It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama announces $33B in commitments for Africa - SERIOUSLY?!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
When will ANY US president ever get their priorities straight?!

So, Obama is giving Africa $33 BILLION just to "establish an economic foothold in Africa"?
How about using that money for, I don't know, maybe something a little more logical, like taking care of, um, US AMERICANS RIGHT HERE?!!!

We're "supposedly" $17 TRILLION in debt, our country is LITERALLY falling apart (just look at Detroit), we can't even secure our own borders, healthcare is FUBAR'ED, everyone is on welfare, etc etc etc. I could go on and on... AND ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS WAR AND GIVING MONEY WE DON'T HAVE TO OTHER COUNTRIES!

I'm sorry, but this is really making me mad! /FACEPALM

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the U.S. must do more to boost its financial foothold in Africa as economies on the continent grow stronger.

Obama is speaking at a U.S.-Africa summit in Washington that has brought together business leaders and politicians. In conjunction with the summit, the White House is announcing $33 billion in commitments aimed at increasing U.S. economic ties with Africa.

Obama announces $33B in commitments for Africa

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: LrdRedhawk

If there is one thing I think all sides can agree on, since we're already bleeding money and heavily in debt, maybe we should stop sending it all overseas. I may not be a big fan of government spending in general. But I would be far more willing to spend it here where it counts than spending it on other peoples problems.
edit on pTue, 05 Aug 2014 15:26:54 -050020145America/Chicago2014-08-05T15:26:54-05:0031vx8 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The UK does something similar.

The money that goes to such places often doesn't reach anywhere it needs to, instead reaching only the pockets of corrupt officials and already rich CEO'S etc.

How that helps either those needy in such places or those from the 'investing' lands whose taxes pay for it is beyond comprehension.

Boosting big business more like.

www.bbc.co.uk...

The deals announced on Tuesday included a $5bn partnership between private-equity firm Blackstone and Aliko Dangote, Africa's richest businessman, for energy infrastructure projects in sub-Saharan Africa, as well as more investments in Mr Obama's Power Africa initiative.

edit on 5-8-2014 by theabsolutetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

The bulk of the commitments came from private-sector companies, including Coca-Cola and General Electric, underscoring Africa's growing appeal to businesses. The continent is home to six of the world's fastest-growing economies and a rapidly expanding middle class with increased spending power.

Lets not forget this part, the 33b is not coming entirely from the US government.
This is big biz looking to make some money off of africa like china and russia are doing

The White House also touted another $12 billion in new commitments for Obama's Power Africa initiative from the private sector, World Bank and the government of Sweden. Obama announced the Power Africa initiative last summer, setting a goal of expanding electricity access to at least 20 million new households and commercial entities.

I may be reading this wrong but it looks like the gov is sending 12b, far to much IMO, but if we are going to give every other country the cheddar, about time we give it to a country that actually needs it

So, Obama is giving Africa $33 BILLION just to "establish an economic foothold in Africa"?

So this is completely false, as it is not obama handing 33b over to africa.
edit on thTue, 05 Aug 2014 15:48:52 -0500America/Chicago820145280 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Whats the problem?
He's just helping out a Nigerian prince. Prolly sent his bank account number to!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I never understand why a person would post a link and then rant about when the clearly never read the story they linked to or just failed to understand it. 14 Billion of that money is coming from the private sector from companies like Coca-Cola and GE. Now do you think that companies are commiting money to Africa that the are doing so to be nice or because they expect to see a big return on that investment? The same goes for the US in the other half of that aid. For example the US will give 50 million towards building 100 million dollar a road project to some mines. In return a US company will get that road contract and US companies will run those mines. When all is said and done the US will turn a large profit for both the nation from taxes on those US companies and workers. It is amazing hoe people do not seem to understand how and why foriegn aid works. Nobody is just handing out money.

The US like any company runs on a deficit. Sure if the US really wanted to they could sell off a fraction our minerial rights and pay day the debt off today. Of course that would be short sighted thinking as those right will be worth more and more every year. The debt like many things is a political tool.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
its ridiculous how we vote for a president.. ( who is never the person they promote themselves to be ) who then decides where and how to spend the money ( which is rarely ever in the countries best interest ).

rather than vote for a guy that decides where the money goes.. why shouldn't we be able to just vote where the money goes in the first place? and with 100% full transparency on how it is spent...

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This sounds like ransom money to me. Send Africa $33B or they send us more Ebola 'patients'. Some we might even know about...

We should stay out of Africa... Let China have it!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Maybe at some point, people will start to get the idea that Africa is a messed up place because the people there have messed up cultures? It's not that they don't get money and investment from both governments and private businesses, it's that they squander all of it and piss it away. Read this and cry.

A combination of red tape and disputes over payments mean Sunesson’s Slamson Ghana Ltd. is running far below capacity, he says. Most of the 140 tankers dump the contents of Accra’s toilets each day into the Gulf of Guinea at a foul-smelling dune known as Lavender Hill. The lagoon nearby is so polluted that scientists says most life-forms can’t survive. The slum nearby has earned the nickname Sodom and Gomorrah.

