It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I believe God is existential and alive, yet I'm still an atheist. How is that possible?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:35 PM
a reply to: snypwsd
You´re kidding, right?
It´s the other way around.

edit on 6-8-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:12 PM
As someone said, if you believe in God as either a force of will/Tinkerbell/whatever you're a Theist not an Atheist.

You can be an Atheist and "open to persuasion" (read as not a bigot in your views) as many are, but still are Atheist.

Some attribute Atheism as "opposed to God", but that's a different thread.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

Its a mistaken conclusion because all of what you stated...results in the confirmation that you are not an atheist.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:57 PM

originally posted by: igor_ats
As someone said, if you believe in God as either a force of will/Tinkerbell/whatever you're a Theist not an Atheist.

Well that depends really on whether you consider their use of the word god as being an accurate use of the word. If I mistakenly call a fish a bird, and actually believe that the fish is a bird, does the fish suddenly become a bird?

So the question is, is his description of what he believes god is, the same as the definition of god intended by theism?

I say what he's referencing is a Tulpa or mind creation, and not an actual god, and thus not really theism. He's essentially calling a fish a bird.

Is like a koala bear is not actually a bear.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM

Well my faith is that THE God, my father is the absolute first of all that is, and I mean, everything you can possibly imagine and everything you can't imagine. So, I pray to that one, the ultimate first. I believe he has no need for us except for the fact that he so loves to be good. So he created life and hence this material plane, with free will intertwined with cause-effect environment.

He needs none, though he longs others out of good. And he wants us to come to him because he knows it is best for us. Let's put it like this, he would want us to want to find his will and become one with him. And his will is Love, care, compassion, happiness, faith (faith in one's deeds and faith in knowledge, belief only being a part of it) and hope.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:07 PM

originally posted by: loveguy

Have you ever heard of Friedrich Nietzsche?

My 10 foot pole melts when I poke at it...Nihilism

Nihilism is often associated with the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who provided a detailed diagnosis of nihilism as a widespread phenomenon of Western culture. Though the notion appears frequently throughout Nietzsche's work, he uses the term in a variety of ways, with different meanings and connotations, all negative.

My comprehension skills tend to lack sometimes, sorry if i'm sleep-typing.

I certainly know of Nietzsche's work and I appreciate it. I believe I should abandon the label "athiest" because it does not fit. I was creating my own definition. I don't believe agnostic works either. Secular Humanist probably works best however being stripped of memes, it's harder to communicate the idea and make it "stick". All humans are martyrs for Humanism, they just don't all know it :0

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:08 PM
a reply to:" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">

That hurt my head..

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:10 PM
a reply to: Sump3

Are you ever concerned that your personal relationship with your God has caused "him" to assume some of the characteristics of your personality? For instance, gender?
edit on 6-8-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: post script

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:19 PM

No, he is forever eternally infinite. I cannot measure him, he measures me. I can only see the vague translucent image of him in the world, and within.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:20 PM
Atheists by definition do not believe gods are real. You believe God (a god) is real. Unless your definition of atheism is different than the one I'm familiar with, I'm confused.

EDIT: Okay, on second glance you're saying the CONCEPT of God exists, not an actual god. Then there is no conflict between that assertion and your atheism. I think most atheists would agree that the concept exists.
edit on 6-8-2014 by 0rkoJoker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:21 PM

Talk about having your cake and eating it too. There's an
older saying than that tho. You simply can't have it both ways amigo.
You might be trying to say God exists but you don't believe in him.

edit on Rpm80614v29201400000043 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:41 PM

originally posted by: 0rkoJokered.
EDIT: Okay, on second glance you're saying the CONCEPT of God exists, not an actual god. Then there is no conflict between that assertion and your atheism. I think most atheists would agree that the concept exists.

Actually he's saying the concept of God exists in a very real and tangible form. Not exactly the same thing. Goes at least one step further than just concept.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:57 PM
I believe in god sometimes too. As in I have my own personal god this day and next day I forget her. Then I make up a New god or recall the the one I had before. And usually I say I have no god, but then I change my mind... Complicated stuff

My current god is, The God of Anime. Do not ask why!
edit on 6 8 2014 by elixz because: (no reason given)

edit on 6 8 2014 by elixz because: Misspelled some words

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:58 PM

Easy... what time time do i go to bed?

very easy for a

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:12 PM
a reply to: elixz

It doesn't sound complicated. I don't want to say what it sounds.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:13 PM
Your conception of God is similar to that of the Greeks, specifically Plato, God is the idea of all ideas. Uncreated, unmoved, unmovable, since God is the idea of all ideas, it knows all, yet it isn't clear whether God is all powerful. As an idea, God doesn't have the typical characteristics of Western Theism, it isn't being with feelings or thoughts, it's a Platonic form, like a triangle or a sphere.

