It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

I believe God is existential and alive, yet I'm still an atheist. How is that possible?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:10 AM
I have what you might call unorthodox views. Venture into this realm with me if you have the interest and/or the courage. I believe I have a fairly rare perception of God, but I believe I can predict outcomes based on this model. Help me test the model by asking me questions about the future.

God is....
-God is real and has physical form but it's not flesh and blood.
-God has and asserts free will. It's not the same type of (cause-effect) free will as a human.
-God is born, lives and is mortal. God is aware of this condition.
-God grows and shrinks over time and is 100% dependent on operatives (believers). Humans are the corpus and hands of God.
-God responds to attacks and is defensive
-God is larger and more powerful today than at any time in human history.
-God has biological operatives but no biological offspring.
-Praying to God has a minute but finite effect.
-There is an after life but it is different for every human, it's nothing like this life with it's numerous pleasantries.
-There is more than one God. In fact, there are a multitude. Only a few are powerful enough to be considered classically God-like relative to a single human.
-All these Gods will eventually die (I hope). They might be actively killed by humans or passively die from lack of operatives (e.g. "starvation").

God's operatives, upon reading these words, will feel physical pain, anger, and want to erase the words (and probably me) from the Earth. They don't really question why because the reflex is programmed and sub-conscious . I am in no way afraid of God but I know there are operatives that are existential threats to my life.

"God" is a meme -- actually many different memes. Orthodoxy is the depth at which the operative's brain is programmed by the meme. The power of God is proportional to number and orthodoxy of human operatives. Operatives feed God with synchronous orthodoxy of thought and action. Essentially the same as bee hives and ant colonies. When the last believer dies, forgets or abandons the meme framework, God dies.

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:33 AM
atheist - a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. Please explain how you think you are an atheist?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:38 AM
a reply to: InverseLookingGlass

My understanding of the nature of the gods are so similar to what you wrote. It is true, they are reliant on an "orthodoxy" and the difference between gods, angels, and demons is often just the size and scope of their campaign.

Mine have chosen me and I follow them but I do not wish for the others to die. In fact, I do not think it's possible (this is where you and I differ in our understandings). Think of their active existence as something that requires something to regard it but, if left without attention, will simply go dormant most of the time. Their advocates and operatives may be the biggest factor in their viability but it isn't the only one. This is how gods return from comatose as they are now.

The framework for the bee hive does not vanish even if it is abandoned.

In any case, it's awesome to read these words from somebody.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:38 AM
If you believe in a deity or a higher being / power for what ever reason, you aren't an atheist.
Think about the words, Theist, and A-theist for a second.

What you did there was supporting theism.
edit on 6-8-2014 by strongfp because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:41 AM
You are agnostic?
"An agnostic is a person who believes that the existence of a greater power, such as a god,"
from urban dictionary

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:43 AM
So in other words God is a super powered Tulpa, AKA: thought creation, powered by the belief of His worshippers?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:45 AM
Don't brood on it so much. God is the God of Death, the only kind of "real" god there is. All we want to know is what happens after we die, and if there was any kind of meaning to our lives. It's hard for people to believe that consciousness can just die, that we can simply cease to exist.

Humans are so anthrocentric; we have trouble fathoming that consciousness could exist in vastly different forms than our own. God is nothing that we believe him to be, nothing that we attribute to him is true.

It is not a question anyone here can answer, sorry. Better just stick to ancestor worship- much simpler that way. We are humans, and all we know is ourselves (and in fact we don't even know ourselves, truth be told).

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:51 AM

To add. Some beings may be primarily astral/ethereal and can manifest within flesh or other bodies... With this in mind the may be able to see the Souls/Spirits/Internal Energies within many why many are still in flesh or other forms. This allows greeting potential once some lose their flesh. Further there may be others not benevolent with similar primarily astral/ethereal attributes to themselves who can also manifest within flesh or other forms allowing them encounter opportunities as many transition out of the flesh.

