It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Gang Amasses Over a Billion Internet Passwords

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I just saw this on my local Fox channel, but the title was from the New York Times.

A Russian crime ring has amassed the largest known collection of stolen Internet credentials, including 1.2 billion username and password combinations and more than 500 million email addresses, security researchers say.

www.nytimes.com...

Here is the Fox Report

Report: Russian crime ring in massive Internet data heist

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I was warning about a Russian cyber attack since earlier this year.

You’re the Next Victim of the Cyber Wars

I’m upset at all the steps I’m going to have to take now, but these wide spread hacks that are coming from criminals, terrorists and foreign countries, and the black market sale of that information, that worries me more. It is going to foul up our economy really bad, really quick. Add some infrastructure hacking attacks from a rival foreign country at the right moment and our economy is toast.

There seems to be something bigger to this, I suspect that darkpos may have been developed and distributed to the criminal networks by a foreign country that may introduce more hacks to weaken the U.S. financially. The damage gets done and so many scammers are involved that it would not likely point back at the real perps. Blackpos is said to have originated in Russia or specifically the Ukraine. Seems like things have been heating up with Russia and the Ukraine lately hasn't it?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   
As long as they don't mess with my ATS account ...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
so 1 in 7 have had a password taken i find that hard to believe

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
is this a scare tactic to get every to rush and change all there passwords while the navy key logger keeps track?

500million sounds like something Dr evil would say

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMAMOG
so 1 in 7 have had a password taken i find that hard to believe

Here is another quote from my thread "You're the Next Victim of the Cyber Wars" that gives you an idea of how big the Target and Neiman Marcus darkpos hack was.

A friend of mine I talked to about this brought up the fact that the United States has a total population of 317 million. So, if we just consider the 110 million admitted by Target, we have over one third of the U.S. population. How many of that 317 million have a credit/debit card? Think about that one for a minute. People under 20 years of age made up over a quarter of the U.S. population (27.3%) close to 86 million. This brings down the figure down to close to 231 million possible card holders. The Target scam netted close to half of that. Now add in all the other millions involved in the other hacks, we are all deeply screwed.

This is from Brian Krebs

The people (or person) behind a website called ssndob.ms, or just SSNDOB, is the source of the attack, according to Krebs. He discovered SSNDOB marketing itself on “underground cybercrime forums” as a source for people who want to purchase “SSNs, birthdays, and other personal data on any U.S. resident.” Customers could pay as little as $0.50 for some records, while full background checks ran between $5 and $15.

Krebs on Security - krebsonsecurity.com...
edit on 6-8-2014 by MichiganSwampBuck because: added last comments

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: mindseye1609
is this a scare tactic to get every to rush and change all there passwords while the navy key logger keeps track?

500million sounds like something Dr evil would say

It could have a connection to a key logger, or a number of variations, plus a dozen or so more hacks.

The Russian hackers are the cyber Doctor Evil for sure.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The problem with this is literally the amount of data. Billions? Ok, but not likely usable within a persons or even a group of one thousand. This amount of data is only usable by a program or cpu capable of handling such an extraordinary task. Which is the conspiracy.

My mind still thinks it may be a false flag attempt to have our "OMG GOV'T PLEASE STEP IN AND SAVE US!" ...moment by which the overzealous US gov't will incur more regulation or even another ploy/scare tactic to engineer a disaster and reach for more control.

And you people want electronic currency? Seriously?

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Time for a new method of authentication in the IT world I think.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
probably worth getting in the habit of periodically changing the password for those of you that bank or whatever funny how the nerds have become the bullys haha

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
That would help in the short term, but if this is a cyber attack by Russian experts that is distributed to a crime network, then they would be right to work on a new hack before the new fix is in.

There needs to be a whole system change for sure, but what is fool proof much less Russian spy proof?

join