It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish Independance & Possible Huge Oil Discovery

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
We have known this for a few years now, but according to anyone from the Better together camp "the oil is all but run dry" Been hearing this bollocks since the 70's when Thatchers and the Labour Governments lied through their collective teeth to convince us the the Oil is a Burden. 24 trillion £££ worth of oil

BP drilled in the Clyde basin in the 70's, found some serious Gas and oil reserves...MOD Blocked any drilling operations, well they need to get those WMD's in and out. West coast oil Bonanza

Is it Scotlands Oil?...As soon as it touches shore in places like Aberdeen, Grangemouth, The Shetlands (and quite possibly Faslane in the near future) after Independence, all the revenue generated will be Scotland's to share the Wealth within Scotland and Scotland alone. London can go .... themselves.

London and the English based Main stream media are doing their very best and will stop at nothing to feed us more BS....Well, Fool me once, springs to mind.
Anyone living in Scotland needs to have their heads examined if they intend to Vote to stay part of this Rotten, Corrupt, on it's last legs Union.. Alba Ga Brath...Judgment Day is upon us. SAOR ALBA..
edit on 5-8-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
One of the reasons I am not sure on how I would vote is that Alex Salmond wants to be in the EU.

I personally think that the UK as awhole or Scotland if it goes Yes, should get the hell out of the EU.

edit on 5-8-2014 by D8ncer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: KingIcarus

Oil is a geographical asset, tax revenue from oil in Scottish waters will go to Scotland. Non geographical assets and debts are subject to negotiations .

Eu membership has neither been ruled in or out. Think it is extremely unlikely that eu will decide to remove ciitizenship from over 5 million people.

Scotland will not be reliant on uk for defence nit sure,where you got thst idea from.

you are correct on currency union. Think salmond has got this one wrong and a new currency is way to go.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: stumason
It actually still amazes me that so many people still think Britain is England, and that the Scots are oppressed by the English.
I'm also waiting for later when the US members get here in force and someone will post yet another tiresome click from Braveheart.

I do wish the Scots good luck with it either way, and if they vote yes and some new oil fields are in their territorial waters then of course they are entitled to the taxes from it.

Oh and ScepticScot, I'd be amazed if the Welsh didn't kick right off if the rest of the UK was renamed The United kingdom of England and Northern Ireland, with no mention of Wales. A lot has changed since 1282 and it's status as a Principality - Perhaps the cross of St Andrew should also be replaced with a dragon on the Union Flag as well?

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Is it Scotlands Oil?...As soon as it touches shore in places like Aberdeen, Grangemouth, The Shetlands (and quite possibly Faslane in the near future) after Independence, all the revenue generated will be Scotland's to share the Wealth within Scotland and Scoland alone. London can go .... themselves.

You won't be inviting London to ... itself when you need defence, influence and your inevitable bail-out.

It's a moot point anyway given the necessity to negotiate a revenue sharing agreement.

Re: the EU thing - membership is arguably more valuable to smaller economies than larger ones. This said, Scotland not being EU would mean Duty Free whisky for nu:UK citizens on the border.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus
This said, Scotland not being EU would mean Duty Free whisky for nu:UK citizens on the border.

Even if Scotland stayed in the EU they could make a fortune in foreign export (GBP£) by slashing their taxes on alcohol and tobacco. I'd happily drive up and fill a transit van to sell on, back here in SW England, it's not like the border is ever going to be difficult to cross on the sly.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: D8ncer

If Scotland becomes independent then membership of Europe will be a major issue in the election that follows. I think the people will call for a referendum on that issue. I don't want to stay in Europe either.

Imagine for a moment being free from Whitehall, Westminster, City of London and more.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: KingIcarus

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Is it Scotlands Oil?...As soon as it touches shore in places like Aberdeen, Grangemouth, The Shetlands (and quite possibly Faslane in the near future) after Independence, all the revenue generated will be Scotland's to share the Wealth within Scotland and Scoland alone. London can go .... themselves.

You won't be inviting London to ... itself when you need defence, influence and your inevitable bail-out.

It's a moot point anyway given the necessity to negotiate a revenue sharing agreement.

Re: the EU thing - membership is arguably more valuable to smaller economies than larger ones. This said, Scotland not being EU would mean Duty Free whisky for nu:UK citizens on the border.

Why would we need ENGurlaaan to defend us...from whom...only threat i see is Engurlaaaan itself....Just for the record, we have defended ourselves quite well in the past, I'm sure we can still do it if the need arises.

As for the pound...it's a trading currency and anyone can use it. we already had talks with the man that counts on this matter, the governor of the Bank of England, not Gideon Osbourne... or maybe we will just use the Isle of Man currency, we have more in common with them anyway.

with regards to the EU...After independence, the People of Scotland will decide @ the Ballot Box if we join or not.
Not Alex Salmond.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

Oil is a geographical asset, tax revenue from oil in Scottish waters will go to Scotland. Non geographical assets and debts are subject to negotiations .

