It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. general killed, other troops wounded in Afghanistan attack, say U.S. officials

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   

(CNN) -- An American general was killed Tuesday after a shooter wearing an Afghan military uniform opened fire at a training facility in Kabul, U.S. officials told CNN's Jim Sciutto.

At least 15 coalition troops, including other Americans, were wounded in the attack at Camp Qargha, Sciutto was told.

Earlier the German military said one person was killed and 14 were injured. One of those wounded was a German brigadier general. The German military said the incident occurred during a "key leader" event.

CNN

This sounds like a huge success for the Taliban, a American General killed and a German Brigadier General wounded. I didn't see this posted yet. This whole region seems hopelessly bent on war, Afghanistan has been in a constant state of war since at least 1980. Seems like there is no end in sight.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire
You are correct about the constant war thing, but it dates much further back than 1980.
King Darius conquered the Kabul Valley in the 6th century BCE. Since then, it has been one crew after another trying to subdue them.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I got an idea, lets send $10's of millions more guns there, that will fix it!

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Theres good reason why afghanistan is the graveyard of empires ..

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It all sounds so civilized.....

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Is there any clear ID on the shooter?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

We should just settle back and watch them fight among themselves, because that is what they historically have done when no outside influence was warring with them.
We don't even have to sell them guns, they make those themselves.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

We should just settle back and watch them fight among themselves, because that is what they historically have done when no outside influence was warring with them.

Glass 'em....go Murica.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Theres good reason why afghanistan is the graveyard of empires ..

was going to mention the same thing... even Alexander the Great had a tough time there with a full on Invading conquest hungry army.

It's quite sad what happened to that country, a friend of mines dad fled shortly before the Russian invasion and he said it was a wonderful place as a kid. Now look at it.
And to be honest, all the troops who were in Iraq should have been in Afghanistan purging all Taliban and rebuilding the country.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Glass 'em....go Murica.

I don't know...
It seems like such a waste of fissile material.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Glass 'em....go Murica.

I don't know...
It seems like such a waste of fissile material.

Guess that would depend on how many it took?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This is really huge. Generals rarely face death, just the hapless foot soldiers. I wonder if Obama will care or go on vacation.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

An American general was killed Tuesday after a shooter wearing an Afghan military uniform opened fire at a training facility in Kabul,

Another "insider" ambush.

Current issue Taliban "smart weapon".

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
My prediction: nothing will change. At least as far as US troops being there...I'm sure the troops lives and routines will be on high(er) alert, but that's all. We're not going to declare actual "war" let alone nuke anyone.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

only Genghis khan saw success in that region historically and i think was one of the only people to occupy it with out drowning their own blood
edit on 5-8-2014 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Was it a hit to try and drag the US to bomb the crap out of some place? Or was it legitimate? If legitimate then I bet the killer is "set" for greasing an officer of that rank.

new topics

top topics

join