It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And the Darwin Award winner this year is.......

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
Yes...that is right......this years Darwin award goes to this guy. Posing for a selfie with a gun to his head and accidentally kills himself. Sorry, but I really have no sympathy for stupidity this blatant.

Oscar Otero Aguilar unfortunately learned the hard way, accidentally killing himself while posing for a selfie with a .38 pointing toward – that’s right – his head.

exnews]

Source

I would disagree with this statement, he didn't learn anything, he died.
Like the Riddler said in Batman Forever: If you kill him, he don't learn nothing.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: RedmoonMWC

Ha...very true. I did not catch that. Can't learn if you can't learn.....

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
Did the photo come out at least?

Ouch!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
a reply to: TDawgRex

"Here, hold my beer, i wanna try something"

I was just there in the room grabbing his cerveza.

"?Si, que passa?"

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
"Here, hold my smartphone and point it at me. I want to try doing something that I watched in a cartoon."

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
It is just hard for me to fathom how there are some people with guns who do not respect them. The only time a gun should be loaded is when you are going to use it. The only exception would be if the firearm was for home defense. I was taught from a young age how to always treat a gun as if it were loaded. I always double check any weapon that I have or pick up, just in case I missed it being loaded the first time. I have even triple checked on some occasions. And even then I rarely point it at anyone or myself, and if I do it is only because I am cleaning it or carrying it and someone maybe moves to another side or something like that, in which case I would shift where I had the barrel pointing.

And then you never put your finger on the trigger, EVER, unless you are planning on firing. You extend it out over the trigger guard instead. Most of the handguns I have or have used have built in mechanisms to prevent accidental discharges, and in my 28 years, many of which included gun use, I have never seen an accidental discharge. But I don't hang around people who disrespect guns. And I was in the military as well. The one time I saw something stupid was while on the firing range in the military. A guy stood up with a loaded M4 and turned around with it, facing some of us, at which point the range instructor was furious. It's funny looking back on it, but there was some danger there.

And when shooting for fun or practice, one should always know what is behind them. On two occasions I have been shot at accidentally. One time a bullet came from out of nowhere and hit a nearby object that was extremely close. I had heard distant shooting at the same time. These were morons on an adjacent piece of land out in the country who didn't realize just how far a bullet can travel, even through brush, depending on the caliber and charge. I did something stupid one time with a gun. I was sighting in a 30-30 and shooting down a slight incline. The target was at the bottom, where there was a fenceline to an adjacent piece of land. I was shooting that way instead of my normal direction because even though all the land was family land I knew that some of our horses were back there. So I shot another direction and chose to shoot down a bit of an incline so the bullets would hit the ground. And the property behind where I was shooting was unoccupied, and even the cows were no longer there.

So I'm on the scope and I fire. I don't have a large field of vision and I don't come off the scope. I happened to come off and look up after another shot, and there was a freaking guy walking along the fenceline in the direction I was shooting. I stopped shooting after I saw him, but he was close. He had kept walking until within maybe 2 yards of my target, even though he was on the other side of a barbed-wire fence. Freaked me out because he was so close, and partly because I realized I shouldn't have assumed nobody would be there, even though not once in my life have I ever seen a person there. The bullet would have hit the ground as long as my shot was good, but even then some weird ricochet could have happened. I just packed it in for the day at that point if I remember correctly.

The guy in this article was an idiot. Whoever owned the gun was also an idiot. I am not going to say that alcohol and guns don't mix, as I cannot count the amount of times I have seen the two combined. But with people who understand and respect guns. I mean everyone always got drunk when going dove hunting, and despite everyone having a shotgun I cannot remember a single mishap, or even a close mishap. And this has been my experience with all the types of people who grew up around guns, especially "country" people. If the gun was loaded it never should have left its hiding spot or its usual location unless it was being unloaded or it was going to be used. And guns get a bad name because of the people who do not know how to respect them.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: FraternitasSaturni
Did the photo come out at least?

There was no photo he pulled the trigger instead of pushing the button

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I was gonna say, Charles Darwin!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I have never seen an accidental discharge.

I can't count how many times I have seen accidental discharges during my career in the military. And it was more often than not Officers or senior NCOs that were the offenders. That earns a General Letter of Reprimand these days if I remember correctly. A career ender. One guy I know ended up in Leavenworth for three years because of involuntary manslaughter.

I always blamed them though as they had become to comfortable and complacent with weapons. That's a bad mix.

I can't say I have sympathy for this guy, though I do for those he left behind.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join