It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hawaii quake swarm plus Hurricannes.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a bunch of quakes, 3 mag type of thing, any coincidence ya think?

www.smithsonianmag.com...

edit on 6-8-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: canucks555

The Big Island experiences thousands of earthquakes each year. They are due to the magma of the volcanoes moving closer to the surface. A few of the BI earthquakes are due to tectonic forces but the vast majority are due to the volcanic features of the island.

I've not read anything that indicates that hurricanes have an effect on volcanic earthquakes but who knows?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiteNGale2
a reply to: canucks555

The Big Island experiences thousands of earthquakes each year. They are due to the magma of the volcanoes moving closer to the surface. A few of the BI earthquakes are due to tectonic forces but the vast majority are due to the volcanic features of the island.

I've not read anything that indicates that hurricanes have an effect on volcanic earthquakes but who knows?

The storm surge would raise sea levels by a few meters. That should add a bit more pressure on the ocean floor. But air pressure drops as well, so that would relieve some pressure.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

The Irene-triggered aftershocks could have happened because the fault system that had ruptured in Virginia has memory—that is, the fact that it slipped so recently makes it easier for it to do so again. The idea of a natural system having memory is one that is becoming increasingly important for scientists trying to understand natural disasters.

interesting stuff.
edit on 6-8-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: NiteNGale2

Nevertheless, they can shake the ground and could set off a chain of events leading to a much bigger one.

It has happened.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: johndeere2020

4.5 just now, that's something you don't see every day there

Earthquake rips through Hawaii as two hurricanes race toward The Big Island A 4.5-magnitude quake hit Hawaii Thursday morning, as residents are bracing for two Hurricanes to hit over the weekend. Reports of damage and injuries were not immediately known, but there is no threat of a tsunami. Read more at www.nydailynews.com...

www.nydailynews.com...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

edit on 7-8-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

“We have an earthquake this morning,” she added. “Now the sun is coming out and we’ll have a hurricane at 4 p.m. No one is enjoying this.” Hurricane Iselle is expected to strike the Big Island on Thursday night, followed by Hurricane Julio. Hawaii hasn’t been directly hit by a hurricane in 22 years and, according to ABC meteorologists, this will be the first to ever impact the Big Island. When asked what’s next, Cameron replied: “Locusts.”

time.com...

pretty much everyone felt this quake. Hate me or love me, I nailed it.

*also I apologies for the misspelling of "Hurricane" in the thread title. That was the beer typing. lol.
edit on 7-8-2014 by canucks555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I thought it was weird how here is this huge empty ocean with only Hawaii in the middle of it, and from so far away two hurricanes on a direct trajectory for the islands. Just a few a few degrees to either side and it would have missed the islands, but instead they were on a direct trajectory. Just looked sort of strange. Not sure how often that happens.

Actually just looked it up.. first hurricane (or tropical storm) to hit the islands in 22 years!

top topics

join