probably send both sides back to the drawing board to puzzle it out.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: wildespace

originally posted by: Aleister

I feel sorry that you missed all the photos at ESA's Rosetta blog: blogs.esa.int...

Here's a "postcard from Rosetta" for you:

That is incredibly neat. Close-up photos of a comet. If you squint you can juuust make out Bruce Willis.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat

I'm not sure you'd get a spark, the probe should be at the same charge?

Nothing should happen (according to EU)

Wrong. According to EU, the deep impact probe's bright flash upon impact was due to a massive spark which started just before it reached the comet's surface. Can't have it both ways, so the theory dies this year.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

The deep impact probe was a bare metal object with considerable mass, approaching quickly, no time for gentle charge equalisation. The probe here will be in effect a Faraday cage, so the only charge equalisation will be from the surface, and if it approaches slowly, which is the plan, there will be no discharge at all.
This event, IMO, will put an end to the dirty snowball model, and eventually fully support at least some of the Electric Universe theories.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

My open question to all of you is what do you think it will see as it orbits the asteroid?

Aliens!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: GaryN

The deep impact probe was a bare metal object with considerable mass, approaching quickly, no time for gentle charge equalisation.

This speaks for itself, despite all handwaving to the contrary.

A cavity region with essentially zero magnetic field has been discovered, with a width of 8,500 km along the trajectory around closest approach.

www.nature.com...
You can try all you want to make your claim unfalsifiable by handwaving excuses that one probe should explode (of course not because of the high kinetic energy but rather electricity) while another should not (oh it's approaching too slow so somehow magically it won't explode and again this magically has nothing to do with the basic kinetic energy of impact excavating a giant hole from the comet) but the basic fact is it's already falsified.
edit on 6-8-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

A cavity region with essentially zero magnetic field has been discovered, with a width of 8,500 km along the trajectory around closest approach.

So you are saying it can't be charged because there is no magnetic field? A comets surface can be charged by photo-ionisation (vacuum UV) or by mechanical collision with the matter in space that it is travelling through. VUV photo-dissociation of the surface is likely what creates the dust in the coma.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I cannot believe that people actually believe the EU theory.

I'll take my science lessons from the people who managed to orbit a comet today thank you very much, not from some internet joke theory.

Back on topic. This is absolutely mind boggling and i look forward to the next year and all the photos and discoveries..Well done ESA! Kudos!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ngchunter
a reply to: stirling

When Philae lands on Rosetta, if it does so without creating a "huge spark" that destroys it, it will put the electric universe woo to bed once and for all. I can't wait.

Nope. We already had deep impact which had that same prediction, it did not occur, they march on I am afraid. You can't beat religion with science.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but wasn't the impact of that much more energetic than they expected it to be?

Or was that some other probe they crashed somewhere?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: gspat
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Forgive me if I'm incorrect, but wasn't the impact of that much more energetic than they expected it to be?

Or was that some other probe they crashed somewhere?

"energetic" .... no. Maybe you can show me where they said that. Sounds like a wonderful way to twist words by an EU believer. It was bigger than expected, but that is not at all more energetic. There were so many unknowns about the interior of the comet that they were just guessing really at the exact outcome. The problem is that Ice and CO2 crystals were 100% identified .. that which should not exist according to EU.

Just to iterate, the "bigger than expected explosion" is not them saying they have no explanation, it is their pleasant surprise as to how perfect it went and how much data they got.

ETA: If you watch Mythbusters you will see similar situations. They know exactly how much explosives they are using, they know what the material they are putting the explosives in, and sometimes they predict almost nothing will happen and they go crazy when the explosion blows something apart. Same thing. The force is known, but the results of that force were greater than expected.
edit on 6-8-2014 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

So you are saying it can't be charged because there is no magnetic field? A comets surface can be charged by photo-ionisation (vacuum UV) or by mechanical collision with the matter in space that it is travelling through. VUV photo-dissociation of the surface is likely what creates the dust in the coma.

If it's highly charged, and a magnetometer is flying by that charge at high speed, then what do you think it will detect? Hint, charge plus motion equals... Like I said, debunked, move on. By the way, your claim makes no sense and is in disagreement with EU as all asteroids would then be comets. Just so you know.
edit on 7-8-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

If it's highly charged, and a magnetometer is flying by that charge at high speed, then what do you think it will detect? Hint, charge plus motion equals... Like I said, debunked, move on. By the way, your claim makes no sense and is in disagreement with EU as all asteroids would then be comets. Just so you know.

Seems like there is magnetism, and plasma, which means electrical charge, and motion, so you get magnetic fields. Asteroids and comets are formed in the same fasion, the only difference is in their orbits. And they all charged to some degree.

Magnetic field observations in comet Halley's coma

www.nature.com...

And how much are they paying you adamant, flat earth cavemen to keep on trying to put off the inevitable conclusion that electrical forces will be shown to dominate gravity forces by many times in the workings of the Universe? Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Seems like there is magnetism, and plasma, which means electrical charge, and motion, so you get magnetic fields.

Except there isn't one coming from the nucleus.

www.nature.com...
Your link describes magnetic fields in the coma due to solar wind piling up against the coma material. EU thrives, absolutely thrives, on quote mining for things that they claim support their position while ignoring the hard evidence that disproves it. It has nothing to do with the comet itself being "magnetic." It isn't, that isn't what is causing the comet's coma, the comet's nucleus exhibited no detectable magnetic field at all.
edit on 7-8-2014 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join