It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My mini me chef in the making :)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   
My son is 14 months and has to be in the kitchen watching me cook. I let him stir or flip food items when he can, with my help of course. He helps me water the fresh herbs and will help pick them when we need them. He seems to like the kitchen, which makes me happy!

Well tonight we made a pizza. The crust was pre-made and I had some sauce I made for spaghetti earlier in the week. We picked some fresh basil and cut some tomatoes. I put him on the counter and helped him brush the crust with olive oil and put the sauce on. He used the hands on approach lol but it worked. I then let him have at the basil, tomato and cheese! He loved eating the cheese and tomato! He was actually not as messy as I thought he would be. When it was done he even clapped!

A little tomato

More tomato

Mmmm

A little Italian seasoning

He was looking for more seasoning lol he was too funny! He was pretty serious about his pizza.

He devoured it when it was done! I cut it up into pieces and let him have at it!

I look cooking with him even though he is still little. I hope when he is older in a few years he likes cooking with mommy. He will sit on the floor with my pots and pans and stir with the spoons. It's so cute!

He makes me smile every day all day.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ha!

What a little gem.

Definitely encourage that. When hes older thats going to come in real handly, partners LOVE a man that can cook.

Obviously theres the cost saving when you make it all by yourself.

Perhaps next try some pasta (maybe keep him away from the boiling pan of course), but definitely show and explain what you are doing and why every time. As obvious as it might be to you, at 14 months hes still a baby really - that talking helps a HUGE amount, i can attend to this personally.

Not so much with cooking, but my mother read to me and talked to me all the time, even if i wasnt listening - i have zero doubt i wouldnt be the man i am without her constant talking to me.

EDIT: obviously this didnt help my typing ha! typos corrected.

edit on b2020853 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Great stuff!

My daughter gets my grandson involved with the cooking too, at two years old he learnt how to use and read the scales, a great way to get them learning about numbers! She also gets him to read the labels, a great way to get them reading!
Schools got nothing on a mum and a kitchen when it comes to learning

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

This brought back memories for me, my Mom taught me how to cook and inspired me to be who I am today by doing this. I in turn have been teaching my boys the same way. My oldest now 11 is incredible in the kitchen, I even take him along when I have events to cater.
Keep it up! You never know what kind of passion you could ignite!
S&F

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

He has helped with pasta both boxed and homemade! I've even had him help while making bread and I do explain what I'm doing. He just sits there and listens and watches. It's really cute.

When he was still a baby baby he was in the kitchen in a Bumbo chair chilling on the counter watching me.

I have a gate to the kitchen because I don't always want him in there esp if I'm doing a lot of things and moving around a lot. He tends to empty all my Tupperware onto the floor and then the dog comes in and rolls around lol so a gate was needed. My son does not like when he is blocked from the kitchen. He will shake the gate and try to out his leg through. It's hilarious.

Yea I always tell him that she he's older the ladies will love that he cooks. My mom always cooked which is more than likely why I do plus I love it. Making things from scratch is just awesome!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
Great stuff!

My daughter gets my grandson involved with the cooking too, at two years old he learnt how to use and read the scales, a great way to get them learning about numbers! She also gets him to read the labels, a great way to get them reading!
Schools got nothing on a mum and a kitchen when it comes to learning

Awe that's a good idea! I'll definitely keep that in mind when he is older.

My nephew was also always in the kitchen with my sister. I remember when he was like 5 he was cutting veggies. My husband thought it was inappropriate but he was monitored of course and did it exactly how he was taught. He is pretty good in the kitchen at 7! If you teach them young and the right way they will listen and learn. I know that's how I learned!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: awh666

This brought back memories for me, my Mom taught me how to cook and inspired me to be who I am today by doing this. I in turn have been teaching my boys the same way. My oldest now 11 is incredible in the kitchen, I even take him along when I have events to cater.
Keep it up! You never know what kind of passion you could ignite!
S&F

That's awesome!

Yup you never know! He also loves music which is also something I have on constantly so I guess I could ignite a little musician or chef!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Thats great to hear, looks like you are a pretty good parent!

Hes quite a little boss already, hes going to be a nightmare for the school teachers with how much hes going to know hehehe!!

Just leave out the chemistry info for a while, one of my parents told me a little TOO much before i got to high/secondary school, kinda got me into some mischief!
So heads up on that one!

Kinda had some explosive mishaps, no one was hurt or anything, but i certainly got into trouble over it HA

edit on b3737820 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
You know I'm a chef and head baker...

I'll hire him in a minute!

Well, maybe 16 years but...Maybe I can take out some futures investments?

lol

Peace

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Haha! I was actually looking forward to chemistry sets and model rockets. I mean I can enjoy them too hehe.

I found a telescope/microscope set at the garbage recently at my apartment complex. It was sitting in front of the dumpster. It has never been used! It's nothing fancy but perfect for when he is a little older. It was a great garbage score!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
You know I'm a chef and head baker...