On a side note, very few have explored the philosophical and possible theological implications of the Many worlds interpretation of Quantum Mechanics:

Many-worlds Interpretation

Here is the quandary, if the many worlds interpretation is an accurate description of reality then all physically possible worlds exist simultaneously. This means that, if our brains have free will somehow influenced by the quantum mechanics in biochemical reactions, there is a universe corresponding to every choice possible to a person making a decision. So no matter what choice we make there is an equally real universe where we made other choices. So basically this means that there are no "bad" choices or no "good" choices, since each choice becomes reality. Since every choice becomes reality, then what does this do to our notion of "responsibility"? Here is a practical reduction of the idea, could someone be punished, in our reality, for actions committed by the exact same person in another reality?
edit on 6-8-2014 by deloprator20000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:47 PM

Well, there's no contradiction in your post. An atheist doesn't have to believe in nothing, he just disbelieves in the theistic god (that is, the 'god of the big 5') which you clearly don't. You can absolutely be an atheist and believe in god. Just not the theistic god.

A - not
Theist - believer in a theistic god.
Atheist - one who does not believe in the theistic god.

The confusion arises from the mis-use of the term atheist in modern discourse, where it is often used to refer to New Atheism, which is a modern philosophical movement that denies not only the theistic god but all gods and all spiritual belief.

The Buddha was a spiritual atheist too -- you'd probably get on quite well.

But actully, you're a pantheist as well as an atheist, which are not mutually exclusive terms. That is, you believe in many gods. And your definition of god(s) is quite similar to other traditional pantheists like the Ancient Greeks and the Hindus, rather than theistic like the Christians or the Jews.

It's also remarkably like Neil Gaiman's re-telling of those belief structures from his novel American Gods. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. I think you'd really like it.

A lot of people who self identify as Chaos Magicians believe the same things you do. You should check out some books by Peter Carrol and Phil Hine, if you're into that kind of thing.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:26 PM
when aliens become a thing in everyday life, It will be so surreal you wouldn't know how to define it except by the kingdom of god.

And i guess who ever is sitting on the throne of the planet Earth would be Earths God.

Add some qualities like immortality, Living consiousness through exotic matter information compressed capsules. (Immunity to Ionic charges unless stored information is utilized)

Ability to read a persons thoughts memories/Lifespan in mere seconds.
And able to act on what is shown. If humans were created by such exotic beings.
What would it be like to be judged from the moment you lock eyes with these beings and completely read before you can take your first breath.

Coupled with the ability to teleport, And assume any shape. A complete being made of highly dense energy that has mastered the art of creation and deconstruction. A being that could quite literally unravel and destroy your soul or what ever exists of it. Sounds pretty similar to being sent to hell if you ask me.

Is God a Thoughtform that relies on faith?

You are completely mistaken, Its the lack of faith that leads to incinerating. Because a human who cannot live in the kingdom of god is useless in this life, And an evil human can be destroyed permentantly. No mystism, No feeding on faith from the populations in order to exist as a *thoughtform*. Just highly evolved E.T that can only reproduce by converting humans into living consiousness.

And any and all planets they colonize have humans adapted to those planets. So we are different than all humans but the same. We humans are an intergalatic species. And the very first humans in the universe were from a distant galaxy. And we are all the way out here now.

Where does this thought form of god that you are implying relies on faith going to exist when humans themselves are creating other planets and stars? Terra forming and colonizing?

Obviously by that point our space brothers and us would have abandoned such views by then.
But by that point the planet will be cleansed so i guess it dosn't mean much for everyone who won't be there to experience it.

But continue to believe God is just a mere thought form, and not a painful memory, a thorn in the side of all of humanity that some dude flying around in the clouds will have his vengeance.

edit on 6-8-2014 by AnuTyr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:22 PM

"God is....
-God is real and has physical form but it's not flesh and blood.
-God has and asserts free will. It's not the same type of (cause-effect) free will as a human.
-God is born, lives and is mortal. God is aware of this condition."

These are not the words of an atheist.
These are the words of a pragmatic humanist that seeks common ground.
Atheism has no common ground with God.

I sense that you seek to embrace the virtue of humanity.
As an atheist I fully accept and believe that the vast majority
of the Faithful love humanity as the will of God.

I can imagine no god that does not
seek perfection for His children.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:22 PM

All forms of beliefs people have about GOD and anything else really, are ALL BASED ON RELIGIONS!!!

Anyone who denies GOD, is doing so to ARGUE WITH A RELIGION !!

Atheists, do not have original thoughts about creation.

Agnostics do not either.

Get it through your heads that one way or ANOTHER, pretty much every darned person on this planets belief systems are decided this way or that inside the SANDBOX or partial truths, and FULL BLOWN LIES that they are being ALLOWED TO SEE.

We need a new kind of being who can actually uncover the realities that we are being held into bondage inside who has ORIGINAL IDEAS.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>