It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moldova Wants Russia To Withdraw Troops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Moldova Wants Russia To Withdraw Troops

CHISINAU, Moldova—Moldova’s foreign ministry has called on Russia to withdraw troops and weapons from a separatist pro-Russian enclave in the east of the former Soviet republic.

The ministry appealed to Russia on Tuesday to pull out some 1,500 troops and thousands of tons of weapons from Trans-Dniester in accordance with commitments made at a 1999 summit of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe.

Russia on Monday accused Moldova of trying to destabilize the region and force out Russian troops.

Click link for remainder of article..

I see Russia is using the same tactic in Moldova that they are using in Ukraine. I think Russia should withdraw its troops illegally occupying the Trans-Dniester region. Before people complain Russia signed an agreement in 1999 that required the Russians to remove its forces.

To the Pro Russians who constantly claim russia does not use its economy as a weapon against former SSRs -

Russia is angry that Moldova signed an association agreement in June with the European Union; in August Moscow placed an embargo on Moldovan fruit.

The argument that Russia allows nations to freely associate is untrue as well.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

I think Putin is gambling that the US and EU will not chance a confrontation with him. In his mind the US is weak and broke and the EU depends too much on Russia's natural resources. Right now, the more he pushes the West the more popular he gets at home. Only time will tell if he will over play his cards or not.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: joemoe
I think Putin is gambling that the US and EU will not chance a confrontation with him. In his mind the US is weak and broke and the EU depends too much on Russia's natural resources.

Well, considering the EU and the US is pushing forward with sanctions that are impacting the Russian economy and inconveniencing his inner circle (the billionaires who have benefitted from Putin being in power), I would say he's gambled and lost.

Regards

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Yep Russia did it in Georgia, Ukraine and Moldova. As soon as those states look to the West they suddenly are accused of being facists and of persecuting Russians. Russian armed Rebels pop up declare a new nation and Russian "peace keepers" move in to secure it. Then again what has Russia got to offer these places to stay pro Russia, poverty and threats and that is about it.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Russia's economy is crumbling, over 27,000 Russian tourists are stranded abroad due to one of Russia's largest travel agency going under. The Russian currency is tumbling, thousand of Ukrainian refugees are flowing into Russia, the Malaysian airline equals Putin is screwed. NATO has formally threatened Russia, history will repeat itself. Besides all that Russia lost a $50 billion court case because Putin screwed a Russian oil tycoon illegally the world court ruled.

I did nukes In Germany during the cold war and Russian equipment is crap and unreliable. It will be another training mission like Iraq and Afghanistan.

top topics

join