Think of it like beings elder then many can imagine who have had periods to adjust their physical make ups to transition Existence and still remain aware once they return to their primarily astral/ethereal bodies LIKE LORD JESUS CHRIST was said to of did...

And so elder and CAN See human & others Souls/Spirit/Internal Energy-
when manifested in flesh and out of flesh during the phases of life and death within existence. -Remember the tree of LIFE
whatever that may be that mankind was not granted immediate access to, that others may have...

edit on 8/6/14 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:57 AM
Many have questioned HOW they could GUIDE or OVERSEE as GOD(s) it took time to formulate this data in a way to reach those who seek.
Basically if your SOULS are ETERNAL then why wouldn't AN ancient CREATOR or Creation be as well

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:00 AM
So remember everyone, God is a fairy like Tinkerbell.

Every time someone says they don't believe in God or gods, a god dies... or gets a limb removed... or... however one defines being hurt in a spiritual sense.

So everyone clap your hands three times and say, "I believe in gods!" Cause gods are people too, and we don't want Deicide on our hands

Save the gods before they are extinct!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:07 AM
a reply to: fernalley

Actually, "agnostic atheist" would have been the correct term/label to use for the OP.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:15 AM
Anything can be given the label "god". The difference is in the descriptive and how it's applied.

In this world most of us are assimilated from birth with a religious god belief. It takes a conscious effort to step out of the "god circle", to completely remove god concept from your psyche.

I consider myself a Spiritual Atheist. Because, I've had "paranormal" experiences since first memory. I can't and won't dismiss there is more beyond the physical world we know.

I do believe everything is energy and that there is a creative energy force. I could label it god, but I won't.

The label god primarily refers to the religious type god, which I definitely do not believe.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:17 AM

originally posted by: ArchangelOger
a reply to: fernalley

Actually, "agnostic atheist" would have been the correct term/label to use for the OP.

Everyone is actually agnostic, even believers.

The real meaning of agnostic is God can not be proven or disproven.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:19 AM
a reply to: strongfp

As I understand the definition of "theist", it's a human that accepts, adopts and manifests the rules of "God".

Basically an operative that has been programmed.

So I accept that God(s) is existential but I reject the programming and refuse to act coherently with the meme.
edit on 6-8-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: spelling

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:20 AM

Agnostics dont believe in god. Atheists dont have enough proof either way so they are in the middle.

So your beliefs are perfectly fine friend!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:29 AM
a reply to: ArchangelOger
An agnostic atheist is someone who does not know for sure if any gods exist or not but who also does not believe in any gods. The OP said God is real
edit on 6-8-2014 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:36 AM
So then does God not yet realize he doesn't exist?

I agree with your meme idea. What we speak about whenever we mention God is the literature surrounding the idea. In fact, this literature is all people really pray to when praying to God—it is impossible to pray to nothing—not a God as such, but the promises made by this literature, the promise that God exists. In that sense, God is the sum-total of the literature concerning the idea. That's what all deities are. These ideas and this literature just so happen to exist.

Atheism is a conformist view that claims God does not exist. That's all fine and dandy, but arguing about something that doesn't exist is about as useful as arguing we have an anus on our forearm. We can only argue about what does exist; and in the case of God, it is the literature that is promoted or opposed.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:52 AM
Treat yourself to a few years of psychosis. You'll know there is a god.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
Sense we only interact with about 5% of are universe the gods could be made out of dark matter or dark energy.
But i am more in the line of the infinity aspect of God. So God would have infinity faces we would see, but he would be the universe itself. So all is one and one is many.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM

Have you ever heard of Friedrich Nietzsche?

My 10 foot pole melts when I poke at it...Nihilism

Nihilism is often associated with the German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, who provided a detailed diagnosis of nihilism as a widespread phenomenon of Western culture. Though the notion appears frequently throughout Nietzsche's work, he uses the term in a variety of ways, with different meanings and connotations, all negative.

My comprehension skills tend to lack sometimes, sorry if i'm sleep-typing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>