It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Couple Dies Just Hours Apart After 62 Years Of Marriage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I don't really have any other reason for sharing this than it's just a damned good... feel good story. It's nice to see such devotion and love amidst all the turmoil of what is going on around the world and in our backyards as well. It's easy to get lost in that and in turn lose some faith in humanity if you aren't careful. What better way to regain some of that faith than to read about something they write about in books far more often than it actually happens?

A California couple married for nearly 62 years spent their final moments together, dying just hours apart from each other.

“It’s absolutely beautiful and the story is beautiful,” granddaughter Melissa Sloan of Bakersfield told KERO-TV.

Don and Maxine Simpson had initially met decades ago in a bowling alley. They decided to wed just a few years later.

“All Don wanted was to be with his beautiful wife. He adored my grandmother, loved her to the end of the Earth,” she told KERO.

Two weeks ago, Don’s health deteriorated after he fell and broke his hip. At around the same time, Maxine’s cancer progressed.

Sloan moved them into her home so they could be with each other. Photographs captured them holding hands in their final days together.

“I knew in my heart this is what’s supposed to happen. Grandma and grandpa are supposed to be together and grandma and grandpa are going to die together,” she said.

Sloan was right.

“I could hear on the monitor, she took her last breath and I came to check. She had passed,” she told KERO.

Maxine had passed away.

“I walked them out with her body, walked back in to check on grandpa and he quit breathing as soon as her body left the room. He left with her, and they passed four hours apart from each other,” she said.

The two had left the world together.

“It’s just amazing. It really is amazing. It’s a true love story,”

A love story indeed.

You can read more here:

www.theblaze.com...

edit on 8/6/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   
I've known two pairs of great-grandparents. Both pairs were married since they were teenagers.
Neither lasted a year after his mate passed.
One began taking in every stray cat that showed up and had probably around 20 cats.
I made his last breakfast for him. He just calmly looked at me at said "I'm dying."
Fell right over. He was 88 years old and still had a full head of red hair.
The other spent near a year in a nursing home. He escaped 3 times.
Every time he went straight to the nearest bar and got plowed. I believe he made it to 89.
I used to visit him and he thought I was my uncle that is many years older than me.
It was sad, but I played along. I smuggled him a few beers whenever I visited.
Losing the love of your life is very stressful.
I suppose I should be thankful I experienced it while I was younger and in stronger health.
I am crying.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
Beautiful.
I wish we could find this kind of love for each other, I mean for everyone, by everyone. Imagine the world if that were to be the case.

We all fight and argue over our differing views. But if we really knew each other like people who have lived together for all these years do. We would all probably have this kind of love for each over. I would like to think so.
edit on 6-8-2014 by pennydrops because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 04:26 AM
link   
This same story was going around last year.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:03 AM
link   
my grandparents a few weeks apart nothing wrong medically with my nan just died apparently i beleve the brain does have a vote sometimes

both in their 60s so not old either
edit on 6-8-2014 by IAMAMOG because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So sad. I think they should be put into an embrace and buried in the same casket.

My mom and dad were married for 50 years and she died last Feb. right in front of me, my wife and dad. Now, I've watched my dad break into pieces. He was a strong man all his life and now he is shattered and showing no signs of acceptance or recovery. I honestly think I am now watching him die. I figured he would've went right after her.

S&F

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

i am sorry to hear that mate my sympathies

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My Mom & Dad died two & a half days apart.
Both naturally, unexpectedly.
She was 66, he was 69.
It shook our whole town up!

We had a double wake & funeral.
Dad was the only person I ever saw who was laid out
& had a smile on their face!
Everyone said Mom wouldn't leave without Dad!

Since they died,
I've noticed other times where it's happened & been in the news.
A couple of times in our town too, but a week apart.

Now they are saying, there is something called, "Broken Heart Syndrome"!

www.hopkinsmedicine.org...

That might explain some of the incidences,
but I don't think it explains them all!
Science & medicine are far from knowing everything!

"Love knows no reason, no boundaries, no distance.
It has a sole intention of bringing people together to a time called forever."
Unknown
WOQ

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shakawkaw

Not the same one.
Check the date.
The memorial service will be held August 21st.
There have been similar stories though.
WOQ

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: wasobservingquietly

originally posted by: Shakawkaw

Not the same one.
Check the date.
The memorial service will be held August 21st.
There have been similar stories though.
WOQ

Thanks for pointing that out. It's not the first story to come out about this sort of thing but it is not the same one from last year.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I had a couple of dogs that grew up together from the time they were puppies.
One of them died after they had been together for about 12 years.
The other just stopped eating for a few weeks and looked like he was going to die.
I got another dog...a starved out stray in bad shape.
They got along great and both started eating like dog food was the best thing ever.
It would appear that not only humans can die from "broken heart," but that the best medicine is to find another mate.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
I had a couple of dogs that grew up together from the time they were puppies.
One of them died after they had been together for about 12 years.
The other just stopped eating for a few weeks and looked like he was going to die.
I got another dog...a starved out stray in bad shape.
They got along great and both started eating like dog food was the best thing ever.
It would appear that not only humans can die from "broken heart," but that the best medicine is to find another mate.

I believe that too. A couple of years back I was in ICU in the hospital with pneumonia. I was admitted for 8 days. When I came home my chihuahua had lost a couple of pounds at least. My husband was feeding her daily, but she would not eat anything at all. Nothing. She wouldn't play with him either. She sat in my chair and didn't get up unless she was getting a sip of water or going to the bathroom. I figure that she would have died had I not come home. I know we love our animals immensely, but it never occurred to me that they could return those feelings that strongly.

edit on 8/7/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join