I'll hire him in a minute!

Well, maybe 16 years but...Maybe I can take out some futures investments?

lol

Peace

Haha awesome! I'll keep that in mind hehe.

What kind of foods to you enjoy cooking since you're a chef? Do you bake all foods or just breads? I'm ok with baking lol I find it a tad tedious at times and would much rather make an elaborate meal than cookies or some dessert. I guess it's because I can eat the meal and not feel fat but I can't eat all the cookies without sugar shock. Lol I have made Oreos and cheesecake, love Martha Stewarts recipe for the one you cook, much better than the non cooking ones IMO. I love baking bread, that is he extent of my baking. My sister is more into baking where I'm more into meals and stuff like that.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Haha! I was actually looking forward to chemistry sets and model rockets. I mean I can enjoy them too hehe.

I found a telescope/microscope set at the garbage recently at my apartment complex. It was sitting in front of the dumpster. It has never been used! It's nothing fancy but perfect for when he is a little older. It was a great garbage score!

What you need to put on the list is lego.

I used to spend HOURS with my father building things, we'd decide on somthing and then try to make it.

No doubt it helped me to enhance my mental mechanical ability's - i was building Lego Technic at 9 years old and knew how to correct mechanical mistakes if i missed somthing on the directions.

Great fun, great learning power. Helps me every day do my job as a IT engineer, i can jury rig just about anything round the house too.

EDIT: i asked for a chemistry set when i was, i cant remeber exactly under ten for sure, boy that was alot of fun. when i used to get into somthing, regardless if it was for fun or just doing a few experiments, it was good for me and kept me focused and busy for hours.

edit on b5151857 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Pizza Boss

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

What you need to put on the list is lego.

He has the big version of Legos and he loves them! When he finally got them to stack he started clapping. Lol he would get so frustrated until he finally figured it out. I just told him the other day when he is older he will get real Legos, right now he'd probably try and eat them. Lol my step dad built a Lego table for my nephew when he was 5! He even put pics on the under part of the table since he would lay under it. The top was all Legos as a base so he just had to build on that. My little man will get one when he is 5 too!

I used to spend HOURS with my father building things, we'd decide on somthing and then try to make it.

No doubt it helped me to enhance my mental mechanical ability's - i was building Lego Technic at 9 years old and knew how to correct mechanical mistakes if i missed somthing on the directions.

I loved Legos as a kid myself too. I'll definitely be playing right along next to him. I think Legos are better than Legos on a tablet. It's just different and many people keep telling me to get the app and I just don't want him to learn that way. It's not really the same as hands on building and what skills you learn and work on.

I was also always good at taking things apart and figuring out how it worked or fixing it if needed.

EDIT: i asked for a chemistry set when i was, i cant remeber exactly under ten for sure, boy that was alot of fun. when i used to get into somthing, regardless if it was for fun or just doing a few experiments, it was good for me and kept me focused and busy for hours.

I was never allowed one as a kid but when I got older I had one. I do remember getting a microscope when I was about 9. It was a Christmas gift and once I opened that I didn't want to open anything else. I was I heaven! I remember getting scolded for cutting my finger to get blood for the slide. Lol oh fun times.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   

You dont want to involve the ipad, hands on - develops dexterity as well and mental ability.

Whats the use of learning how to build things, that, if asked to, you couldnt actually built with your hands?

Get them used to technology sure, certainly important for the future, but theres no replacement for the real thing in your hands - something you can feel taste and touch.

Like you could read how to fix a bike, but if you cant use a screwdriver its rather pointless.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
That is one gorgeous little boy you have there! Look at those eyes! Wow! And he cooks too! LOL What a lucky Mommy you are.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I know we are always mentioning it....but THOSE EYES!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:15 PM
link   
It looks like his left hand is going towards the bottle in the back in the last picture. Learning to be a master chef already?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

You dont want to involve the ipad, hands on - develops dexterity as well and mental ability.

Whats the use of learning how to build things, that, if asked to, you couldnt actually built with your hands?

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I understand my husband wanting him to learn technology but I want him to learn hands on first, like you said if he has to do it without a tablet then what? I get that tablets are the new educational tool but I'm old school you could say. I think hands on in the true sense is best. A tablet is just pushing buttons. He will have access to a computer when he is older. I have an original iMac G3 that has his name on it. It will be perfect for when he needs to learn the computer! I have about 100 program discs to go with it. My husbands dad was a big Apple fan and had saved every single program disc from the 90s on! So they will come in handy one day.

Get them used to technology sure, certainly important for the future, but theres no replacement for the real thing in your hands - something you can feel taste and touch.

Agreed!!

Like you could read how to fix a bike, but if you cant use a screwdriver its rather pointless.

My point exactly!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Every woman will tell ya, ain't nothing more attractive than a man that can cook..lol
Except maybe one that does laundry..

You are lucky to have that little guy around so enjoy it while it lasts. My girl started 6th grade today, where did the time go?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join