It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Bolivian Golden Bat - New Species

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I was about to go bed when I found this one, I know I won't be able to sleep if I don't share it with you first my friends. Such a beautiful creature, so vivid color. The gold of the Incas got wings.

RAW TRANSLATION :

The legend of King Midas and his greed for gold has been named (in the scientific name) a new species of bat discovered in Bolivia. The remarkable uniqueness of Myotis midastactus is the golden color of hair covering much of the body of this unique flying mammal. Details of the discovery were published in an article published by the Journal of Mammalogy.

"We describe midastactus Myotis sp. Nov., A new species of bat of the savannas of Bolivia. Differences in skin color and in cranial and external features definitely distinguish it from all other species of the genus Myotis present in the team led by Professor Ricardo Moratelli, the Oswaldo Cruz (Rio de Janeiro, Brazil) and Don Wilosn, the Smithsonian Institution (Washington, USA) Foundation.

Moratelli and Wilson work on the identification of this species for three years from specimens preserved in museums but so far have not been able to study any animal life.

"The new species is morphologically allied to M. simus, discovered in 1901, and other species in the Myotis group. Myotis midastactus is endemic to Bolivia, where also 6 more species of this group are," say the researchers.

Myotis midastactus lives in Savannah Bolivia, feeds on small insects and, like many of its congeners, sleep all day hiding in caves or cavities formed by rocks or tree trunks. (Taken from La Vanguardia)

www.erbol.com.bo...

Adding English source here : www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
S&F for the share OP... He/she is absolutely adorable. I know some might disagree, but beauty is in the eye if the beholder.

As long as we have existed in this planet, I think it is amazing that we are still finding new life amongst us! It makes the imagination run wild just thinking of what might exist out there that we have yet to find.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It's nice to hear some good news about bats. These days it's usually not so great. Bats really are some of the coolest animals on Earth and the fur colour on this species is really spectacular.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
new species no it is not ,,,its a bat

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Yay a new Batty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love bats!!!!

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: stuthealien

I think you didn't read the thread or not familiar with the terms.

top topics

join