It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pro-Troop Charity Misleads Donors While Lining Political Consultants' Pockets

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   

The charity was launched in part by Sal Russo, one of the most prominent figures in the Tea Party movement.
Pro-Troop Charity Misleads Donors While Lining Political Consultants' Pockets
by Kim Barker ProPublica, Aug. 5, 2014, 5:45 a.m.

This story was co-published with The Daily Beast

In February 2013, Move America Forward announced an ambitious fundraising goal. The charity, launched in part by one of the most prominent figures in the Tea Party movement, had adopted the 800 Marines in a battalion fighting in Afghanistan and wanted to send them all care packages.

"For some troops, these care packages are the only mail they will receive all year," the group said in one email solicitation.

The charity later described the fundraising drive as a rousing success: In less than five weeks, all 800 Marines in a 1st Marine Division battalion nicknamed Geronimo were sent care packages and notes in Afghanistan, it claimed.

But that couldn't have been true. The Marines of Geronimo weren't even in Afghanistan during Move America Forward's fund drive. Instead, they were deployed more than 3,000 miles away, in Okinawa, Japan.

Move America Forward calls itself the nation's "largest grassroots pro-troop organization," and has recruited a bevy of Republican luminaries, including former Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush and former Vice President Dick Cheney, to support its efforts.

Yet an examination of its fundraising appeals, tax records and other documents shows that Move America Forward has repeatedly misled donors and inflated its charitable accomplishments, while funneling millions of dollars in revenue to the men behind the group and their political consulting firms.

In several instances, the charity has taken images and stories from other groups and from veterans themselves without permission to use in fundraising appeals.

Last year, Move America Forward even solicited funds by claiming a partnership with Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the largest hospital for wounded service members in the country. No such partnership existed, Defense Department officials say.

The charity's funds and other assets also appear to have been used to subsidize three conservative political action committees, records show.

Russo is better known for helping to form the Our Country Deserves Better PAC, also known as the Tea Party Express, one of the largest Tea Party groups in the country. Consultants from his Sacramento-based firm, Russo, Marsh and Associates, also set up two other PACs, the Move America Forward Freedom PAC and the Conservative Campaign Committee, to aid conservative causes and candidates.

crooksandliars.com...

Look I am always sick to my stomach when Pols of any party use Vets as props but even more guilty are some folks on the right who yells loudest about supporting the troops ,patriotism, flags everywhere and mom's apple pie, but blocked bills meant to help them out at the same time calling for more war the above makes me wanna throw-up in my mouth, if you are in the Tea Party pls take a closer look at who you call your leaders,you may have ligit gripes about how America is being run but these guys ARE NOT ON YOUR SIDE!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It seems to be a common trend among the Right. Sean Hannity is one of the biggest poster boys.

For the last several years, Sean Hannity and the Freedom Alliance “charity” have conducted “Freedom Concerts” across America. They’ve told you that they are raising money to pay for the college tuition of the children of fallen soldiers and to pay severely wounded war vets.

But it’s all a huge scam. According to its 2006 tax returns, Freedom Alliance reported revenue of $10, 822, 785, but only $397,900–or a beyond-measly 3.68%–of that was given to the children of fallen troops as scholarships or as aid to severely injured soldiers.

Hannity Attacked From The Right - His Charity Spends More On His Private Jets & Consultants Than Wounded Soldier's Kids

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I have called myself a tea-partier before, but have avoided the TPE because they struck me earlier on as having co-opted the movement, portraying themselves as grass-roots when in reality they were not. Same as with the OWS movement. Both were great at the beginning but were fairly quickly co-opted.

I'll never give ANY money to a PAC. They use most of the money donated just like the article says, to pay celebrities, lobbyists, staff, PR campaigns, etc. Maybe 10 cents on the dollar goes to the actual charity.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
TPE was the first aspect of the tea party to be swallowed up by the big business corruption, Heck they hadn't even tried to get their first candidate elected before they were corrupted.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   
No surprises, the entire movement originated from the Koch's. It was never "grassroots," it was always a well-funded pro big-business movement launched to attack regulations.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: BritofTexas

And yet again your bias is pretty disgusting.

The left and the right both have those that exploit charities.

But......lets not mention that. Just offer a single side, so your backing looks good.

Just partial truths I guess.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Take a look at the funding of Wounded Warrior.

It went from a real charity, to an organization run by a lawyer, Steven Nardizzi, and the executive board increased their own salaries once he took over.

Most Charities are a scam from the start. Very few actually put money towards those they claim to help.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

But......lets not mention that. Just offer a single side, so your backing looks good.

The continual cry of the busted.... " well THEY do it!!!"

Just remember when you catch ANYONE in a real lie, not to trust them.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: damwel

Who is crying???

Just tired of seeing comments like the one I challenged.

It is BOTH sides that do this.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Just like to point out that you can throw a dart at a board full of the biggest most well known charities in the US and 90-95% of them will spend more money on administrative support than to the people they claim to support.

its not a Left or Right problem, its a for profit "charity" scam issue that is slowly becoming systemic.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Prosecute them.

Also look into the Clinton's charities and prosecute them. Oh wait, you people only care if it's a conservative charity.

townhall.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Ah yes. The "But jonny down the street does it" defence.

Most people stop using that line when they are six years old, after finding that it just does not work.

So 3 out of 10 for the deflection attempt. You should probably find a new line, not the tired old "Both Sides" argument.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Okay.....I shall remember your statement when threads are posted about how the Progressives are doing something, and you or any others will not say its both sides, but bitch and moan about some Conservative doing something similar.

Here is the different.

I know both sides do it.

YOU seem to only want to view your opposition as the bad apple. But, that is to be expected from you.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Take a look at the funding of Wounded Warrior.

It went from a real charity, to an organization run by a lawyer, Steven Nardizzi, and the executive board increased their own salaries once he took over.

Most Charities are a scam from the start. Very few actually put money towards those they claim to help.

I contribute to WW and just took a look at their score on Charity Navigator, based on your post here. Not sure how current their info is, but they do seem to be utilizing the majority of the money for what it is intended. I'll have to keep an eye out for any changes.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BritofTexas

Ah yes. The "But jonny down the street does it" defence.

Most people stop using that line when they are six years old, after finding that it just does not work.

So 3 out of 10 for the deflection attempt. You should probably find a new line, not the tired old "Both Sides" argument.

So, guess "jonny" does live with you.

Seems that you do indeed use this as a valid argument basis.

Let me see what other gems I can find.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bilk22

I always get worried about charities when they start handing out blankets, coffee cups, hats, etc, for your donation. That always irritated me. I am not giving money to get something in return. That is what stores are for.

The two charities I give to; Puppies behind Bars and The Guide Dog Foundation for the Blind just send a thank you note. I'm good with that.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I just get really upset when politicians send people to war,celebrate their sacrifices in public patting them on the head for a photo OP ,then worked overtime gutting whatever benefits coming to them, but shore-up the arms manufactures and related industries with truly wasteful spending ,and I promise I won't curse but these ..$%*#* took it a step further by exploiting them for their personal gains by pretending to help,just leave them the @#$% alone if you ain't gonna do jack!

top topics

join