This is an article that's related to what you're talking about.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   

On the flip side, spending money abroad not only generates good will (good for future trade) but generates trade on it's own anyway - it's an investment to boost the economy of the recipient, so that they can trade with you more.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
The UK does something similar.

The money that goes to such places often doesn't reach anywhere it needs to, instead reaching only the pockets of corrupt officials and already rich CEO'S etc.

How that helps either those needy in such places or those from the 'investing' lands whose taxes pay for it is beyond comprehension.

Boosting big business more like.

And that is exactly what it is meant to do - none of this is hidden, really.

Think of it this way, we send "development aid", they build roads/mines/factories/schools, we get access to those industries, the locals get employment, the UK gets additional tax receipts or jobs, everyone benefits.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: stumason

On the flip side, spending money abroad not only generates good will (good for future trade) but generates trade on it's own anyway - it's an investment to boost the economy of the recipient, so that they can trade with you more.

Yes, but how many decades have we been "boosting" Africa with nothing to show for it? We invested in the Asian cultures, and they have productive cultures that took advantage of those offers. Everyone benefitted. But with Africa ... when do we admit defeat? We've been boosting them for far longer.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Obama is only playing his current hand in the Big Card Game with the big boys on a global level. He's shooting for winner take all.

He is using OUR money to bet with. No sweat off his butt...it's all a gamble for him.

As long as we let him hold OUR purse strings...he'll keep betting.

Des

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Wasn't this announced the same day as $225 Million to Israel Iron Dome missile system?

Think of how much this money could do if put to infrastructure or *gasp*..
Fixing/shielding our power grid?

Might as well get them to stop pumping fluoride into the water supply while were at it.
edit on 5-8-2014 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
When you see how much China is investing in Africa you'd understand why everyone is looking to get a foot in the door as Africa is the future of manufacturing.

China isn't going to be able to make iPods for $0.03 forever, the world is looking to make Africa the sweatshop of the future the way that Asia proper is the sweatshop of the present.

Derek

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

But it is primarily private money that is going over there, don't let the misleading title scare you, Obama is not giving Africa 33b

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
He has relatives there, I wonder if any of them are going to be distributing this money. I wonder if anyone here is going to be monitoring where this money goes and what it is used for. We should know who is going to have greasy palms in advance.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
This is a typical response from a government who comes to believe money can solve anything because the only problem which must ever exist is a lack of resources and cash to accomplish something.

33 Billion in loans, loan support and the corporate rush? Are they absolutely evil or what????

This would be like going to a homeless shelter, handing a case of $100,000 in $20 bills to each person and driving off to read about the outcome later. Any intelligent person could predict without effort, nothing good would come of it. Too much to stay peaceful and not end up in conflict, but not near enough if money is supposed to help. This is perspective.

Wikipedia ranks of African nations by GDP

You have to get to a nation ranking 13 out of 50 before you even find a nation producing a GDP equal to this announced package value. Money cannot buy happiness. It sure can buy misery though. Nations of it.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Think of it this way, we send "development aid", they build roads/mines/factories/schools, we get access to those industries, the locals get employment, the UK gets additional tax receipts or jobs, everyone benefits.

a reply to: stumason
I Hate to Think of it That Way,,,,, The Local Get Employment,,, We Build Their Middle Class as Our's Disappears,
No thank you, If Obama and his Big Business Buddies want to do some Good, Start At Home!

WASHINGTON (AP) — Seeking to strengthen America's financial foothold in Africa, President Barack Obama announced $33 billion in commitments Tuesday aimed at shifting U.S. ties with Africa beyond humanitarian aid and toward more equal economic partnerships.

The bulk of the commitments came from private-sector companies, including Coca-Cola and General Electric, underscoring Africa's growing appeal to businesses. The continent is home to six of the world's fastest-growing economies and a rapidly expanding middle class with increased spending power.

Yet Obama noted that U.S. trade with the entire African continent is about the same as its trade ties with Brazil and that just about one percent of U.S. exports go to sub-Saharan Africa.

Your link
Like I said, we don't need to Export Jobs or any Work and are we Really Good Friends with Brazil, it seems to me, every one Blames America for their Problems, so lets just Leave Them Alone!
America First!!!

And there are a couple of reasons why I think America can be central in this process. First of all, American companies continue to be an enormous force in the global economy, and in talking to US companies, there is a real recognition of opportunity there. Secondly, I do think that the American traditions of transparency, accountability, rule of law, property rights are ingredients that are critical to unlocking Africa’s future

You should have been more concerned with getting your friends in Big Business to Unlock America's Middle Class!

The Economist: The other advantage the Chinese have is they don’t have Congress. Well, they have a congress but it’s somehow more compliant, to use your word this morning. We could both agree that one of the great things would be to have more free trade in Africa if you could push people. But you face the danger that Congress may give up on the Export-Import Bank and may also get in the way of the African Growth and Opportunity Act (AGOA). These could frustrate your policy.

Mr Obama: There’s no doubt that—

The Economist: You’d rather be a dictator. (Laughter.)

Mr Obama: Let’s just make sure that we note that that was not my quote. (Laughter.)

Obama talks to the Economist

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join