It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famed Japanese stem-cell scientist dies in apparent suicide amid retraction scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sad ending to this story. Early this year a game changing rearch by a young Japanese researcher on how stem cell could be produced by exposing regular cells to mild adverse conditions was published, in April it was known the woman faked all the research but the lab stand by her and tried to verify the results. last month all the authors of the article retracted the research as they could not replicate the results.

Now one of the senior co authors of the paper commit suicide

On July 2, a taciturn but brilliant Japanese stem-cell scientist named Yoshiki Sasai wrote a plaintive letter in which he expressed profound remorse. The 52-year-old, who co-wrote two trumpeted stem-cell articles in the prestigious journal Nature, was just coming to grips with their retraction and the ballooning controversy that had embarrassed his renowned research institution.

He titled his missive, “Apology regarding the paper retractions.” He wrote: “I am deeply ashamed of the fact that two papers of which I am an author were found to contain multiple errors and, as a result, had to be retracted.”

Part of what so shamed him, he said, was his failure as a mentor. “As a deputy director of our center, with responsibility for nurturing young researchers, I feel a deep responsibility for what has happened, and plan to comply with whatever decision Riken [research institute] finally reaches regarding my own status.”

Washington post

Japanese don't fool around with their honor.

“I also deeply regret the fact that as a co-author,” Sasai said in his note, “I was not able to identify these errors beforehand and to exercise my leadership to prevent this regrettable situation, including misconduct, from occurring.”

Its sad, he could have recovered from this and made useful contributions to society to redeem himself, at the same time its remarkable their commitment levels.

Aprils topic
edit on 5-8-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-8-2014 by Indigent because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Honor and dignity are highly regarded in Asian culture. So it
comes as no surprise that Sasai offed himself if he truly lied.

But what if he didn't lie?

Stem cells are the medicine of the future. Imagine growing
new organs in the body, replacing diseased tissue in real time
with a procedure as simple as creating a few well placed
"mildly adverse conditions".

If you were concerned about profit in the medical industry
you wouldn't want stem cells to suddenly be freely available
...and this is something the elite would want to keep to themselves.

I'm just sayin'....this is a conspiracy website, right?

edit on 5-8-2014 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
If stem cells are as incredible as they seem then of course they wouldn't want us to have it

Is it the aim depopulation?

new topics

join