Eu membership has neither been ruled in or out. Think it is extremely unlikely that eu will decide to remove ciitizenship from over 5 million people.

Scotland will not be reliant on uk for defence nit sure,where you got thst idea from.

you are correct on currency union. Think salmond has got this one wrong and a new currency is way to go.

Re: the oil - revenue sharing probably isn't a good way of putting it. Edinburgh would be entitled to around 90% of license revenue, but they would likely lose a fair bit of it to legal challenges from UK based investment groups claiming that the market value of North Sea oil is significantly linked to their investment of the development of the industry and fields.

The EU seem adament that a devolved Scotland wouldn't automatically qualify for membership. 5m people or not, membership isn't hereditary. I don't doubt Scotland would qualify, although it'd be an expensive process.

Scotland would have it's own defence, but it'd be heavily reliant on the UK and it's island-wide defences - and nukes, of course. In reality, this probably isn't a major issue but Scotland's proposed armed forces would be unlikely to be able to repel a major attack without UK assistance.

If you lot want to go for it, I wish you well. I just think we're probably better together. There's nothing so wrong with the current UK that makes creating a new country a better option.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Sounds like you have it all worked out then.

That said, you don't get to vote on whether you want EU or not - the EU will decide whether you meet the criteria or not. You probably will, but the whole point of not getting automatic membership is that an independent Scotland is a largely unknown quantity with regard to many of the membership requirements.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

All existing contacts regarding oil would remain in place so why would there be any legal challenge? No one is proposing nationalisation.

There is no official EU position regarding Scottish membership as yet so nit sure how they can be adamantly opposed.

who exactly do you think is going to attack Scotland?

personally. I think there is a lot wrong with UK. If reform was an option i would consider that but as it isn't independence seems the best choice.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Have yet to see any convincing reason to stay together either. Also hate when we have this better together for defence nonsense.

Is this so we can get dragged into another pointless conflict to get those pesky terrorists. The bloody UK, US have got the world turned upside down with there so called freedom and democracy. Sick to the back teeth of it.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

If Scotland wins independence then The Scots had better start building some new houses. There is a nett balance off 400,000 Scots living in England that would have no right to remain here.
The actual figure of Scots living in England is just short of 800,000. Deduct the 400,000 English living in Scotland, and then do the maths.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Wonder how many English would also want to move to Scotland?

Would do wonders for jobs and our new economy all that building.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
This whole thread is a lesson in listening to utter bollocks from the "yes" camp.

Who knows how much oil there is around the shores of the British Isles and how much of that is economically extractable. The "known and proven" reserves show the peak has been reached and declining revenues will impact Scotland's aspirations to be (er) rich. If people are willing to bank their future on a "just imagine if" view then they will be disappointed.

The Scottish independence debate is based on a trip into the unknown based on promises by the SNP who have nothing to lose because it's a one way ticket. It plays to the "yes" crowd to make the unknown seem better, because if they are wrong it would be too late.

Anyway, Shetlanders want to be independent from Scotland. If Scotland can be independent and then why not them? That would really push a pile of crap on Scotland. Scotland with no oil is just tartan, deep fried Mars bars, Mel Gibson and Salmond. Even the universities will suffer with the reduced access to UK research grants, so expect the rich academic landscape to dwindle into mediocrity.

Regards

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I don't think for a moment we will start shipping people out. Independence doesn't have to be a negative thing.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

All existing contacts regarding oil would remain in place so why would there be any legal challenge? No one is proposing nationalisation.

There is no official EU position regarding Scottish membership as yet so nit sure how they can be adamantly opposed.

who exactly do you think is going to attack Scotland?

personally. I think there is a lot wrong with UK. If reform was an option i would consider that but as it isn't independence seems the best choice.

Existing contract will be honoured, of course (and split between the UK and Scotland), but future contracts will be contested with UK groups wanting a cut for making them possible. The oil situation is massively complicated, but what's almost certain is that Scotland won't be walking away with the lot given the amount of Union money invested in it. I would imagine the oil will be leveraged in the national debt discussion - Scotland won't be allowed to walk away scot free, so to speak.

The EU have written to Scotland telling them they won't receive automatic membership under current rules. Whether that holds, I've no idea, but that's their current position. At this point, there is a lot of discussion about Scotland having to declare as a new state, but little about it receiving hereditary status.

It's unlikely anyone would attack Scotland, but oil rich nations would do well to look over their shoulders as resources dwindle. There's a reason nations like Norway have mandatory military service - even if it's very easy to get exemptions in peace time.

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

We will open up the Clyde estuary and send you postcards.

2nd

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Any English living in Scotland would if course be welcomed as new Scottish citizens if they wished.
Are you proposing ethnic cleansing of Scots from England????

posted on Aug, 5 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Your post is nonsense from start to finish. To point out just one there is no campaign for the shetlands to be independent, this is a myth started by the house of lords.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join